WBC coming to WIU

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
wiu712

Here's the story about this from today's Quincy Herald-Whig:
Westboro anti-gay picketers plan local visits.
https://www.whig.com/20181107/westboro- ... cal-visits#//
wiu712

A message from President Thomas:

Dear University Community,

A Kansas-based organization has notified the University that its members will stage a public demonstration at our Nov. 17 football game. Western Illinois University does not condone the views or speech by this group, or similar organizations. Their beliefs do not align with our institution's core values, nor do we support their rhetoric.

This organization typically will document such demonstrations via video and photography. Let us show the world that Western Illinois University is committed to equity, civility, inclusion, diversity, and mutual respect, as well as peace. Let us practice the exact opposite of this organization's message. At Western, we value and support our LGBTQIA+ community, and an inclusive environment for all members of the University community.

Despite our vehement disagreement with this organization's opinions, Western Illinois University upholds the U.S. Constitution and acknowledges the rights of speech, expression, and religion afforded to all citizens. Public safety officials will take appropriate measures to ensure that our University community and members of the organization can safely express their views.

We must continue to work together to encourage a respectful, civil, supportive, and peaceful community.

Sincerely,

Jack Thomas
President
Western_101

So I'm not familiar with this group what is the perceived affront?

Is it this particular person's sexual orientation? or all people of this persuasion? They are not getting much bang for their collective buck here in Macomb. I suggest the Gay pride parade in Chicago's Boys town. Pretty tight knit community up there, This WBC group try those antics up there and they can fully expect a "tune up" with a complimentary "face rearrangement".

I find more often than not the people that discriminate are uneducated and insecure.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:53 am So I'm not familiar with this group what is the perceived affront?

Is it this particular person's sexual orientation? or all people of this persuasion? They are not getting much bang for their collective buck here in Macomb. I suggest the Gay pride parade in Chicago's Boys town. Pretty tight knit community up there, This WBC group try those antics up there and they can fully expect a "tune up" with a complimentary "face rearrangement".

I find more often than not the people that discriminate are uneducated and insecure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church
Here's a good article describing who they are and what they do: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ist-church
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

It will be interesting to see how the campus and community react to this. Some will probably want to just ignore it. Others will no doubt want to counter-protest. Hopefully it is all done with civility. I guess we could leverage it all to our advantage. Make the theme for the game "Bring a sign to the game day". On one side of the sign you have your protest preference spelled out. On the other side, something good to say about the Leathernecks. Hopefully there will be a lot more of the anti-hate rhetoric than the other side. This could get us some ESPN air time if we play our cards right.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Most of the students will be gone for Thanksgiving Break. But we are hearing reports that there will be some groups and organizations coming to Macomb for a counter-demonstration against the Westboro Church.

Suppose to be some biker groups present who will rev up their engines whenever the Westboro group starts one of their hateful chants.
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:40 pm Most of the students will be gone for Thanksgiving Break. But we are hearing reports that there will be some groups and organizations coming to Macomb for a counter-demonstration against the Westboro Church.

Suppose to be some biker groups present who will rev up their engines whenever the Westboro group starts one of their hateful chants.
Oh yeah just bring another group of idiots.
rocki

I don't get why people don't just ignore them. They want attention, why give them what they want?
sealhall74

I saw this earlier today on Twitter. Metaphorically speaking, I think this very well depicts why you don't just ignore a threat invading your territory. This kept me on the edge of my easy chair for the duration.

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

I will agree to disagree.