Forum Upgrade + New Template

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am Like it was last year is good. I think it was embedded on a page and I think you had a button on it to go to a full page view IRC. My eventual goal is to make it all run on one server which is the way it should be. But those google sheet formulas make it so nice. I just put in the game score in the Games sheet (also can run a trigger to have it done every hour or so) and the leaderboard gets automatically adjusted. I think mysql has update triggers, etc. to do the same thing. Whatever code you go with on the server, it needs to reach out to the NCAA site, Conference site, Massey site to get everything it needs. There is no manual entry of weekly schedule right now, it is all automated.
Yup, we can do the embedded thing again like last year.

I generally use php and cron jobs for my "time-based" updating of things. Most of the info on the front page of this site is actually loaded from local text files that are written/updated periodically by php scripts.
For example, the weather updates every 10 minutes from Weather Underground, the Athletics News section pulls from the various rss feeds, and the results/schedule section pulls from the Athletics site's schedule feed all on the same schedule (every 10 minutes). The info is parsed and written to local files, so when someone loads the page, it's loading a few local files rather than waiting on external sources/feeds to update.

Does your stuff just grab the pages themselves from those sites and parse out the data from that, or are there feeds (xml, json, etc.) where the data is made available?
I might start working on a basic test of that aspect of things in the meantime.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:34 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am Like it was last year is good. I think it was embedded on a page and I think you had a button on it to go to a full page view IRC. My eventual goal is to make it all run on one server which is the way it should be. But those google sheet formulas make it so nice. I just put in the game score in the Games sheet (also can run a trigger to have it done every hour or so) and the leaderboard gets automatically adjusted. I think mysql has update triggers, etc. to do the same thing. Whatever code you go with on the server, it needs to reach out to the NCAA site, Conference site, Massey site to get everything it needs. There is no manual entry of weekly schedule right now, it is all automated.
Yup, we can do the embedded thing again like last year.

I generally use php and cron jobs for my "time-based" updating of things. Most of the info on the front page of this site is actually loaded from local text files that are written/updated periodically by php scripts.
For example, the weather updates every 10 minutes from Weather Underground, the Athletics News section pulls from the various rss feeds, and the results/schedule section pulls from the Athletics site's schedule feed all on the same schedule (every 10 minutes). The info is parsed and written to local files, so when someone loads the page, it's loading a few local files rather than waiting on external sources/feeds to update.

Does your stuff just grab the pages themselves from those sites and parse out the data from that, or are there feeds (xml, json, etc.) where the data is made available?
I might start working on a basic test of that aspect of things in the meantime.
I try parse the pages. Some of it does not parse well and needs a lot of string replacing and regular expression magic to get to the point where it is parseable. I think I will grant you access to the project and you can look around if thats OK?
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

Scott, here is the URL for the published contest spreadsheet (warning, it wrapped on me and should be one long string):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... R7/pubhtml

If you can find a spot for it, I will send out invites using that URL link.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 am Scott, here is the URL for the published contest spreadsheet (warning, it wrapped on me and should be one long string):

Ok, should be good to go at http://www.leathernecknation.net/pickem.php
I also added a link in the menu at the top of the page. If everything looks good, we can start putting the word out about it (I've already had a few people ask me about it).
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:03 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 am Scott, here is the URL for the published contest spreadsheet (warning, it wrapped on me and should be one long string):

I also added a link in the menu at the top of the page. If everything looks good, we can start putting the word out about it (I've already had a few people ask me about it).
I am not sure it matters too much but could it be a https link just for consistency sake? Also the new window link?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:45 am

I am not sure it matters too much but could it be a https link just for consistency sake? Also the new window link?
Done, thanks for reminding me.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:14 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:45 am

Done, thanks for reminding me.
We are live. I sent out some invites but hit the limit of what Google lets me send so you might not have got one. I will send out a few more tomorrow, and maybe next day I guess.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 am We are live. I sent out some invites but hit the limit of what Google lets me send so you might not have got one. I will send out a few more tomorrow, and maybe next day I guess.
I tried registering myself and it gave me an undefined error. Is that related to your invite limit thing or something else? If I try registering again it says my username is taken, but it's not showing up in the list of usernames I can pick that are already registered.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 am We are live. I sent out some invites but hit the limit of what Google lets me send so you might not have got one. I will send out a few more tomorrow, and maybe next day I guess.
I tried registering myself and it gave me an undefined error. Is that related to your invite limit thing or something else? If I try registering again it says my username is taken, but it's not showing up in the list of usernames I can pick that are already registered.
I think it might be. Activation process takes more emails. It looks like you are in where you need to be. I took care of your activation manually if you want ot try and make some picks. Go ahead even though I currently have it set to tester mode. You dont show up on the leaderboard until you make some picks. Have to be activated to show up in the menu.

Also, one of the NDSU users apparently had something go wrong and got in 3 times. Have some cleanup to do with him.

UPDATE: It looks like I get 100 recipents per day and since I BCC myself you can probably divide that by 2 making it 50 which basically means about 25 invites plus 25 activations per day is the limit. I could and probably should have done the invites outside of the Google apps script world.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am
I think it might be. Activation process takes more emails. It looks like you are in where you need to be. I took care of your activation manually if you want ot try and make some picks. Go ahead even though I currently have it set to tester mode. You dont show up on the leaderboard until you make some picks. Have to be activated to show up in the menu.

Also, one of the NDSU users apparently had something go wrong and got in 3 times. Have some cleanup to do with him.

UPDATE: It looks like I get 100 recipents per day and since I BCC myself you can probably divide that by 2 making it 50 which basically means about 25 invites plus 25 activations per day is the limit. I could and probably should have done the invites outside of the Google apps script world.
Yeah it's not showing my nickname from last year as an option do I need to reregister