Homecoming Tailgate

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
wiu712

As previously mentioned by LocalYokelFan in the game thread, tailgating got out of hand and was shut down early by OPS.

Glass bottles were being thrown, and some people were jumping on cars. We have to hope that these were not Western students doing that. Lots of broken glass and scattered trash. Not a very good optic for fans returning to their cars after the game.

This will probably open up a discussion about making changes to the tailgating policies. I do have to wonder why people are still drinking in Q-Lot after the game has started.

In an unrelated event happening 12 hours later on West Adams Street, KHQA-TV-7 News is reporting that at approximately 3:45 a.m., Macomb Police responded to a shots-fired call in the 300 block of West Adams Street. The police determined that a fight had taken place prior to their arrival, and an unknown subject had fired 4 shots into the air during the altercation. No injuries were reported, and there was no indication that the subject fired the weapon at any person.
leatherface

Why oh why do poeple need to act like this. Drunks-plain and simple. Only takes this type of behavior to ruin it for everyone else. These folks were there for one reason only, and it wasn't any real interest in the game, it was to get drunk. There needs to be stringent enforcement of drinking areas which are patrolled, and arrests made-IMHO. Why should families put up with this type of behavior. You talk about folks not wanting to come to games, maybe this is one example.Nobody should or would put up with a bunch of drunks ruining an event.
wiu712

Gunshots Fired on W. Adams St. in Macomb.

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/gunshots-fired-w-adams-st-macomb
leatherface

I don't know what the OPS policy is on drinking in the tailgate area- it appears they are rather lax. Isn't excessive drinking and associated problems what caused the other official tailgate area to be closed a few years ago? If you feel you need to encourage drinking to boost attendance at your athletic events you have a problem. If police are lax in not wanting to interfere with the "fun", you have a problem.
I have been to many, many Big 12 and SEC games over the years, and seen many people taken out it handcuffs from the stadium or tailgate areas. IMHO, Western should have a designated area for drinking, it should be enforced by police, and if needed arrests made. How can you promote a family atmosphere when drunks seem to be over looked. It's not cute or funny any more. There's nothing wrong with responsible drinking, and the majority of folks are doing ok. However, for those who can't seem to control themselves, let mommy and daddy deal with an arrest for public drunkenness. No, me nor my kids are/were perfect, but isn't it time Western addressed this?
sealhall74

Putting an end to tailgating before game start (half hour is common, 15-20 minutes might be OK because QLot is so close) is a no-brainer IMO. What incentive is there for attendees to be in their seat for kickoff if you don't do it?
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Putting an end to tailgating before game start (half hour is common, 15-20 minutes might be OK because QLot is so close) is a no-brainer IMO. What incentive is there for attendees to be in their seat for kickoff if you don't do it?
I agree. Many other schools do this. If you're there for the game, go into the stadium to see it. If you're not there for the game and just want to drink, go somewhere else to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Two arrests have been made from the gun-shooting incident on West Adams: Two men from Kewanee.

According to the police, neither subject attends Western.
wiu712

Tailgating at Truman State ends 15 minutes before kickoff. That is the time frame that Western used when tailgating was in The Pit.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

So end it 15 minutes before game time. Students can either go to the game or go home! Most if not all of the people in the "old person" area pretty much headed for the game. Its a tweak that will help control things a bit more. ;) jc