Facilities Improvements - Misc

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Neckfansince71

They also have a much needed football building which we still have to address. The benefits of this would have a positive impact on all athletics and their athletes housed in Western Hall! ;) jc
GV Dad

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:29 am They also have a much needed football building which we still have to address. The benefits of this would have a positive impact on all athletics and their athletes housed in Western Hall! ;) jc
Completely agree! We are in need of serious football facility upgrades. And high tide raises all boats, as Football is the main revenue sport at any school that has football. Plenty of room North of the Stadium where the throwing areas are now.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:38 am
Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:29 am They also have a much needed football building which we still have to address. The benefits of this would have a positive impact on all athletics and their athletes housed in Western Hall! ;) jc
Completely agree! We are in need of serious football facility upgrades. And high tide raises all boats, as Football is the main revenue sport at any school that has football. Plenty of room North of the Stadium where the throwing areas are now.
Depends on what kind of building you're talking about. You'd be hard-pressed to fit in an indoor training facility in that space without taking decent chunk out of Q-Lot, unless you're going with only a partial-sized field. If you're just doing a couple of floors of offices, study areas, workout areas, and locker rooms (like Illinois State's Kaufman Football Building), then that would definitely fit in there just fine.

I did some checking of other schools in the MVFC and those that have indoor training facilities, here's the approximate measurements of their main buildings:
SDSU (Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Complex) - 526 ft x 284 ft
YSU (Watson and Tressel Training Site/WATTS) - ~519 ft x ~250 ft
NDSU currently just has their old field (Dakotah Field) and have an inflatable bubble they can put on it for part of the year, but they're currently fundraising for a big indoor football facility: https://spark.adobe.com/page/lssl2Kbdld4hA/
It looks like it'll be just under ~500 ft long and the building itself about 300 ft wide (they're building a second outdoor practice field next to it).

Illinois State (http://www.wjbc.com/2018/02/07/isu-athl ... tice-site/) and Missouri State are still in the planning/discussion stages (https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 854098002/)

From the back side of the north concessions area to Q-Lot is only about 375 ft. Width-wise, we're probably ok. If it's angled about 45 degrees from q-lot, it could fit there with one corner into where q-lot is, about three rows deep, mostly the current tailgate area.

Also, in other threads I've mentioned that I'd love to see a combination Soccer/Track facility so we can eventually get rid of the track around Hanson Field. YSU has something a lot like what I'd someday like to see with their Farmers National Band Field
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 am
Depends on what kind of building you're talking about. You'd be hard-pressed to fit in an indoor training facility in that space without taking decent chunk out of Q-Lot, unless you're going with only a partial-sized field. If you're just doing a couple of floors of offices, study areas, workout areas, and locker rooms (like Illinois State's Kaufman Football Building), then that would definitely fit in there just fine.

I did some checking of other schools in the MVFC and those that have indoor training facilities, here's the approximate measurements of their main buildings:
NDSU currently just has their old field (Dakotah Field) and have an inflatable bubble they can put on it for part of the year, but they're currently fundraising for a big indoor football facility: https://spark.adobe.com/page/lssl2Kbdld4hA/
It looks like it'll be just under ~500 ft long and the building itself about 300 ft wide (they're building a second outdoor practice field next to it).

Illinois State (http://www.wjbc.com/2018/02/07/isu-athl ... tice-site/) and Missouri State are still in the planning/discussion stages (https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 854098002/)

From the back side of the north concessions area to Q-Lot is only about 375 ft. Width-wise, we're probably ok. If it's angled about 45 degrees from q-lot, it could fit there with one corner into where q-lot is, about three rows deep, mostly the current tailgate area.

Also, in other threads I've mentioned that I'd love to see a combination Soccer/Track facility so we can eventually get rid of the track around Hanson Field. YSU has something a lot like what I'd someday like to see with their Farmers National Band Field
Maybe its just me, but If you are going to build a whole new West side++ at a cost probably in the neighborhood of $35-40M, it seems to me you should dig just a little bit deeper for another $3-4M to move the track and build a nice soccer/track complex.

Also, in a perfect world, the university would have already bought up all of that real estate on Orchard Drive east of the Hanson decades ago and cleared it for future buildings/parking.
Last edited by sealhall74 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 am

This was awesome, thanks for putting it together Scott!

As much as I would like to have upgrades to Hanson, I think it's much more important to get the Coaches the tools they need to recruit top talent to Macomb. We are not on a level playing field with teams that we are trying to compete with when it comes to facilities. A football facility with training, locker room, offices and meeting rooms is most important. The indoor practice area would be a bonus. I was told a few weeks ago, there is a push to raise funds for football facilities already happening, and it was getting great response from some big $$$ Alumns. Hopefully we can see some ground breaking or at least plans announced so the Coaches can start using this to recruit.
GV Dad

sealhall74

GV Dad wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Div 2 UCM in Warrensburg MO
Very nice but IMHO, I dont really like football only training and meeting areas. Lockerrooms, yes. But why shouldnt weights and theatre rooms be available for all sports. When we move up to the FBS and get an invite from the B1G, I will change my mind though. :lol:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:50 pm Maybe its just me, but If you are going to build a whole new West side++ at a cost probably in the neighborhood of $35-40M, it seems to me you should dig just a little bit deeper for another $3-4M to move the track and build a nice soccer/track complex.
That was my thought too. Do the track/field soccer complex with turf and halfway decent drainage...river and woods are right behind there, I wonder if they could elevate the field by a foot or two above the surrounding area, then run a drainage pipe from under the field into the woods or down towards the river? Take out the track and put down concrete around most of it, build the new west side stands much closer to the field. Then whenever we are able to do future renovations, we can just work things closer over time....put in more semi-permanent end zone seating if attendance ever warrants it, move the fence further in, etc.

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm Very nice but IMHO, I dont really like football only training and meeting areas. Lockerrooms, yes. But why shouldnt weights and theatre rooms be available for all sports. When we move up to the FBS and get an invite from the B1G, I will change my mind though. :lol:
I think those areas could fairly easily be shared between the athletics teams. Maybe give football "first dibs" on the theater rooms, but allow other teams access to them too. Also, just FYI, even Florida State's weightroom is open to all athletes, so even some of the big boys share resources like that.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm
GV Dad wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Div 2 UCM in Warrensburg MO
Very nice but IMHO, I dont really like football only training and meeting areas. Lockerrooms, yes. But why shouldnt weights and theatre rooms be available for all sports. When we move up to the FBS and get an invite from the B1G, I will change my mind though. :lol:
If Football was out of Western Hall, it would free up a lot of room to renovate those areas for the other teams.
sealhall74

I gotta question. Does the Athletics Department have an "Open House" during the year when anyone and everyone can tour the facilities. I would show up for that. Most of us alumni dont even know what we have now.