We'll be back

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:32 pm
Tere North wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:22 pm Would we ever have college sports without fans in the stands? I think the answer is yes as long as the fans can be virtually in attendance via TV and internet streaming. The challenge is how to get the fans engaged from a distance. Tweets and messages can be displayed on the electronic ribbon boards in the arena. Text in the requests for the pep band (or DJ) to play. It's all doable today. I had Windy City Dueling Pianos play for my wedding reception in December (they do the bar scenes here at the Speakeasy in Rock Island and Chicago area). The owner is now broadcasting live on facebook from his house on the weekends until this thing is over. People can comment in with song requests. Paypal and Venmo are used to put the "tips in the jar" so to speak. When this is over, entertainment from a distance may be the preferred option for many.
But too dangerous for the teams traveling and then coming back to infect their campuses.
Are not the Pros figuring out how to play H-O-R-S-E from a distance and is not ESPN interested enough to broadcast it? Athletes don't even need to leave home to compete for some sports (e.g. rifle). LOL
Shooting a rifle inside a home seems just a bit dangerous
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:22 pmI had Windy City Dueling Pianos play for my wedding reception in December (they do the bar scenes here at the Speakeasy in Rock Island and Chicago area). The owner is now broadcasting live on facebook from his house on the weekends until this thing is over. People can comment in with song requests. Paypal and Venmo are used to put the "tips in the jar" so to speak. When this is over, entertainment from a distance may be the preferred option for many.
A friend of mine who is also a restaurant/club/bar piano player in the Chicago area has been doing the same thing for the last few weeks. A couple of the shows he's done have specifically been for a charity, but he's also got a venmo "tip jar" for requests and stuff. The last few weekends, he's been doing 2-hour shows, with "family friendly" stuff the first hour (6-7 pm) and his regular stuff in the second hour. My kids love watching/listening to him streaming on the TV, and my daughter freaked out when he gave a shout out to her for a request.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... &__tn__=-R
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

The Western Illinois University Board of Trustees approved at its meeting today, held via teleconference, to grant presidential authority to make decisions regarding refunding or crediting mandatory and special Spring 2020 student fees and the FY21 student health insurance fee.

Due to circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Board authorizes Interim President Martin Abraham to make decisions and take the necessary actions, with regard to refunding or crediting students mandatory fees and special fees for the Spring 2020 semester. The Board granted this authority to the Interim President until the sooner of the state of emergency being lifted or until the next Board of Trustees meeting.

The Board also approved a resolution to keep the Fiscal Year 2021 student health insurance rates level with FY20 at $795 per half year or $1,590 per full year, effective Aug. 1.
wiu712

UIS officials said in a statement today that all summer courses will be taught remotely.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:59 pm UIS officials said in a statement today that all summer courses will be taught remotely.
Western's will be as well, I've heard. No official announcement yet. We already had a ton of our summer classes online-only, so it's not as big of a change as having spring classes go online.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000