We'll be back

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Someone put a nice amount of time and effort into that promo.
sealhall74

The $64K question is do we expect to be back just like we were before this pandemic or do we prepare for the future of an entirely new normality in our lives. I am leaning toward the latter.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Iowa State University coaches and other athletic department staff members are getting pay cuts for one year to help offset lost revenue from the coronavirus pandemic.

Iowa State faces a $5 million shortfall this year because of the cancellation of the NCAA and Big 12 men's basketball tournaments.

The payroll cut will save more than $3 million. There also will be a temporary suspension of bonuses for coaches totaling another $1 million.
wiu712

An administrator from the Southeastern Conference was on ESPN Radio today. He said that June 1 will be a key date when it comes to deciding whether there will be college football this fall.

He said that if the students are not able to return to campus for the fall semester, there will not be any fall semester athletics.
wiu712

The 2020 college football season reportedly could be played in spring 2021.

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought a stop to major sports with increasing concerns for whether or not the 2020 college football season will start on time. As coaches and college administrators continue to navigate their way through an unprecedented time, there is reportedly talk about moving the upcoming season into 2021.

Oklahoma University announced Friday that it is suspending in-person activities through July 31.
Oklahoma’s decision casts further doubt on the college football season starting on time.
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:46 am The 2020 college football season reportedly could be played in spring 2021.

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought a stop to major sports with increasing concerns for whether or not the 2020 college football season will start on time. As coaches and college administrators continue to navigate their way through an unprecedented time, there is reportedly talk about moving the upcoming season into 2021.

Oklahoma University announced Friday that it is suspending in-person activities through July 31.
Oklahoma’s decision casts further doubt on the college football season starting on time.
The PGA Tour has announced a partial revised schedule. As of right now sounds like they are planning the first tournament back is Mid-June, but with no fans on the course.
sealhall74

Would we ever have college sports without fans in the stands? I think the answer is yes as long as the fans can be virtually in attendance via TV and internet streaming. The challenge is how to get the fans engaged from a distance. Tweets and messages can be displayed on the electronic ribbon boards in the arena. Text in the requests for the pep band (or DJ) to play. It's all doable today. I had Windy City Dueling Pianos play for my wedding reception in December (they do the bar scenes here at the Speakeasy in Rock Island and Chicago area). The owner is now broadcasting live on facebook from his house on the weekends until this thing is over. People can comment in with song requests. Paypal and Venmo are used to put the "tips in the jar" so to speak. When this is over, entertainment from a distance may be the preferred option for many.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:22 pm Would we ever have college sports without fans in the stands? I think the answer is yes as long as the fans can be virtually in attendance via TV and internet streaming. The challenge is how to get the fans engaged from a distance. Tweets and messages can be displayed on the electronic ribbon boards in the arena. Text in the requests for the pep band (or DJ) to play. It's all doable today. I had Windy City Dueling Pianos play for my wedding reception in December (they do the bar scenes here at the Speakeasy in Rock Island and Chicago area). The owner is now broadcasting live on facebook from his house on the weekends until this thing is over. People can comment in with song requests. Paypal and Venmo are used to put the "tips in the jar" so to speak. When this is over, entertainment from a distance may be the preferred option for many.
But too dangerous for the teams traveling and then coming back to infect their campuses.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:22 pm Would we ever have college sports without fans in the stands? I think the answer is yes as long as the fans can be virtually in attendance via TV and internet streaming. The challenge is how to get the fans engaged from a distance. Tweets and messages can be displayed on the electronic ribbon boards in the arena. Text in the requests for the pep band (or DJ) to play. It's all doable today. I had Windy City Dueling Pianos play for my wedding reception in December (they do the bar scenes here at the Speakeasy in Rock Island and Chicago area). The owner is now broadcasting live on facebook from his house on the weekends until this thing is over. People can comment in with song requests. Paypal and Venmo are used to put the "tips in the jar" so to speak. When this is over, entertainment from a distance may be the preferred option for many.
But too dangerous for the teams traveling and then coming back to infect their campuses.
Are not the Pros figuring out how to play H-O-R-S-E from a distance and is not ESPN interested enough to broadcast it? Athletes don't even need to leave home to compete for some sports (e.g. rifle). LOL