Restore The Glory

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
WIU0812

Looks like the flags came in and will be up on homecoming someone will have to take a pic since I can't make it
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Heard from Athletics that the flags came in...they'll be flyin' at Homecoming.

Apparently the photo doesn't really do it justice, but he says they're really nice looking:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/NEC8Uk1.jpg[/imgur]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Those will look nice!
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:Heard from Athletics that the flags came in...they'll be flyin' at Homecoming.

Apparently the photo doesn't really do it justice, but he says they're really nice looking:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/NEC8Uk1.jpg[/imgur]

So, given these new flags and our opponent, what kind of breeze should we hope for?

When the wind's from the west, I think that passing is best.
If the wind's from the east, it probably matters the least.
From the south? A punter's blessing I've heard from word of mouth.
A stiff gale from north, well that causes rushing game to burst forth.
My Dad would say it best, "That's enough about the weather, my son.
It will be a test, but any day is a good day to slap a loss on the Bison."
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

The entire women's basketball team has joined the Leatherneck Club! Outstanding ladies! ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote:The entire women's basketball team has joined the Leatherneck Club! Outstanding ladies! ;) jc
NFS71, JD ain't coaching no dummies. :D

http://www.goleathernecks.com/news/2014 ... 42108.aspx
WIU0812

Couple of updates from the leatherneck club email that went out today. Looks like we will have a video board Western Hall during the basketball season at the east and west ends of the court. Also, they are resurfacing the north tennis courts across from Western Hall to look purple which should be very nice! I always thought they should of made the track purple instead of read since it is around the football field. ST, maybe you could catch a picture of the tennis courts if you get a chance?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Video Board - yea, they'd mentioned that when we got the video stuff for the scoreboard at the football field. As soon as football season is over, they can pull down the panels and mount half of them on each end of Western Hall. That's one thing I think is really cool about the video board that we have...removable, reconfigurable, etc. They can split it into parts, change the shape, move it to other areas (like next time we host the Summit League Soccer Tournament...see about setting it up as a scoreboard/replay board for that too). Panels can be added or replaced on a panel-by-panel basis.

Tennis Courts - I'll see what I can do

Track - that's a good idea...next time they need to redo the track, make it purple. University of Washington has a nice looking one:

It was opened in 2013 and you can check out more info/photos here: http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.db ... =209263717
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

The next five years will be very interesting because of a few things that are at a tipping point. The west Hanson Field stands are obviously the first item which has to be done due to safety factors coming up and a big need to improve our facilities. The soccer fields continued problems will lead to a complete rebuild of the field to include much better drainage. I do see that the track is starting to show some wear and will most likely be less than 5 years before it has to be replaced as well. I like our baseball field and think our softball field is about par for what it needs to be. The new court and video board along with the new seats that are supposed to be coming for western hall will get us through at least the next 5 to 10 years there. The tennis courts are now improved and the swimming pool seems to be about par for next decade. This means that we can focus on those football, track & soccer going forward minus maintenance and planning for improvements of the other sports facilities.

I am sure everyone in the athletics department are well aware of this and the master plan will include these upgrades. With those being the three major items that are to be addressed I will be very interested in how they do it and if they find any cost effective ways of completing these. The one big thing is that they could combine the track with the football stands work or they could combine this with the soccer field work if they ever decided a move was beneficial or feasible. Doing combined projects at the same time poses a advantage which would be a savings in cost due to one mobilization of crews and being able to incorporate work at the same time, but leads to the problem of having enough funds to complete two projects at the same time without dragging either down. Will be a fun time going forward and will be interesting to see what changes come.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:
I am sure everyone in the athletics department are well aware of this and the master plan will include these upgrades. With those being the three major items that are to be addressed I will be very interested in how they do it and if they find any cost effective ways of completing these. The one big thing is that they could combine the track with the football stands work or they could combine this with the soccer field work if they ever decided a move was beneficial or feasible. Doing combined projects at the same time poses a advantage which would be a savings in cost due to one mobilization of crews and being able to incorporate work at the same time, but leads to the problem of having enough funds to complete two projects at the same time without dragging either down. Will be a fun time going forward and will be interesting to see what changes come.
Combine projects, combine underlying infrastructure (heating/cooling/concessions/restrooms/etc), combine something to reduce the overall cost. Yesterday, I stumbled on the Taj Mahal of DIII football stadiums (University of Mary Hardin-Baylor) and was very impressed. They combined a new Student Union with the Football Stadium in a very creative way. People can be dining in the Union and see what is happening on the field (sort of a poor man's suite area). Fans can quickly run into the Union Bookstore and grab some souvenirs. Two levels of seating so upper level viewers are closer to field. Also seating berms in both end zones. How smart is that design. UMBH is currently ranked #2 in the country.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crusade ... 1500%3B750