"Lady Leathernecks" ??

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
wiu712

Both WGEM-TV Sports Anchors (Tony Cornish, Jr. and Garrett Tiehes) have been using the term "Lady Leathernecks" when talking about the Women's Basketball team.

I don't know if they are doing this on their own, or if this has been an approved name change by Western Athletics ????
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:12 am Both WGEM-TV Sports Anchors (Tony Cornish, Jr. and Garrett Tiehes) have been using the term "Lady Leathernecks" when talking about the Women's Basketball team.

I don't know if they are doing this on their own, or if this has been an approved name change by Western Athletics ????
Nope, the athletics department has not made any change. All WIU men's and women's teams are "Fighting Leathernecks".
I reached out to Tony Cornish Jr. on twitter to clarify:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Thanks, Scott !
wiu712

On Saturday night's WGEM News, weekend sports anchor Garrett Tiehes was talking about the "Lady Leathernecks" win over North Dakota State.
leatherneckcountry

Technically there aren't lady leathernecks but i've always called them that.
sealhall74

I would give two lugnuts off the left front wheel of my truck to find "Lady Leathernecks" or anything remotely similar in the Quad City Times sports section. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.