Summit League's Future

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
wiu712

Interesting article in today's "McDonough County Voice" about the Summit League.

The article does mention that the League is aware of the financial concerns going on now at Western, and that they are monitoring the situation.

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... mit-league
Lakesbison

so word on the street in fargo is that UND is begging to get into the Summit/MVFC..

Their President has even talked with both commissioners about leaving the Big Sky.

Big Sky will waive their exit fee (that's how bad they DONT WANT UND)

I implore WIU to tell your president... NO... and HELL NO to this.

thanks
leatherneckcountry

I felt like they committed to the summit a few years ago but then decided to go to the Big Sky instead.
NIU#1FBinIL

Just posted this on another thread:
NIU#1FBinIL wrote:If the objective is to get the Summit to 12 members (assuming North Dakota is added as the 10th member), why not try to snag New Mexico State and maybe add SIU-e (St. Louis presence) as the 12th.

The incentive for NMST could be that if they cannot survive as an FBS Independent (likely) and have to drop down to FCS, that the football playing members of the Summit can get them into the MVFC.

I think adding New Mexico State is the best addition it could make in the current landscape.
NIU#1FBinIL

Actually, I have a related question regarding the Summit League's future.

If the Summit were to admit North Dakota that would make five Summit members (WIU, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND) that sponsor football. Under the scenario described above where the Summit accommodates New Mexico State football that would bring the total to six.

So the question, would the Summit ever consider sponsoring football with these six core members and then just add a minimum of two (I believe that eight is the minimum requirement needed to sponsor football as a league).

An alternative to what I suggested above could include swapping SIU-e for EIU, since EIU sponsors football or perhaps extend an offer to one of the football-playing MVC schools (UNI or SIU) and see if they'd like to join. That would bring the total of football playing Summit members to seven and stealing Youngstown State from the remains of the MVFC would make the eight required.

Summit League: WIU, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, NMSU, EIU (or UNI or SIU), IUPUI, IPFW, UNO, Denver, ORU

Summit League Football: WIU, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, NMSU, EIU (or UNI or SIU), YSU (Football-only)

Q: Why would a team leave MVC basketball for Summit League basketball?
A: If Wichita State leaves (appears that they are exploring options to leave), what is left? This makes more sense for Northern Iowa as they have a strong football history while the other MVC/MVFC schools are really "basketball-first" schools. A Summit League with Northern Iowa and New Mexico State basketball can be just as good/better as a MVC without Wichita State, Northern Iowa, and Creighton (already gone) plus Northern Iowa could remain in a football league with NDSU.

If the Summit League could "steal" Northern Iowa, here is what Summit League football look like.

SUMMIT LEAGUE FOOTBALL
- Western Illinois
- North Dakota State
- South Dakota State
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
- Northern Iowa
- New Mexico State
- Youngstown State*

*Football-only
Rabbit74

Only 6 teams are required for a football conference in FCS. The Big South is an example of this.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Rabbit74 wrote:Only 6 teams are required for a football conference in FCS. The Big South is an example of this.
Required...yes, but I don't think we want to stick with the minimum required, in case there's any other instability down the road.

As for Summit League Football...I've never really been big on that idea personally, but maybe that's just because of our long history playing against Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and Northern Iowa.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
NIU#1FBinIL

Rabbit74 wrote:Only 6 teams are required for a football conference in FCS. The Big South is an example of this.
Good to know and thank you for that. I know it's eight for FBS conferences.

That actually facilitates the possibility (if the Summit League wanted to pursue it).
NIU#1FBinIL wrote:If the Summit were to admit North Dakota that would make five Summit members (WIU, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND) that sponsor football. Under the scenario described above where the Summit accommodates New Mexico State football that would bring the total to six.
If the above plays out and UND joins the Summit League the SL could offer membership to New Mexico State in the event that it drops to FCS football and New Mexico State would give the Summit League the six required schools to sponsor football.
ST_Lawson wrote:Required...yes, but I don't think we want to stick with the minimum required, in case there's any other instability down the road.
As ST_Lawson points out, the bare minimum wouldn't be ideal but it would allow it and that can be the starting point to growing the football side of the conference without the burden of having to take members that may not pass a longer/more meticulous vetting process.

I think that New Mexico State basketball would be a great addition to the Summit League and, despite the relative lack of success at the FBS level, New Mexico State football has the facilities and history to be successful at the FCS level.
Rabbit74

I agree that 6 teams would not be ideal. It creates scheduling hassles etc as well as vulnerability if one team elects to leave. And most importantly, I would hate to see the strongest FCS conference break up. If UND does join, it would make and equal number of Summit League and Missouri Valley teams in the conference with 5 each plus Horizon member Youngstown. It could make for some interesting voting dynamics compared to now when the Valley has one more vote than the Summit.
OldHare

The Summit League likely is not interested in starting a football offering at this time. 5 years or more that might pop up. The only concern Douple has now is making a better conference for the sports that are sponsored. He was concerned about the politically correct Sioux moniker in the past and now that we have the Fighting Hawks there is less resistance and larger dollar signs on the register. Douple has been successful with the conference by adding Denver, UNO, and bringing ORU back. He is likely not ready to put the full service football approach to the league menu.