2020 State Budget

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

No surprises, but Governor Pritzker officially signed House Bill 62 into law today.
This is the infrastructure bill that allocates $94.5MM to Western "For the construction of a science building, and other capital improvements".
It also sets aside $28,931,200 for the following: "...for miscellaneous capital improvements including construction, capital facilities, cost of planning, supplies, equipment, materials, services and all other expenses required to complete work at the various higher education institutions. These appropriated amounts shall be in addition to any other appropriated amounts which can be expended for such purposes."

Also, not related to Western specifically, but in the area: $6,077,700 to Spoon River College "For the renovation of Macomb CTE/nursing building, and other capital improvements".
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Yippee, I saw the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile on Macomb cam. We can forget all about our budget woes for at least the length of the parade. Driving that thing is my dream volunteer job in retirement.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think it's doing a tour of Hy-Vee's. We saw it in Springfield at a Hy-Vee last week. Yesterday it was at the Macomb Hy-Vee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

A 2014 artist's rendering shows a new Science Building planned for the Western Illinois University campus. This year's state budget earmarks $94.5 million over six years for the project, which could include a new building and renovation of existing facilities.

sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:03 pm A 2014 artist's rendering shows a new Science Building planned for the Western Illinois University campus. This year's state budget earmarks $94.5 million over six years for the project, which could include a new building and renovation of existing facilities.

Where is it going to be located?
Neckfansince71

Will sit just north of Currens Hall! ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm Will sit just north of Currens Hall! ;) jc
Very good. That way I will be able to see it to my left when walking across the new Sky Bridge over University Drive from Western Hall to Brophy. ;)

BTW, I want to see "Welcome to Leatherneck Country" in big bold letters on that Sky Bridge.

Hey, once you start building something, you want to keep building more things. It's in your blood. :lol:
wiu712

Higher education official hopeful new funding will stem tide of student out-migration.
From Capitol News Illinois:
https://www.capitolnewsillinois.com/Blo ... blog-post/
wiu712

Western Illinois University's departing leader gets $540,000 payout: Former lawmaker says payout violates spirit of severance cap law.
From the Center Square Illinois:
https://www.thecentersquare.com/illinoi ... 92dd3.html
Neckfansince71

FYI, Jeanne Ives lives a couple of blocks away from me. I had a oneway chat with her a couple of years ago! ;) jc