New marketing

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Wow, when Dr. Abraham said that they were going to be doing new branding and using the block W logo a lot more, I didn't realize it'd be this soon. Back page of one of the sections of our local McDonough County Voice newspaper. Ad looks pretty good...and hey...I'm in the photo.
It's from last year's home game against Montana (I can tell because it's on the west side, and that's the only game I sat over there). I'm about center left, with a white and grey hat, and sunglasses.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

The Bell Tower logo did not do much for us. Many colleges have one somewhere on campus.

Only two colleges in Illiinois have a W in the name (Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan) so if you are trying to stand out from the crowd, it makes a lot of sense.

I hereby dub the W as the official logo of all Leatherneck Nation.

The 64K question is what is the official color scheme for the W. I would go with Purple AND a strongly visible Gold border trim.

Maybe we need a poll to answer this one. I definitely will not start on the dart board cabinet for my man cave in new house until this issue is resolved. ;)

This is the Washington Huskies logo. I could see something similar with a little more Goldish border trim. This one does not have blocks at the bottom or upper middle though. Simpler is better in my mind. The W proudly stands on its own. It does not need "blocks" to rest on IMHO. Or maybe therei is copyright infringement issues here and we certainly would not want to piss off a P5.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:11 am The Bell Tower logo did not do much for us. Many colleges have one somewhere on campus.

Only two colleges in Illiinois have a W in the name (Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan) so if you are trying to stand out from the crowd, it makes a lot of sense.

I hereby dub the W as the official logo of all Leatherneck Nation.

The 64K question is what is the official color scheme for the W. I would go with Purple AND a strongly visible Gold border trim.

Maybe we need a poll to answer this one. I definitely will not start on the dart board cabinet for my man cave in new house until this issue is resolved. ;)
I agree...I like this logo much better. I don't know if it'll replace the bell tower logo on things like official letterhead or business cards, but I think we'll see it used a lot more in the future. I'm sure we'll get the style guide updated with the new info fairly soon. There's a bit about it near the end of the logos page of the Visual ID guide currently: http://www.wiu.edu/vpaps/styleguide/logos.php
But I'd imagine we'll do more with it.

The only other DI universities I can think of with a block W-type logo are:
Western Michigan, which has a border around it and is usually in their gold color with a black or brown outline, or
University of Washington, which does have similar colors to us (purple and more of an "old gold"), but uses an asymmetrical W as opposed to our symmetrical one.

Western Michigan:

University of Washington:

WIU's Block W:

Neckfansince71

I am going to bet that this block W will not only appear on the Macomb campus, but at the quad cities campus as well! ;) jc
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 am I am going to bet that this block W will not only appear on the Macomb campus, but at the quad cities campus as well! ;) jc
Absolutely!! It MUST.

And let's get it on the webpages too. With the Web CMS, this should be a quick fix!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote:
Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 am I am going to bet that this block W will not only appear on the Macomb campus, but at the quad cities campus as well! ;) jc
Absolutely!! It MUST.

And let's get it on the webpages too. With the Web CMS, this should be a quick fix!!
I'm sure we'll be working on it pretty soon. Should be pretty easy to change on most pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leatherneck10

It’s a flipped Minnesota M. It looks classic. Major improvement.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's the block W on the new move-in signs:

wiu712

If the new block "W" is going to be in Purple, we are going to have to change all of the "Western" flags on campus.

They have a Gold "W" on a Purple background.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:If the new block "W" is going to be in Purple, we are going to have to change all of the "Western" flags on campus.

They have a Gold "W" on a Purple background.
Usually there's a few color variations on logos. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up using purple on white or light backgrounds, and gold or white on purple backgrounds. Possibly also white on other dark backgrounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk