Performing Arts Center

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
WIU0812

Just announced on the Western Courier facebook page, there will be a press conference regarding the Center for Performing Arts building on Wednesday at 3:45PM. Governor Quinn is expected to be in attendance. Looks like they will provide updates via twitter and would not be surprised if there is a live feed. Lets all cross our fingers and hope that this is the announcement that the money has been given to school and construction can start! Below is the picture they posted, which I am assuming was from the first announcement as I see the WIU News mic there.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I can't say anything definite either, but I can tell you that I was contacted late this morning to do some major updating on a page that I manage that directly relates to this. Something really big is going to be announced very soon. As soon as the page is approved to go live I'll post a link here for you guys to take a look at.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Here is an article posted on the McDonough Voice website regarding this. http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/article/2 ... /140429886
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The page I've worked on is now live: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/cpa.php
It's the Center for Performing Arts. From what I've heard, the governor will be in town to announce that funding for the facility will be released to the university. This may not mean that it will get released right away, but that we'll get the money in the near future.
Construction should start late this year or early 2015 and it should be completed by Spring semester 2018 (if the current timeline holds).

There's also some really nice renderings on the page of what the main theatre and one of the smaller ones will look like. The Proscenium Theatre (Great Hall) is going to hold 1,400 people, which, as near as I can tell from a quick check, is the second largest theatre at a public university in the state.

For comparison:
Krannert Center (University of Illinois) holds just over 2,000 seats in their main theatre.
Center for the Performing Arts (Illinois State) has 650 seats in their concert hall
Center for Performing Arts (Governor's State) has 1,171 seats
Shryock Auditorium (Southern Illinois) has 1,200 seats
Doudna Fine Arts Center (Eastern Illinois) has a great website but only 568 seats in their main concert hall
I couldn't find anything listed for a Performing Arts Center at Northern Illinois...anyone know what the name of their main theatre/auditorium/concert hall is?

So, once the CPA is complete, we'll have the following performance spaces on campus:
Proscenium Theatre (Great Hall @ CPA) - 1400 seats
COFAC Recital Hall (Simpkins Hall) - 500 seats
Hainline Theatre (Browne Hall) - 387 seats
Thrust Theatre (CPA) - 250 seats
Horrabin Theatre (Horrabin Hall) - 161 seats
Studio Theatre (CPA) - 150 seats

I've heard that the Simpkins Theatre (100-138 seats depending on layout) is going to be "retired" and that the Studio Theatre in the new CPA will essentially replace it. It's also possible that with the addition of the 250 seat thrust-style theatre in the CPA, that they'll "retire" the Horrabin Theatre as well, since both would essentially do the same thing, with the CPA one being newer and holding 100 more people.

Now if they can just figure out where those people are going to park....
WIU0812

Awesome news! This is very good for school because once this is done they can stop worrying about it and move on to next item on agenda.

Last edited by WIU0812 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tere North

My understanding is that part of the construction will be a new parking garage that will take over the current Band practice field. Also supposed to involve a new entry way to campus.
wiu712

Scott,

You forgot Sangamon Auditorium at UIS. It's seating capacity is 2,018.
WIU0812

Tere North wrote:My understanding is that part of the construction will be a new parking garage that will take over the current Band practice field. Also supposed to involve a new entry way to campus.

I remember in past them saying that they were in great need of building a parking deck where the parking lot on west side of Western Ave was located and that yes it would take up a portion of the band practice field also. I would expect this to be large enough to hold all the parking required for a large even that would fill the new building. As for the entry way that is news to me.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU712 - ah, ok thanks. Still, 1400 seats is pretty decent for a town of our size. Should be very nice.

Tere - I'd heard that at one point (parking structure across the street), but it wasn't mentioned in the newest info that they had me post. So I don't know if that's still included or if they're going to wait on that. If they do that though, they'll have to figure out something for the marching band then. Maybe something on the Vince Grady Field, around the existing practice fields for football and soccer...

(hey look, I can see my car from here)

Also, you can view some higher-res versions of those images here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/107985352 ... 234053243/
WIU0812

I think this will happen though it may not happen right away. I know the need for parking in that area will be great, especially if they even plan on having any events there. Probably would be dreaming, but a walkway from the second level of parking garage across road would be ideal. I know the plan has always been to place at least one of similar size as the parking lot there. If they went 4 stories high it would provide a good amount of parking and leave the band field.