Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm
Tere North wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pmWith only 815 freshmen, they would easily fit into a single residence hall with lots of room to spare.
Bayliss-Henninger houses approx 800. Tanner Hall also houses approx 800. Total = 1,600.

So a freshman class of 815 would probably require all 3 dorms to remain open. There will just be a lot of empty floors in one of those dorms.

But I am not sure if that 815 number is the total number of freshmen at both campuses, or if it is the number for Macomb only.

If the combined total is 815, that would mean fewer than 800 at Macomb. That would allow all freshmen at Macomb to be housed entirely in either Bay-Henn or in Tanner.
When it gets to the point of shutting down another dorm it will be Tanner. Bay-Henn is still in pretty good shape Tanner not so much.
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:30 pm Essentially, it didn't so much "fail" as "was cancelled" by Dr. Thomas, with the idea being that he may not be here for very long, and whomever is the new president might want a say in the provost position. He didn't want to hire someone now only to have them be swapped out for someone else in a few months. So it sounds like Dr. Neumann will continue to be the interim provost for now.
Why has Neumann been "interim" for so long? She became interim Provost on May 20, 2015, now 3 years ago. I would have thought she'd either be removed or name Provost after the first year, as all other interims have been.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:30 pm Essentially, it didn't so much "fail" as "was cancelled" by Dr. Thomas, with the idea being that he may not be here for very long, and whomever is the new president might want a say in the provost position. He didn't want to hire someone now only to have them be swapped out for someone else in a few months. So it sounds like Dr. Neumann will continue to be the interim provost for now.
Why has Neumann been "interim" for so long? She became interim Provost on May 20, 2015, now 3 years ago. I would have thought she'd either be removed or name Provost after the first year, as all other interims have been.
I don't know why. In my personal opinion, she should have been officially named Provost before she even got to 1 year as "interim".
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:45 pm
Tere North wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 pm
I don't know why. In my personal opinion, she should have been officially named Provost before she even got to 1 year as "interim".
I’ve been told that she doesn’t want it you could tell at graduation that public speaking definitely isn’t her thing.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 am I’ve been told that she doesn’t want it you could tell at graduation that public speaking definitely isn’t her thing.
I agree that she's more of a "behind the scenes" type of person, although I do know that she was trying for the position earlier in the process. She actually didn't make it all the way to the most recent "round" though, so idk what the deal was there.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm
Tere North wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pmWith only 815 freshmen, they would easily fit into a single residence hall with lots of room to spare.
Bayliss-Henninger houses approx 800. Tanner Hall also houses approx 800. Total = 1,600.

So a freshman class of 815 would probably require all 3 dorms to remain open. There will just be a lot of empty floors in one of those dorms.

But I am not sure if that 815 number is the total number of freshmen at both campuses, or if it is the number for Macomb only.

If the combined total is 815, that would mean fewer than 800 at Macomb. That would allow all freshmen at Macomb to be housed entirely in either Bay-Henn or in Tanner.
I was thinking more of Thompson, where I really think freshman should be. Imagine, come to Western as a freshman only to find out you are housed in Bay-Hen where breakfast isn't served, other meals are limited, and you are not close to any of your classes. Wow, what a way to welcome new freshmen, put them out in the North 40 away for campus to ensure they won't feel part of the campus community.

I believe Thompson houses 1,500 or so, so definitely enough for all incoming freshmen.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 am I was thinking more of Thompson, where I really think freshman should be. Imagine, come to Western as a freshman only to find out you are housed in Bay-Hen where breakfast isn't served, other meals are limited, and you are not close to any of your classes. Wow, what a way to welcome new freshmen, put them out in the North 40 away for campus to ensure they won't feel part of the campus community.

I believe Thompson houses 1,500 or so, so definitely enough for all incoming freshmen.
Plus Thompson has been recently renovated, so I feel like it'd be kinda "putting our best foot forward".
All freshmen in Thompson, then as sophomores they can chose where they want to live. Probably you could allow non-freshmen to choose Thompson as well, but only until it's "full", with priority towards athletes and maybe other students who might need to be on that end of campus more often. Upper classmen can live on or off campus if they want.
sealhall74

I know most places do it, but sticking kids in dorms based on year in school seems like a recipe for total disaster IMHO. Better to arrange them based on some similar characteristics. If you are at West Point, everyone on your floor is in the same "company" within the corps of cadets and you can guarantee your senior leader is not far away. Other places, maybe put all of the music majors in close proximity with special practice rooms. Computer people get a dorm with the biggest and best computer lab space. I think you have to get to the point where you are offering kids something not found at other colleges. Maybe it is even first year students can get a single room (assuming rooms available) if they want one for not too much more in cost.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 amI believe Thompson houses 1,500 or so.
Thompson houses approx 1,000. Enough room for this year's freshman class.

The lack of food service availability at the Bay-Henn dining center does not seem like a good way to welcome new students.
wiu712

The article in Tuesday's paper has been the topic of much conversation in town.

Also in play at this time is a decision on a State Budget. The May 31 deadline is fast approaching.