Football Recruits - 2019

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:36 pm What does everyone think we should focus on this recruiting season?

Personally, LB, DB, DL, WR,RB, and never hurts to have OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's some data and graphs to look at regarding that. It shows our current roster (players tab), numbers and % for each position and each year (Totals tab), and some bar graphs that show visually who's where.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:55 pm
WIU2DC wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:36 pm What does everyone think we should focus on this recruiting season?

Here's some data and graphs to look at regarding that. It shows our current roster (players tab), numbers and % for each position and each year (Totals tab), and some bar graphs that show visually who's where.
Great work as always Scott.. I still say they need a play maker at RB and maybe one of the Freshman will fit that bill, but I would like to see them go after a JUCO or Grad transfer at RB.
Last edited by meganeck on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:30 am

Great work on always Scott.. I still say they need a play maker at RB and maybe one of the Freshman will fit that bill, but I would like to see them go after a JUCO or Grad transfer at RB.
Agree to me we need a lot of impact players on offense if we could find another JC Baker I think we need an impact WR as well and if we could find a QB as well. On the Defense we could use some more debt at DB i was shocked to hear that we were so high in the valley against the pass but i think that was more of the ability to get to the QB. You can never have to many LB's. Like it or not I think we are going into rebuild mode.
leatherneckcountry

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly we got Norvell Baker and Hi C Scott all in 2013 that's what we need again.
meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:43 am
meganeck wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:30 am

Great work on always Scott.. I still say they need a play maker at RB and maybe one of the Freshman will fit that bill, but I would like to see them go after a JUCO or Grad transfer at RB.
Agree to me we need a lot of impact players on offense if we could find another JC Baker I think we need an impact WR as well and if we could find a QB as well. On the Defense we could use some more debt at DB i was shocked to hear that we were so high in the valley against the pass but i think that was more of the ability to get to the QB. You can never have to many LB's. Like it or not I think we are going into rebuild mode.
You could always use WR's but I think we are fine at WR, if they all return. I wonder if they would take a transfer at QB. Coach Elliott seems high on Sampson at QB, but then again I guess what is he supposed to say.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote:
meganeck wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:30 am Great work on always Scott.. I still say they need a play maker at RB and maybe one of the Freshman will fit that bill, but I would like to see them go after a JUCO or Grad transfer at RB.
You could always use WR's but I think we are fine at WR, if they all return. I wonder if they would take a transfer at QB. Coach Elliott seems high on Sampson at QB, but then again I guess what is he supposed to say.
I thought Sampson did pretty well against NDSU late in the game. He did have an interception, but NDSU was just scoping out everything that day. Up till then, he had some solid throws. That's pretty limited situation though, so who knows if that'll translate to full games.

Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:24 am
meganeck wrote:

I thought Sampson did pretty well against NDSU late in the game. He did have an interception, but NDSU was just scoping out everything that day. Up till then, he had some solid throws. That's pretty limited situation though, so who knows if that'll translate to full games.

You could pull somebody off the street and they couldn't do worse than McGuire at using your own feet to get yards. I'm eager to see what this
Sampson kid can do.

Somebody say J.C. Baker? I like the oldies as long as we're playing the hits throw in some Travis Glasford. We have had some real nice running backs through the years.
leatherneckcountry

RedNeck wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:59 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:24 am
meganeck wrote:

You could pull somebody off the street and they couldn't do worse than McGuire at using your own feet to get yards. I'm eager to see what this
Sampson kid can do.

Somebody say J.C. Baker? I like the oldies as long as we're playing the hits throw in some Travis Glasford. We have had some real nice running backs through the years.
I'm not old enough to remember Glasford I through out Baker cause I knew he was a transfer.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

If we're talking about transfer RBs, you can't leave out Aaron Stecker. Was going to be a starter at Wisconsin, until Ron Dayne came along (1999 Heisman Trophy winner). Stecker transferred to WIU for his last two years and pretty much obliterated most of the school rushing records at that time.

His 1997 season set school records that quite possibly will never be eclipsed. He's the only WIU RB to run for over 2k yards in a season...had 27 rushing TDs...176 yards per game. He's #3 on the career rushing list despite only playing 2 years. Go look at the record books for rushing in a season and see how much further ahead than the #2 guy in most categories.

He also ended up with a much longer NFL career than Dayne did.

Western_101

Ahhh yes, Stecker. I was a Senior at Western that year. Young and naive (now old and senile) I had no idea that Aaron was so far above the level of play of the Gateway League. We shall never see his likes again. The stars aligned for him to land in Western's lap he was a a starting P-5 level running back to say the least. Seems like we have found ways to get some good ones though....Charles, Travis, Herb, JC, Nikko, McShane.....who am I forgetting?