WIU at Missouri State (10/20/2018)

letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:58 pm
letsgonecks wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:28 pm WIU getting the W here starts and ends with stopping Huslig. The reason they don't allow the sacks is his ability to move and make plays with his feet. He is the real deal and fearless. Bring pressure with blitzing LB's and spy with a safety up in the box. This puts pressure on the CB's and single high safety if we don't get home, but limit his running or at least big plays and we'll win this game.
This is a big part of why I like our chances. Saunders, Moon, Swenson, Fitzpatrick, etc....our defense is very good at stopping the run.

Look at last week, for example. Now, Easton Stick is not the best running QB, but he isn't bad (196 rushing yards, 3rd best running QB in the conference, 7 rushing TDs) and his O-Line is really good.
They allowed 0 sacks in their first 3 games, SDSU had 3 against them, UNI had 1 against them, WIU....we had 4.
Stick ran for 49 yards and 1 TD against Cal Poly, 6 yards and 1 TD against North Alabama, 41 yards and 2 TDs against Delaware, 63 yards and 1 TD against SDSU, 35 yards and 2 TDs against UNI. Against WIU...2 yards, 0 TDs.
The other decent "running" QB we've played against is YSU's Montgomery VanGorder who has 155 yards rushing this season. No FCS teams have held him under 20 in a game (not a huge number, I know)...West Virginia held him to 16...WIU held him to 11 yards with 2 sacks (WVU had 1).
Obviously none of those stats exist in a bubble...the various situations, effectiveness of the passing game, many other factors...all play into how much or how well a QB runs. But, of the two top running QBs we've faced, we've held them to fewer yards than anyone else. I have confidence that our guys can do something similar this weekend. Probably not stop him completely, but slow him down enough to limit his abilities and force him to pass more.
Even holding MSU"s Andersen to 145 was a decent showing. The 3 other games he started at QB he put up 159, 211 and then 94 with 2 TD's against EWU. He had only 3 carries against Wagner for 64 yards and a TD.......beast!!!!!

We held Dalton Snead to 16 fewer yards than UNI and without a TD.

Bush was knocked out early, but was held in check with 3 yards on 5 attempts. He went for over 100 in 2 of his other 3 starts. Rivers had 36 on 9 carries.
letsgonecks

Any insider info on Tate's status? Is Wahee done for the year or is there potential to get him back soon? Looked legit in the Illini game before getting hurt. Would be great to add them both to the arsenal down the stretch.

Scott, can you do some recon at tomorrows practice or Friday's walk-through? See who's taking part and if any major parts are missing?

Wheeler wasn't on the 2 deep, so assuming he's still out. Had his arm in a sling last week, so down a DB. Muniz was out late last week, but hopefully back at it.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 pmScott, can you do some recon at tomorrows practice or Friday's walk-through? See who's taking part and if any major parts are missing?
No need to wait, I can do recon right now...here you go:

Oh...wait...that's probably not that helpful.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm
letsgonecks wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 pmScott, can you do some recon at tomorrows practice or Friday's walk-through? See who's taking part and if any major parts are missing?
p

No need to wait, I can do recon right now...here you go:

Oh...wait...that's probably not that helpful.
ST, when are going to install that drone landing pad on the roof of Seal? That would make your life a lot easier.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

If you have little running game and from what I can tell we are there, why not go all hurry up to maximize your receiving assets and minimize the special stunts and schemes the defense can call against you? Dont give them the time to replace their personnel for specific down and distance situations. Or, you can do the same thing and expect mostly the same results again. Whatever.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:12 pm ST, when are going to install that drone landing pad on the roof of Seal? That would make your life a lot easier.
Oh, just as soon as I win the lottery...or get a big raise...or the state funds WIU to the level that it really should be.
So...you know...probably never ;)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
tjk1985

The few members of the Leatherneck Football Family and Fun Tailgate that WILL be in Springfield are looking to set up shop by 10:00 am in the circled area here. We'll have ribs and some stuff if a few of you want to stop over and say hello! There will be a large flag pole with a Missouri State flag (TJ's old QB is there); a Chiefs flag, and a Western Illinois flag!

Western_101

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:28 pm If you have little running game and from what I can tell we are there, why not go all hurry up to maximize your receiving assets and minimize the special stunts and schemes the defense can call against you? Dont give them the time to replace their personnel for specific down and distance situations. Or, you can do the same thing and expect mostly the same results again. Whatever.
Agree with you Seal. Let's see if we can establish the running game against MSU. If we can't get the running game going against MSU perhaps we should have McShane line up as a reciever run hurry up with the shotgun have 4 recievers spread it out get some quick slants and quick outs and just speed it up. I'm only advocating abandoning the run if its clear that that has been taken away anyway.

McShane though lacking in height has as much speed and as good of hands as most starting wide outs at this level and he's got the YAC factor.
wiu712

Football looks to batter the Bears.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/42434/sports ... the-bears/

No easy games: WIU faces rejuvenated Missouri State.
From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... ouri-state

Western looks for big win at Missouri State.
From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... ouri-state

Western Illinois Leathernecks Set To Hit The Road This Weekend in The MVFC.
From WGEM Sports:
https://wgem.com/2018/10/18/western-ill ... -the-mvfc/
WIU2DC

I saw on Instagram Tony Tate was in Dekalb (Friday night). I am not sure when the team traveled to Missouri but that didn’t seem like it was a good sign of him playing today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk