Question on Family Day Game

GV Dad

Last year on Family Day we only had announced attendance of 4,011. I know the town was full of parents that day, and it was next to impossible to find hotel rooms. Why was attendance so low? What does family day consist of on Campus? What, if anything can be done to “push” people to Hanson field at 3:00? Would love to have 6 or 7 thousand since the people are already in town.
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:Last year on Family Day we only had announced attendance of 4,011. I know the town was full of parents that day, and it was next to impossible to find hotel rooms. Why was attendance so low? What does family day consist of on Campus? What, if anything can be done to “push” people to Hanson field at 3:00? Would love to have 6 or 7 thousand since the people are already in town.

I think step one is to re-engage the student body. When I was at WIU, I was one of a few that would go to the game. The seats were empty on the student side. (Granted we weren’t great when I was in school) But, if I was in charge of promotions of the football (or athletics for that matter) attendance, this is what I would do.

1. Engage the social clubs, frats, sororities, and the like on campus to have them show up to the tailgating and the game.

2. Solicit local business and try to get gift cards, prizes, or what not to be raffled off during the game. For example, $25 gift card to McDonald’s between the 1st and 2nd quarter, something at half time, in between the 3rd and 4th, and then a large prize at the end of the game. (Only allowed to get the gift you are at the game) and then a raffle for students, residences of Macomb/fans to put their name in a raffle for a super large prize given out at the end of homecoming but again have to be there to get it. Perfect world a car or something and the gift cards idea could be anything that’s big in Macomb now. Hopefully, WIU does that a few season, we get more competitive and maybe 5-10 years from now we made a student following.

3. For non-students or locals, free parking, a free hotdog or something, events for kids. A bouncy house or something of that sort. I know they invite local football programs for award and stuff, do that more. Have the local pee-wee team have a quick flag football game between quarters. (Brings their parents to the games)

4. Talk to local business and promote them during the game, and introduce their staff during quarters so they get promotion to the community and WIU adds bodies to the bleachers.

5. You start a following above, I think family weekend for students that aren’t football players will more than likely have their families go to the game as it’s part of the campus culture now.

Just my opinion, anyone else have some ideas?

If I ever win the lottery, I’ll put the car up for raffle haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

Maybe for Family Day they can have a “Best Tailgate Party” contest. Maybe get a Pizza Place in town to offer a $100 gift Card to go to the winning organization. Also, free or at least discounted tickets for all the Campus Organizations having family day activities?

Any idea is better than no idea. That’s the frustrating part, sitting in the stands looking at all the empty seats knowing that nothing was done to try and fill them.
sealhall74

Forgottonia Brewing tent in the endzone. Local food trucks (the ones that Forgottonia is having stop by their place) close by.

Update: I assume Forgottonia can take their brews on the road. May not be the case given their newness and/or Macomb beverage laws.
Last edited by sealhall74 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

I haven’t been to a game in Macomb since 2010 but I remember WIU got rid of the “pit” circa 2009? Is that still not a thing anymore? If that came back, it may attract more students to the game.

I also, think we need to understand that WIU will never have the following of NDSU or SDSU. Illinois just has too many FBS and FCS programs to follow and the Bears. But, there is no reason we can’t average 5-7K a home game. (Unless Macomb’s population has declined a lot since I was in school) Honestly, any idea besides the status quo is better than nothing. We need to try and figure out how to get more students in the stands and residences too.

Has there ever been any talk about moving the athletic programs to the Quad City campus? Higher population, easier to get to, and more attractions to attract talent. I have come back to Illinois twice for WIU games, one at NIU and the other at ISU. (Both W’s!) and simply because it’s easier to get to those schools than WIU from the suburbs of Chicago.

Side note, I went to the Montana State game last year and was speaking with one of their fans and they drove 4 hours for that game, and all of their home games. I was planning on going to NAU game this year but my new job will have me in Georgia for training so I won’t be making any games this year, besides the playoffs!

sealhall74

I have said for years that we need to have a couple of hoops games every year at the IWireless Now Taxslayer in Moline.

I just wonder how a football game at Modern Woodmen would go over. I assume it could be converted into a football field layout. Sight lines would not be great but the picturesque view along the Mississippi would be priceless.

IMHO, either you settle for status quo or you take some risks now and then to improve your situation,.

I was at the Montana State game last year. Their stadium and fanbase around reminded me a lot of what SDSU has going. Reality is Macomb is growing old. The townies just dont get out to the games like they used to. Where the students are, Lord only knows but someone needs to find out.

WIU2DC

The administration needs to do something about attendance. (Across all athletics) I do think the starting point should be student associations. I’ve been to a lot of tailgating in my life, and WIU is the only one that barely has a Greek life present. Tie into homecoming an event with the most Greek letters at the HC game as points to Greek week. That will get a lot of students in the seats. (Competition during homecoming for Greek life. Normally 2 frats with 1 sorority). But, again anything is better than the status quo.

I would be interested to know what Augustana’s average attendance is for their D3 football home games. Anyone have a clue?

sealhall74

WIU2DC wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 pm The administration needs to do something about attendance. (Across all athletics) I do think the starting point should be student associations. I’ve been to a lot of tailgating in my life, and WIU is the only one that barely has a Greek life present. Tie into homecoming an event with the most Greek letters at the HC game as points to Greek week. That will get a lot of students in the seats. (Competition during homecoming for Greek life. Normally 2 frats with 1 sorority). But, again anything is better than the status quo.

I would be interested to know what Augustana’s average attendance is for their D3 football home games. Anyone have a clue?

Augie is averaging about 1K.

[url]https://augustana_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Football%20Stats/2018footballstats/teamcume.htm[/url]

Oops, the link is not working. Not sure why. You can copy paste.
WIU2DC

sealhall74 wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 pm The administration needs to do something about attendance. (Across all athletics) I do think the starting point should be student associations. I’ve been to a lot of tailgating in my life, and WIU is the only one that barely has a Greek life present. Tie into homecoming an event with the most Greek letters at the HC game as points to Greek week. That will get a lot of students in the seats. (Competition during homecoming for Greek life. Normally 2 frats with 1 sorority). But, again anything is better than the status quo.

Augie is averaging about 1K.

[url]https://augustana_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Football%20Stats/2018footballstats/teamcume.htm[/url]

Oops, the link is not working. Not sure why. You can copy paste.

Well hey, we are beating them! Image

GV Dad

I’ve had some interactions with Diane Cassimire. She has some good ideas and is very open to others. If you ever get a chance to meet her I highly recommend it. She’s a very impressive and energetic young lady. Hoping the new administration gives her the support she needs to implement ideas and try new things. Her email is dL-cassimire@wiu.edu