Starting QB 2019

WIU2DC

Hope the photo worked, but Twitter is saying Sampson is confirmed the starting QB next week! Go Necks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

Well, it looks like I was too late to secure a FCS Championship ticket on the presale which started yesterday. They are all sold out and I would bet my last bottom dollar that the Bison faithful have about 85% of them. I have been in this position before and usually can get a ticket on the resale market later in the year. How about Connor leading us to Frisco this year so I can get my ticket(s) the easier and cheaper way.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:33 am Well, it looks like I was too late to secure a FCS Championship ticket on the presale which started yesterday. They are all sold out and I would bet my last bottom dollar that the Bison faithful have about 85% of them. I have been in this position before and usually can get a ticket on the resale market later in the year. How about Connor leading us to Frisco this year so I can get my ticket(s) the easier and cheaper way.
Yeah, if NDSU somehow doesn't make it back to the championship game, you should be able to get tickets pretty easily from Bison fans...probably for around face value (if not cheaper).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Connor Sampson named starting quarterback for WIU.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... ck-for-wiu
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So...now that we're 4 games in, and 0-4 on the season...here's my thoughts on the QB situation.
I think it's pretty much a given that we're not making the playoffs this year with the injuries we have and the inexperience at some positions. Assuming that, I think that the goal for this season should now be to win a few games so we don't end up "embarrassed" with a possibly winless season (we haven't had a winless season since 1944, just fyi), and do what we can to get the young guys some experience going into next year.

Here's Sampson's stats in his 3 1/2 games so far: 71/124 passes (57.26%), 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 699 yards, 105.09 QB rating.
Now, technically he played almost exactly 3.5 games, so his average yards per game is essentially right about 200.

Here's Johnson's stats in his 1/2 game yesterday: 10/14 passes (71.43%), 3TDs, 2 INTs, 159 yards, 208.97 QB rating.
If you do the same on his yards as Sampson's...giving Johnson a 1/2 game...that works out to ~318 yards per game.

Obviously it's a much smaller body of work, but just from watching how the offense operates under Johnson vs how it has so far under Sampson, I think you have to go with Johnson as the starter, even if Sampson ends up being able to play in two weeks. As a reminder, he left yesterday's game a couple of plays before halftime with what appeared to be an ankle issue. Returned to the sideline a bit into the second half out of uniform, ankle wrapped up a little, using crutches, and not putting any weight on it.

Even if Sampson is 100% by Homecoming, I'd rather see Johnson start some games, and give us a shot at winning maybe 2-3 games (I'm thinking Missouri State, Southern Illinois, and South Dakota). Put Sampson as the backup in case Johnson were to get injured...but, in blowout games, play the young guys (as NCAA rules allow). I know that redshirt players can now play in up to 4 games in a season without "burning the redshirt", but if I remember correctly, someone mentioned that it applies differently to players who have transferred. We only have one true freshman listed (L.T. Beck, from Burlington). We also have Henry Ogala (sophomore transfer from DII Lincoln) and Grant Ferrauilo (sophomore JUCO transfer from El Camino College), but like I said, we may not be able to play them because the 4-game rule might only apply to true freshmen.

So, I see 3 games on our schedule that are "winnable" (MSU, USD, SIU) - Start Johnson, have Sampson as backup.
And I see 3 games on our schedule that are probably going to be blowouts (NDSU, UNI, YSU) - Start Johnson, but if things get out of hand, don't be afraid to put in whomever you can of the young guys to get them some in-game experience.
The other 2 games (the two ISU's) it just depends on how we play...we could be in those games, or we could get rolled over. Just take those as they come.

And obviously, I'm not saying that if we are somehow only down by like 3 late in the 4th against NDSU we go ahead and throw in a freshman...fight for every game...but based on how things have gone so far, that doesn't really seem like the most likely scenario.

Short Version: Start Johnson, put Sampson as backup, play redshirts when possible in blowouts.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Totally agree. I get the "wanting to get the 'kid' more experience" (in regards to Sampson), but I also know that with the struggles we've had financially and all, it seems we need to give ourselves the best chance of appealing to recruits. Adding a season with no wins certainly does not look appealing to potential incoming players.

I do feel badly for the seniors who are going to have this as their last season, but given that it's a bust, we have to look forward even more than usual.

My 2 cents worth.
meganeck

Not mention at all about Sampson's injury on the Coaches show. Danny didn't ask anything about Sampson.Once again pretty much nothing informative from the coaches show.
rocki

meganeck wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 pm Not mention at all about Sampson's injury on the Coaches show. Danny didn't ask anything about Sampson.Once again pretty much nothing informative from the coaches show.
Danny did mention that Sampson came out on crutches after halftime, but that's about it.

I was disappointed at how much Coach Elliot seemed to downplay KJ's efforts. Apparently he's so sold on Sampson he can't see the forest for the trees.
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:13 pm
Even if Sampson is 100% by Homecoming, I'd rather see Johnson start some games, and give us a shot at winning maybe 2-3 games (I'm thinking Missouri State, Southern Illinois, and South Dakota). Put Sampson as the backup in case Johnson were to get injured...but, in blowout games, play the young guys (as NCAA rules allow). I know that redshirt players can now play in up to 4 games in a season without "burning the redshirt", but if I remember correctly, someone mentioned that it applies differently to players who have transferred. We only have one true freshman listed (L.T. Beck, from Burlington). We also have Henry Ogala (sophomore transfer from DII Lincoln) and Grant Ferrauilo (sophomore JUCO transfer from El Camino College), but like I said, we may not be able to play them because the 4-game rule might only apply to true freshmen.
The rule is for any year of eligibility and can be used if you've never red-shirted. Both Ogala and Ferrauilo have confusing histories.

Ogala should have to sit out no matter what since he transferred up from DII, unless he met pretty strict requirements or graduated in 2 years. He appeared in 3 games in 2017 before the rule, so must have gotten hurt and received a medical red-shirt, which allowed him to play in 2018 as a Freshman. He shouldn't be able to play in any games because of the transfer rule and has to burn this year and is eligible next year as a R-JR.

Ferrauilo was at Fullerton College in 2017, but grey-shirted (enrolled second semester) and played in 2018 for El Camino. This makes him a true soph this year and only 1 1/2 years into his 5 year clock, because of the grey-shirt. Therefore, he should be eligible to play in 4 games and still red-shirt. He would then be a R-SO next year and his 5 year clock would run out the end of fall semester 2022.
letsgonecks

The line has not played well and the running game doesn't exist, so been pretty tough for Sampson. With that said, I think he's underwhelmed and even if he's healthy, we need to let Johnson roll and see what he can do. Unless there's a miracle and we somehow win 4 straight games, I think we need to get Ferrauilo a large number of snaps in the final 4 as well.