2019 Week 1 - Western Illinois at North Alabama (8/29/19)

GV Dad

Couple things. The depth chart is likely a smoke screen. Wouldn’t put to much stock in it.

My heart is saying this will be a blowout. UNA is just not that good, and they are not ready for D1. They will be in a few years, but they are just not there athletically or as deep as you need to be for this level. There is a HUGE jump between D1 and D2. And please, no one come at with the don’t be too confident argument, what I say on a message board has no bearing on the game 🙂. That being said, we still have some questions that need good answers. Being the first game, and in the road, we need to get on them early, or it could be a tough night. I still think, barring some really bad early mistakes, we are 3 or 4 scores better than them. I’m going to say 34-7, with UNA scoring a late TD to spoil the shutout.
letsgonecks

I have us by 21 in the pickem.

Hope I'm not too over confident in this defense, but think they'll be even better than last year.

Think and hope talent wise, Sampson is in the same league as Sean. Might not be able to match the grit, toughness and leadership and that's by no means a knock on Sampson, but we'll see. If he's close talent wise, this could be an even better offense with Wahee and Tate at 100% and the additions of Houston and Hall. Akinyemi might be a great possession receiver and who knows what we have in TE transfer Angel and RB transfer Thompson.

Wanted to go shutout and/or a higher margin, but think that's just opening week optimism.

WIU 28 - UNA 7

I'll be watching on my phone from Lambeau. Not a fan of preseason and would much rather be at home watching WIU, but a family outing. I'll be in my Pack gear, but probably only put the phone down when 99 from the Chiefs is on the field!!!!!!!
Necks2003

letsgonecks wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Think and hope talent wise, Sampson is in the same league as Sean. Might not be able to match the grit, toughness and leadership and that's by no means a knock on Sampson, but we'll see. If he's close talent wise, this could be an even better offense with Wahee and Tate at 100% and the additions of Houston and Hall
Honestly, I am hoping one of these QB's ends up being a big step up from last season. If they can learn from some early mistakes and situations, try and not stare down every receiver at critical parts of the game, and limit turnovers, hopefully there shouldn't be any let down from the QB position.
GV Dad

Necks2003 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Think and hope talent wise, Sampson is in the same league as Sean. Might not be able to match the grit, toughness and leadership and that's by no means a knock on Sampson, but we'll see. If he's close talent wise, this could be an even better offense with Wahee and Tate at 100% and the additions of Houston and Hall
Honestly, I am hoping one of these QB's ends up being a big step up from last season. If they can learn from some early mistakes and situations, try and not stare down every receiver at critical parts of the game, and limit turnovers, hopefully there shouldn't be any let down from the QB position.
Everyone is going to love Connor, promise :-)
sealhall74

GV Dad wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:53 pm
Necks2003 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Everyone is going to love Connor, promise :-)
I am greedy. I always want a cherry on top of the whipped cream (I.E. a QB who can reliably get you 4.5 yards per carry when you need it most). :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Streveler is with the Winnipeg Jets. Oh you mean this season and this team......? I hear there is a Stud there named McGuire as well.

Sampson has to be a Stud to have Sean lead all those years. He has to be patient too, when he could have started sooner elsewhere.

I am excited for the Connor era.
wiu712

Western expecting the unexpected for Thursday at North Alabama.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... r-thursday
GV Dad

RedNeck wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:47 am Streveler is with the Winnipeg Jets. Oh you mean this season and this team......? I hear there is a Stud there named McGuire as well.

Sampson has to be a Stud to have Sean lead all those years. He has to be patient too, when he could have started sooner elsewhere.

I am excited for the Connor era.
Me too! He’s a great kid, and has the confidence of the team for sure.
wiu712

Leathernecks look to neutralize North Alabama.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/44890/sports ... h-alabama/
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:51 pm Leathernecks look to neutralize North Alabama.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/44890/sports ... h-alabama/
With alliterations like "High Hopes" and "Talented Trifecta", this guy some serious "Journalism Juice" flowing through his veins. But I would have left the Wizard of Oz metaphors on the back burner for another place and time.
Embrace the pace of the race.