2019 Week 1 - Western Illinois at North Alabama (8/29/19)

wiu712

North Alabama won the game 26-17.

North Alabama had 412 total yards (290 passing).

Western had 302 total yards (183 passing and 119 rushing).

Connor Sampson had 18 completions out of 30 attempts.

Attendance at North Alabama = 10,567.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 pm Hopefully it turns out NA is just that good, not the other way around.
That's my hope. They had a ton of success at the DII level over the last 20 years. Honestly, a decent number of years in there they probably would have beaten us even when they were DII. They could be the next NDSU, stomping teams as soon as they hit DI.

Lots of areas we need to get a lot better at if we want to not be embarrassed this season. Hopefully just young guys and "growing pains". I think if we end up worse than 2-2 going into MVFC play, we're going to have serious problems.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

I thought our defense kept us in this game. Our offense couldn’t do anything it seemed like and for the tough spots/the amount of time our defense was on the field did a decent job. (Not sure how well UNA’s offense would rank in the MVFC though)

Even with how awful our offense looked/played, I still think we could/should have won this game and we obviously have growing pains. But, if Sampson doesn’t show huge improvement in the first half against Colorado State, I say he gets pulled. I don’t want a rebuilding year when we have depth at QB. If someone isn’t working, then put the next guy up out there. Don’t stay with something that isn’t working. Also, our one Pre-MVFC player on offense barely got the ball? Why? Can we also please stop running that dumb jet sweep? We run that every other series it seems. I really hope tonight was growing pains, and if so our season isn’t lost.

If tonight wasn’t a fluke, and we are this bad, our “Super Bowl” will be in three weeks against Tennessee Tech, as that will be the only team we will be favored against this season then.

Any word why Brunner wasn’t there? I’d love to have a game with him and Wahee on the field together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:20 pmCan we also please stop running that dumb jet sweep? We run that every other series it seems. I really hope tonight was growing pains, and if so our season isn’t lost.
I think having Acklin really spoiled us on that. Made the coaches think that it'll work all the time...Ratkovich is good, but he doesn't have Acklin's speed, so it doesn't work anywhere near as well.
Western_101

Watching this game just made me feel really sad. So much to comment on. Play calling? Elliot did not have this team ready they were in shambles. So from having high expectations this morning to feeling we will be lucky to win a game or two. This was a bitter pill to swallow.

Connor Sampson looked bad. I won't say anymore he is someones son. I have a son I wouldn't want people running him down.

With all the promising transfers that came in at this position am I to understand Connor was the best option? If that is true then we aren't doing a very good job of assessing talent and recruiting the right people.

UNA looks like they've been playing D-I since the beginning of time they deserve credit and good for them.

I wonder if that 80 hour bus ride to Florence had the team feeling less than rested or focused?
Necks2003

Out coached in all phases. Drastic changes need to be addressed at all skill positions.
sealhall74

Thee is a ton of football talent in Alabama and nearby GA and the Tide and Tigers both recruit on a national basis leaving a lot of the natives available for teams like Jacksonville State and UNA. I thought the Lions were pretty impressive on both sides of ball.

Seems like I say the same thing every year. We just have a difficult time finding any consistency in our north-south running game.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yeah, let's not pull the plug on the season yet. It was one game. Disappointing, but just one game. Also, idk if you're aware, but UNA was a very good team at the DII level. 3-straight DII championships in the '90s. From 2005 to 2016 (their last season eligible) they only missed the DII playoffs once. They were not a DII like Quincy...they were a DII like NDSU...they were a DII that beat an FBS team back in '97.

There's obviously a lot to work on over the coming weeks, but there's a lot of new faces. It may take them a little while to really "gel". I'm not ready to write them off just yet.
Leatherneck177

Max Norris? John Brunner? Where were they?
wiu712 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:17 pm North Alabama won the game 26-17.

North Alabama had 412 total yards (290 passing).

Western had 302 total yards (183 passing and 119 rushing).

Connor Sampson had 18 completions out of 30 attempts.

Attendance at North Alabama = 10,567.
xman

This was my first game as a new Leatherneck fan, and parent of a player. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said by others, hope they can make the needed adjustments and soon. Positive note for me, was being able to see the game on ESPN +.