2019 Week 3 - Western Illinois vs Montana State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Honestly the students are going to sit wherever they want I almost always sit on the east side but with how hot it was I sat on the west side Saturday.
I'm the same way. Usually next to the band, but last year against Montana and then this year vs Montana State, it was just too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

So close to the upset! I thought the team played much better. Connor was able to get the ball downfield a few times, which was nice to see. O Line did "ok" vs a very talented and experienced D LIne for MSU. Still missing a running game, but with no backs healthy I guess we can't expect much. Defense played great. We moved some folks around to get Kyle and Malik on the field at the same time, and it seemed to work pretty well. We were a tipped ball INT and a shanked punt hitting a flyer from knocking off the #10 team in the Country.

This team is going to be ok. Not playoffs, but respectable. And we return something like 39-44 from our 2 deep, so a very young team with lot's to learn. And the mistakes are showing. Should be 1-2 or 2-1 right now.
letsgonecks

GV Dad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:56 am So close to the upset! I thought the team played much better. Connor was able to get the ball downfield a few times, which was nice to see. O Line did "ok" vs a very talented and experienced D LIne for MSU. Still missing a running game, but with no backs healthy I guess we can't expect much. Defense played great. We moved some folks around to get Kyle and Malik on the field at the same time, and it seemed to work pretty well. We were a tipped ball INT and a shanked punt hitting a flyer from knocking off the #10 team in the Country.

This team is going to be ok. Not playoffs, but respectable. And we return something like 39-44 from our 2 deep, so a very young team with lot's to learn. And the mistakes are showing. Should be 1-2 or 2-1 right now.
Was it confirmed the ball was tipped on the pick? Didn't look like it changed much, but would explain how badly he missed the throw.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 pm Was it confirmed the ball was tipped on the pick? Didn't look like it changed much, but would explain how badly he missed the throw.
So, I went back and checked the "tape". They had a couple of angles and I looked at both pretty closely. You can't tell for certain that he (Montana State's #50) tipped it, but he definitely got his hand pretty close. Also, if you go frame by frame as he's throwing the ball, from both angles it looks like the trajectory of the ball slightly changes when it passes the MSU player's hand. I grabbed 2 of the frames and made a gif "animation" from them. The video was a bit fuzzy, but if you look at the angle that the ball is heading, it does look like in the second frame it's slightly up from where it was heading (the other frames before and after bear this out as well). So...best I can do is say I'm about 85% sure that he got at least a finger on it.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:43 pm
letsgonecks wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 pm Was it confirmed the ball was tipped on the pick? Didn't look like it changed much, but would explain how badly he missed the throw.
So, I went back and checked the "tape". They had a couple of angles and I looked at both pretty closely. You can't tell for certain that he (Montana State's #50) tipped it, but he definitely got his hand pretty close. Also, if you go frame by frame as he's throwing the ball, from both angles it looks like the trajectory of the ball slightly changes when it passes the MSU player's hand. I grabbed 2 of the frames and made a gif "animation" from them. The video was a bit fuzzy, but if you look at the angle that the ball is heading, it does look like in the second frame it's slightly up from where it was heading (the other frames before and after bear this out as well). So...best I can do is say I'm about 85% sure that he got at least a finger on it.

Game of inches and sucks as it does look like it was slightly tipped. Could have been a touchdown or very least not a pick. Makes me feel better about Sampson!!!
Last edited by letsgonecks on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.