Football Recruits - 2021

WIU2DC

We should have a very experienced and tough secondary this fall. Especially with the freshman coming back from the transfer portal. (I can’t remember his name right now)

I’m assuming recruiting for this fall is likely slowing down. I’m curious what y’all think about what or if we missed any holes? I know someone said the Auburn RB is gone, and I’m hopeful that the last time I checked our roster he was still on there so he got his grades together. But, I’m hopefully for this fall… but our schedule does us literally no favors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

The Big areas of need...

Defensive Tackle- A 3 Players that will likely be in the rotation day 1.
Defensive Back- B+ Several talented kids.
Offensive Line- C- Interior was addressed, but not OTs
Neckfansince71

The locker room was filled with some very large people on Sunday night. Besides that, I have also heard that this first week of conditioning was probably the best WIU Football has had in the last couple of years. In my opinion, the spring season really allowed our O lineman to grow as a unit besides gaining valuable experience with live snaps. I am looking forward to the 2021 fall season. ;) jc
GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:05 am

Grad transfer from Jacksonville State.

6’2, 200 safety

He picked us over:

Murray State
SIU
ALabama State
Kennessaw State
Alabama A&M
ACU
MISSOURI State
SUU
Youngstown
PVAMU

BTW, he was tweeting about an Official visit, not a commit. Hopefully a commit comes soon. Also a CB transfer from the same school that I how joins him!
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:05 am

Grad transfer from Jacksonville State.

6’2, 200 safety

He picked us over:

Murray State
SIU
ALabama State
Kennessaw State
Alabama A&M
ACU
MISSOURI State
SUU
Youngstown
PVAMU

BTW, he was tweeting about an Official visit, not a commit. Hopefully a commit comes soon. Also a CB transfer from the same school that I how joins him!

Good catch. How I took his tweet it meant he was coming to us.

WIU2DC

Neckfansince71 wrote:The locker room was filled with some very large people on Sunday night. Besides that, I have also heard that this first week of conditioning was probably the best WIU Football has had in the last couple of years. In my opinion, the spring season really allowed our O lineman to grow as a unit besides gaining valuable experience with live snaps. I am looking forward to the 2021 fall season. ;) jc
Good to hear. I want and know our program is better than we have been the last two years. Hopefully for good Leatherneck football this fall.

WIU2DC

Gaej Walker, RB grad transfer from Western Kentucky posted a photo of him in WIU gear on IG. Our RB Pau’auli posted it on his IG. Idk if that means he’s signing with us or just showing he was offered. His tapes at Western Kentucky looks good so it would be a nice add to the back field too.

WIU2DC

Random question but is there a date where coaches can’t accept new players for the upcoming season? Basically does the transfer portal become useless any time soon?

letsgonecks

WIU2DC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:52 pm Random question but is there a date where coaches can’t accept new players for the upcoming season? Basically does the transfer portal become useless any time soon?

As far as the portal goes, there is an entry deadline of July 1st (moving forward will be May 1st), to use the one time transfer for immediate play rule, but that would only apply for FBS to FBS or FCS to FCS and not being a grad transfer. Assuming you enter after that deadline, you'd only be able to transfer down for immediate play.

I believe coaches can accept new players up until the schools semester enrollment deadline. If they can become enrolled then they can join the team assuming they haven't played that year for another team. There is still a signing limit of 25 players, so that always comes into play.
Last edited by letsgonecks on Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
letsgonecks

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:47 am
WIU2DC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:52 pm Random question but is there a date where coaches can’t accept new players for the upcoming season? Basically does the transfer portal become useless any time soon?

As far as the portal goes, there is an entry deadline of July 1st (moving forward will be May 1st), to use the one time transfer for immediate play rule, but that would only apply for FBS to FBS or FCS to FCS and not being a grad transfer who . Assuming you enter after that deadline, you'd only be able to transfer down for immediate play.

I believe coaches can accept new players up until the schools semester enrollment deadline. If they can become enrolled then they can join the team assuming they haven't played that year for another team. There is still a signing limit of 25 players, so always comes into play.
This was pre-portal and one-time transfer exemption, but a unique situation. Back in 2016 Cameron Birse transferred in from Arkansas State and believe he went though summer workouts and was in Fall Camp, so was at least enrolled in summer classes. He left right before the start of the season and official fall semester. He ended up at Murray State and actually played in 2 games for them in 2016, with one being less than 2 weeks after practicing with us. Not sure if he wasn't officially on scholarship at WIU and/or MSU and that played into it, but weird and just goes to show there are too many variables at play to understand completely.

Another thought pops into my head about Lendell Buckner. He showed up on the roster in 2013 a few weeks into the season and ended up playing in the last 6 games. Not sure when he officially enrolled or joined the team, but pretty sure it was after the season/semester started. He wasn't a transfer as he had not been part of a team since red-shirting in 2009 with Illinois. Former 4 star recruit had run into some trouble and that lead to his couple year absence.

Lastly, Maurice Hood transferred in from a Juco in 2011. Even says in his WIU bio that he transferred in after classes started. Believe he originally committed to an FBS school, but not sure whether or not he ever showed up there and then scrambled to find a home.