2021 Season (Spring-ish)

leatherneckcountry

Well that's not good
sealhall74

No way can you practice in this kind of weather. Even without COVID, it would be very risky.
Embrace the pace of the race.
may know

Can’t imagine practices would be productive in this weather.
letsgonecks

Article says game was cancelled due to our covid protocols.

Anyone have further details?

Do we have an outbreak or is there concerns about traveling to South Dakota?

Other state schools are traveling out of state to play, so just wondering why.
wiu712

WIU Football postpones opener due to COVID.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/story/sp ... 710098002/
wiu712

Building the Encore: Connor Sampson primed to lead WIU Football into battle.
From KHQA-TV Sports:
https://khqa.com/sports/content/buildin ... nto-battle
WIU2DC

I didn’t know where else to post this and I also didn’t verify it so idk if it’s true. But, under the theory that it is true.... a few things strike me. 1. Our FBS transfers for our spring season will likely be here for our fall season and 2022 season. (If they have eligibility) 2. To my knowledge FCS is still held to the standard of 65 scholarships unless that has been changed because of this crazy year and half. So, my question is do PWO count towards an active roster that can suit ever week? For instance can we have 65 scholarship players but dress more than that and play more than that? (Also, obviously other teams too at the FCS level?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

Not only transfers are finding it tough. I would think that quite a few of this year's graduating seniors will be on the outside looking in. IMHO, if you are giving all existing scholarships players a free year of eligibility, you need to increase the scholarship limits by a few for all sports. Restore it after this Covid thing becomes a non-thing.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:22 pm Not only transfers are finding it tough. I would think that quite a few of this year's graduating seniors will be on the outside looking in. IMHO, if you are giving all existing scholarships players a free year of eligibility, you need to increase the scholarship limits by a few for all sports. Restore it after this Covid thing becomes a non-thing.
Agreed.

My thought is that they should allow an increase to it by roughly one year's worth of scholarships for this year, then drop that in half next year, then back to normal. It would give kids that want to play more opportunities and it would allow the coaching staffs some "adjustment time". For example, FCS can give the equivalent of 63 full scholarships (although FCS is allowed to split them and distribute as partial scholarships if the want to). If you assume 5 years worth of kids (4 eligible years + 1 redshirt year), then 1 year is 20%, which is a bit over 12 1/2 scholarships. Allow schools to go up by 12 this next season (75 total), then 6 the year after (69 total), then back to 63 the next year. FBS could be done the same way...normally 85, go up by 20% (102) in 2021, then 93/94 (it's actually 93.5) in 2022, and back to 85 in 2023.

The only real downside to this that I can see is that depending on how the accounting works for scholarships, it may be a bit of a financial strain for some schools. Like, yes they're covering an additional 12 scholarships (at the FCS level) for a year...based on Western's costs for a new freshman living on campus, basic meal plan, 15 semester hours...would be roughly $283k, but that's what a person would pay...that's not necessarily what the actual costs to the university of having 12 more students on campus and going to classes would be. What does it cost to have one more student in a few classrooms around campus? What does it cost to have 12 more students in dorm rooms (that would otherwise probably be sitting empty)?

Also, if the NCAA sets this down in advance, the schools could know that it's only a temporary thing to get past the current situation and not something they'd have to budget for every year.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Wow to bad we don't have a home game today would be perfect weather.