Spring 2021 - Week 2 - vs Missouri State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:26 pm Do we have a starting lineup yet? This has me totally messed up - I don't know who's eligible now and who won't be until fall.
They just posted the game notes (depth chart is page 10: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... State_.pdf) but here's the page as an image:

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

Depth chart is a few pages down. Austin Hopp doesn’t seem to have found a new home yet according to his Twitter. Also, I’m shocked by the depth chart for RB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:02 pmAustin Hopp doesn’t seem to have found a new home yet according to his Twitter. Also, I’m shocked by the depth chart for RB.
Hope you don't mind, but I moved your post over to this thread, since it seemed more relevant here.

For a little more analysis on the RB situation:
We have Sophomore Nick D'Ambra and Junior Jarren Jackson at the FB position, then Sophomores DeShon Gavin and Justin Hall at the HB spot.

Nick D'Ambra redshirted in 2018, played as a R-Freshman in 2019...but as a LB, where he played in 12 games and had 4 solo tackles. He's 6'0" and 225 lb, so physically he's a bit larger than your standard RB. As we saw with Nikko Watson though, a big body with strong legs can get you pretty far.

Jarren Jackson played in 7 games as a true freshman in 2018, then 2 games in 2019...but like D'Ambra, was on defense (DB). Because of the new redshirt rules, I believe 2019 can count as his redshirt year though, so he should still have 3 years of eligibility left. He's 5'9" and 185 lb.

Deshon Gavin redshirted in 2018, then played in 7 games in 2019. He had 162 yards and 2 TDs on 44 rushes. He's 6'0" and 200 lb.

Justin Hall redshirted in 2018 at Northern Illinois, then came here in 2019 where he racked up some pretty serious kick return numbers. He was on the MVFC All-Newcomer team after picking up 706 return yards to lead the MVFC. He is 5'9" and 185 lb.

I'm wondering if a lot of positions this spring we'll end up seeing a lot more "rotation" where guys will play for a game or two, then another group of guys will play for a game or two. Since this season doesn't actually count against eligibility, I think it would make sense to really try out some different things and see what combinations work best. Also, it might be too much to ask for players in some positions to take the field for as many as 17 games within about a 9 month period. The potential for injury (and not having enough time to fully recover) is higher. Asking each player in "high impact" positions to only put in 2-3 games in the spring would help minimize that. That's just my guess though.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

I was pretty surprised by the 2 deep, but historically hasn't been 100% accurate on who actually starts or rotates in the games. If these guys have earned and outperformed others for these spots, then I'm on board and ready for them to step up.

Ready for some WIU football.
wiu712

From Eastern Illinois University:

Under State of Illinois COVID-19 guidelines, O'Brien Field may have a capacity of 20 percent.

This season no walk-up game day tickets will be sold at the gate. The only tickets distributed this season will be to EIU students, Player Pass List, Corporate Sponsor Tickets, and Season Tickets. Tickets will be spaced in a socially distant manner in pods. A limited number of season tickets are still available by calling the EIU ticket office at 217-581-2106.
wiu712

Spring Football Pep Band:

WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:02 pmAustin Hopp doesn’t seem to have found a new home yet according to his Twitter. Also, I’m shocked by the depth chart for RB.
Hope you don't mind, but I moved your post over to this thread, since it seemed more relevant here.

We have Sophomore Nick D'Ambra and Junior Jarren Jackson at the FB position, then Sophomores DeShon Gavin and Justin Hall at the HB spot.

Nick D'Ambra redshirted in 2018, played as a R-Freshman in 2019...but as a LB, where he played in 12 games and had 4 solo tackles. He's 6'0" and 225 lb, so physically he's a bit larger than your standard RB. As we saw with Nikko Watson though, a big body with strong legs can get you pretty far.

Jarren Jackson played in 7 games as a true freshman in 2018, then 2 games in 2019...but like D'Ambra, was on defense (DB). Because of the new redshirt rules, I believe 2019 can count as his redshirt year though, so he should still have 3 years of eligibility left. He's 5'9" and 185 lb.

Deshon Gavin redshirted in 2018, then played in 7 games in 2019. He had 162 yards and 2 TDs on 44 rushes. He's 6'0" and 200 lb.

Justin Hall redshirted in 2018 at Northern Illinois, then came here in 2019 where he racked up some pretty serious kick return numbers. He was on the MVFC All-Newcomer team after picking up 706 return yards to lead the MVFC. He is 5'9" and 185 lb.

I'm wondering if a lot of positions this spring we'll end up seeing a lot more "rotation" where guys will play for a game or two, then another group of guys will play for a game or two. Since this season doesn't actually count against eligibility, I think it would make sense to really try out some different things and see what combinations work best. Also, it might be too much to ask for players in some positions to take the field for as many as 17 games within about a 9 month period. The potential for injury (and not having enough time to fully recover) is higher. Asking each player in "high impact" positions to only put in 2-3 games in the spring would help minimize that. That's just my guess though.
I’m just curious how much playing time our big names FBS transfers get this spring? Since I don’t see them in the 2 deep chart. Really the auburn RB and DL from Texas.

letsgonecks

WIU2DC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:37 am
ST_Lawson wrote:

I’m just curious how much playing time our big names FBS transfers get this spring? Since I don’t see them in the 2 deep chart. Really the auburn RB and DL from Texas.

Not sure if the FBS guys who were on 2020 rosters during the season can play. DL Daniels from TX, RB Walker from Nevada, DB Charles from Miss St. Unless there's a loophole of not appearing in games.

RB Whitlow from Auburn is clear as he transferred out last spring, same with DL's Hall and Hunt, and DB Jones.

LB Ernstmeyer entered the portal first part of the season and can't see if RB Patterson was ever actually part of the 2020 La Tech team, so not sure.
leatherneckcountry

Who is doing play by play for radio
sealhall74

Who are the fence watchers? I wanted to be one of them today. My bad for not showing up. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.