Spring 2021 - Week 2 - vs Missouri State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image VS Image
Saturday, February 27 at 12 PM
Hanson Field, Macomb, IL
Weather Forecast at Kickoff (as of 2/25) - 50° and partly cloudy, ~8 mph wind, 0% chance of precipitation

WIU Radio: Mixlr
MSU Radio: KWTO 101.3 FM - Live Web Stream
TV/Video Stream: ESPN+
Live Stats: https://goleathernecks.com/sidearmstats ... ll/summary

Game Notes: Western Illinois, Missouri State

And here we are...for us, the start of what is likely the strangest season in WIU football history.
Our week 1 game got shifted to the end of the season, so we open our season hosting Missouri State...another team who's first weekend game got shifted to the end of the season.
As most of you are probably aware, "general admission" fans will not be allowed at home football games this season, only family members of student-athletes and staff. So, most of us will have to listen on the radio or watch it on ESPN+. I know that there's a few members and visitors here who do fall into the latter category and will be allowed to attend games. For those of you who will be there...cheer loudly for the rest of us.

Because Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 are being considered as "one season" by the NCAA, Missouri State comes into this game at 0-3.
Their previous games (that were all played in September and October last fall) were:
48-0 loss at FBS #5 Oklahoma
27-20 loss at FCS #11 Central Arkansas
33-24 Homecoming loss also against FCS #11 Central Arkansas

Last full season (2019), the Bears (like us) finished with 1 win. Their only win was a 37-31 3OT victory against us at Hanson Field. In case you've forgotten, since it's been nearly 16 months, our lone victory last season was 38-34 against South Dakota. Going into this season, Missouri State and Western Illinois were picked tied for last in the conference preseason poll, so if this ends up being another season like 2019 (hopefully not, but who knows with all the stuff teams are dealing with), this will be one of our best chances at getting a win this season.

Like us, Missouri State doesn't have anyone on the Preseason Team, but they do have two players that received preseason honorable mentions: WR Damoriea Vick and DB Zack Sanders.

Current Predictions
Any prediction at this point in the season is probably on par with a coin flip. Still, there are a few places giving predictions:
Massey Ratings gives us about a 60% chance of winning, with a predicted score of 27-24 in our favor (which is essentially the difference of "home field advantage"...if there is such a thing this year).
Sagarin Rankings lists us at #191 out of all DI teams, with Missouri State at #181. Despite this, they have us pretty close to even with MSU...a 52% favorite by one system, dead even at 50% by another.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Also wanted to point out, I saw the following diagram on the Gameday Protocols page.

No surprises mostly, however I did notice that they have a space blocked off for the band. I haven't heard anything official yet, but this leads me to believe that we may have some "pep band" type arrangement for the home games this spring.
wiu712

Both Illinois State and Southern Illinois are going with 20% capacity and are actively selling tickets for their home games. Illinois State has set aside 300 student tickets.

Wonder why Western Athletics has chosen to be so restrictive ???
sealhall74

Not trying to be a jerk here, but what could they do to me if I show up Saturday, lawn chair in hand, and park my butt outside fence on the south side of Hanson? Pretty good vantage point IMO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:28 pm Not trying to be a jerk here, but what could they do to me if I show up Saturday, lawn chair in hand, and park my butt outside fence on the south side of Hanson? Pretty good vantage point IMO.
Well last time I went by there OPS had setup shop there so it would be nearly impossible
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:34 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:28 pm Not trying to be a jerk here, but what could they do to me if I show up Saturday, lawn chair in hand, and park my butt outside fence on the south side of Hanson? Pretty good vantage point IMO.
Well last time I went by there OPS had setup shop there so it would be nearly impossible
What do you mean setup shop? Pitched a tent? IMHO, you have to keep up withe Jones's and sell some tickets. SMH
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

My wife asked me if I was going to go find a place where I could see the field for the football game. I considered it, although for me, it's a much shorter drive than for most people. If they told me to leave at kickoff, I could be home by the end of the first drive. Might see if I can park up in the parking lot above and south of the field. Sit in the car, turn on the audio stream and watch the game that way. Haven't decided for sure yet though.
wiu712

The game should also be on WIUS Radio (88.3 FM).
rocki

Do we have a starting lineup yet? This has me totally messed up - I don't know who's eligible now and who won't be until fall.
leatherneckcountry