Spring 2021 - Week 4 - vs North Dakota

rocki

WIU2DC wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 pm
rocki wrote:I'm just going to start looking at this as a practice season - it's less painful that way.
Yeah, our Oline has played well today and our specialty players can ball... we need to bench Sampson. Is Olga that bad? Also, our DL doesn’t seem to have a runner stopper like we’ve had the past two seasons, however they’re always on the field so that doesn’t help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What little I saw him this year, he didn't appear to be bad - in fact, considering it was the first game (and we know how the O line played that game) I thought he did better than Sampson. Didn't appear to feel the need to rush the pass. Seems that Coach Elliot is determined to live or die on the altar of Sampson, and I think that is wrong.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:18 pm
WIU2DC wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 pm
rocki wrote:I'm just going to start looking at this as a practice season - it's less painful that way.
Yeah, our Oline has played well today and our specialty players can ball... we need to bench Sampson. Is Olga that bad? Also, our DL doesn’t seem to have a runner stopper like we’ve had the past two seasons, however they’re always on the field so that doesn’t help either.
Hard to stay competitive when TOP looks like this:
True, but the TOP is STILL our own fault.
WIU2DC

Anyone know why Whitlow hasn’t played at all? He’s still on the roster. Also, we haven’t heard from GV Dad in a while. Did his kid move onto a different program?

WIU2DC

rocki wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:18 pm
WIU2DC wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 pm Yeah, our Oline has played well today and our specialty players can ball... we need to bench Sampson. Is Olga that bad? Also, our DL doesn’t seem to have a runner stopper like we’ve had the past two seasons, however they’re always on the field so that doesn’t help either.
Hard to stay competitive when TOP looks like this:
True, but the TOP is STILL our own fault.
Yep, honestly I think we have most of the pieces to be competitive. I’m not saying winning the MVFC, but we need to bench Sampson and see if Olga can win us some games. Christ, we need a mobile QB in today’s football. Let’s be honest, it can’t get much worse if Olga is bad.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:20 pmTrue, but the TOP is STILL our own fault.
Oh, absolutely it's our fault. I was just wanting to make the point that I don't think the defense is quite as bad as the score seems to indicate because they have to be on the field so much.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

And then Sampson will have drives like that where he looks like a starting D1 QB. Man, this team is frustrating lol

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:22 pmAlso, we haven’t heard from GV Dad in a while. Did his kid move onto a different program?
His son is still on the roster and retweeted the WIU Football tweet about today's game earlier today. He has not, however, seen the field this season (if the participation record is correct).
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I feel like Iosefa Pua’auli could really be putting up some huge numbers if we had a decent O-line at opening up gaps for the run game.
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:I feel like Iosefa Pua’auli could really be putting up some huge numbers if we had a decent O-line at opening up gaps for the run game.
Image and he’s a true freshman. I hope he stays with us for his career. I think he could do big things for us.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:45 pm
ST_Lawson wrote:I feel like Iosefa Pua’auli could really be putting up some huge numbers if we had a decent O-line at opening up gaps for the run game.
Image and he’s a true freshman. I hope he stays with us for his career. I think he could do big things for us.

Plus this spring season doesn't even count (for eligibility). He's still a "freshman" in the fall and should have 4 full seasons ahead of him after we finish spring.