Spring 2021 - Week 5 - at Illinois State

sealhall74

Onside kick coach now. Lets see how big your balls are.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:29 pm
WIU2DC wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:11 pm We need a new coaching staff. We are now the new Misery State in the MVFC. I feel bad for the kids, their coach has no clue what he’s doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's the problem...if we let the coaching staff go after this spring season, then we're looking at hiring a HC in the late spring/early summer, which is not really the ideal time to be looking for a coach in terms of the talent pool out there looking for jobs. Then, you have the whole season schedule being thrown off in terms of recruiting, summer practices and stuff.

The question is, is it better to:
1. stick with the current staff until the end of the fall season, then get someone hired during the usual timeframe when coaches are moving around to different jobs
or
2. go ahead and try to hire someone new after this spring season, hope you can find a good candidate (and that they can hire a decent staff), and treat this fall as a "lost season"

I don't know what the right answer is. I also feel badly for the players. I'm sure a lot of them are working hard, trying their hardest to make something happen, but right now we're just being outmatched/outcoached.
I get what you're saying, but to me the key is the players. Are they willing to keep grinding for this type of result? If so, maybe wait until after fall. If not, maybe we need to think about keeping the kids that can play and losing the coaches that are not cutting the mustard (as my father would have said).
sealhall74

Saw a post on the Yote board today. Said best player on the team is the punter. Might be true for us as well.
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:11 pm We need a new coaching staff. We are now the new Misery State in the MVFC. I feel bad for the kids, their coach has no clue what he’s doing.

Here's the problem...if we let the coaching staff go after this spring season, then we're looking at hiring a HC in the late spring/early summer, which is not really the ideal time to be looking for a coach in terms of the talent pool out there looking for jobs. Then, you have the whole season schedule being thrown off in terms of recruiting, summer practices and stuff.

The question is, is it better to:
1. stick with the current staff until the end of the fall season, then get someone hired during the usual timeframe when coaches are moving around to different jobs
or
2. go ahead and try to hire someone new after this spring season, hope you can find a good candidate (and that they can hire a decent staff), and treat this fall as a "lost season"

I don't know what the right answer is. I also feel badly for the players. I'm sure a lot of them are working hard, trying their hardest to make something happen, but right now we're just being outmatched/outcoached.
Oh I agree. We should keep him for the fall season and then move on from him after it. However, I’m just annoyed with how he took over a team that went into the FCS playoffs and we haven’t been over .500 since Charlie Fischer.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:38 pm Saw a post on the Yote board today. Said best player on the team is the punter. Might be true for us as well.
We sure are asking him to do a lot of work.
9 punts, 43 yards per punt average
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

If team football is played well, defense always feeds off offense an vice versa. That ain't happening for us.
leatherneckcountry

In fairness to him I think he had 3 years coach at the FCS and only one of those as a coordinator he was a lazy hire by Tanney.
rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:48 pm In fairness to him I think he had 3 years coach at the FCS and only one of those as a coordinator he was a lazy hire by Tanney.
No doubt he's a nice guy, but he's obviously in over his head.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Looks like our last best chance at a win this season will be the last game against South Dakota. They pulled off a win against Illinois State to start the season, but lost to North Dakota and Missouri State, and are currently doing the same thing against YSU that we are against ISU, down 28-10 in the 4th quarter...which would be YSU's first win of the season as well.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Sampson not the problem IMO. Scheme and talent around him are.