WIU Football Coverage/Info

letsgonecks

This topic has been brought up before, but the lack of shared information about the team is frustrating. I know it comes with being an FCS team and in a very small market, but for a diehard fan who craves info, it's tough.

I know the Coach's show is part of the athletic department, so all fluff, but would like some questions about players and play calling/formations.

Obviously lots of questions about not seeing Whitlow. Is he hurt, not in shape, did he simply get beat out by 2 freshman and a soph? Is it that we know our line isn't build to run, so we put in the 240lb RB who is good at picking up the blitz? My problem with Pua'Auli is he has 3 catches for -5 yds and at least 3 wide open drops and lacks the ability to create on his own with the ball. I'm all about airing it out with this team, so ok with him as our back picking up blocks.

Did OL Hopp leave because he wanted to move up, fresh start, or did he lose his spot?

Did OL Woodard lose his spot and leave? Figured his spot was up for grabs.

Is OL Brandon Malkow hurt or simply get beat out of the 2 deep. 12 game starter in 2019.

Why didn't we see DL CJ Hunt last week, was he injured? The DL hasn't made much noise in the backfield, but he was the most noticeable the first 2 weeks.

Why did DL Malik Burns leave the program after starting the first 2 games?

Why aren't we giving Ogala more of a run in games that are out of reach? I understand as a coach wanting to get the starter as many reps, to get better for the next week, but lets at least see what the backup has. Sampson's getting up plenty of passes through 3 quarters, so come on. I would like to see if Ogala can make plays and finish drives. With the better line play the last 2 weeks and these WR's, we should be putting up more points.

Why are we running up to line super quick on offense? Is that supposed to throw off the defense, because it's not working. Seems to cause a decent amount of false starts and thrown off some timing on jet motions and hand offs. Even though we've put up tons of yards and moved the ball at times, we do not look smooth on very many plays.

What's with the 10 yard CB cushions, specifically the boundary corner (short side). Seems like most weeks we're seeing others corners playing up on us. I've been saying for years to press and blitz, cause the softer "not giving up the big play" hasn't worked very well the last few years. Maybe we give up more points, but maybe not as they're still scoring anyways. We've lost to 3 straight Freshman QB's and did very little to make the game harder for them.

By the way, not a fan of our defensive scheme, but guess the current personnel might not do much more in a traditional 4-3. Sam Cook is very athletic and the future is bright, but seeing a 6-4 205lb kid, basically lining up as our DE and go against their LT is not ideal. Hopefully he goes off when in this week and makes me eat my words, but just saying.

Hate to start a bitch-fest, but still invested in the 0-3 team and hoping for some improvements. Just wish we (I) could get some questions answered.
Last edited by letsgonecks on Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsgonecks

meganeck

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:18 pm This topic has been brought up before, but the lack of shared information about the team is frustrating. I know it comes with being an FCS team and in a very small market, but for a diehard fan who craves info, it's tough.

I know the Coach's show is part of the athletic department, so all fluff, but would like some questions about players and play calling/formations.

Obviously lots of questions about not seeing Whitlow. Is he hurt, not in shape, did he simply get beat out by 2 freshman and a soph? Is it that we know our line isn't build to run, so we put in the 240lb RB who is good at picking up the blitz? My problem with Pua'Auli is he has 3 catches for -5 yds and at least 3 wide open drops and lacks the ability to create on his own with the ball. I'm all about airing it out with this team, so ok with him as our back picking up blocks.

Did OL Hopp leave because he wanted to move up, fresh start, or did he lose his spot?

Is OL Brandon Malkow hurt or simply get beat out of the 2 deep. 12 game starter in 2019.

Why didn't we see DL CJ Hunt last week, was he injured? The DL hasn't made much noise in the backfield, but he was the most noticeable the first 2 weeks.

Why aren't we giving Ogala more of a run in games that are out of reach? I understand as a coach wanting to get the starter as many reps, to get better for the next week, but lets at least see what the backup has. Sampson's getting up plenty of passes through 3 quarters, so come on. I would like to see if Ogala can make plays and finish drives. With the better line play the last 2 weeks and these WR's, we should be putting up more points.

Why are we running up to line super quick on offense? Is that supposed to throw off the defense, because it's not working. Seems to cause a decent amount of false starts and thrown off some timing on jet motions and hand offs. Even though we've put up tons of yards and moved the ball at times, we do not look smooth on very many plays.

What's with the 10 yard CB cushions, specifically the boundary corner (short side). Seems like most weeks we're seeing others corners playing up on us. I've been saying for years to press and blitz, cause the softer "not giving up the big play" hasn't worked very well the last few years. Maybe we give up more points, but maybe not as they're still scoring anyways. We've lost to 3 straight Freshman QB's and did very little to make the game harder for them.

By the way, not a fan of our defensive scheme, but guess the current personnel might not do much more in a traditional 4-3. Sam Cook is very athletic and the future is bright, but seeing a 6-4 205lb kid, basically lining up as our DE and go against their LT is not ideal. Hopefully he goes off when in this week and makes me eat my words, but just saying.

Hate to start a bitch-fest, but still invested in the 0-3 team and hoping for some improvements. Just wish we (I) could get some questions answered.
I haven't watched any this year but the coaches show apparently he doesn't really say anything in those. Must be just coach speak during it. Yes I am disappointed in the season and am really doubting if Elliot is the answer as the coach, but I am looking at this spring season as not a real season, I'll wait till the fall to get more invested in the football team.
leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 am
letsgonecks wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:18 pm This topic has been brought up before, but the lack of shared information about the team is frustrating. I know it comes with being an FCS team and in a very small market, but for a diehard fan who craves info, it's tough.

I haven't watched any this year but the coaches show apparently he doesn't really say anything in those. Must be just coach speak during it. Yes I am disappointed in the season and am really doubting if Elliot is the answer as the coach, but I am looking at this spring season as not a real season, I'll wait till the fall to get more invested in the football team.
I’ve met coach Elliot several times and he seems like a great guy but I don’t think he’s the answer that being said with how fast the turnaround is to next year I don’t think will see a change.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:34 amI’ve met coach Elliot several times and he seems like a great guy but I don’t think he’s the answer that being said with how fast the turnaround is to next year I don’t think will see a change.
I feel the same way. Everything I've heard is that he's a good guy, but there's a ton of good guys who are not great football coaches (at least at the HC level). Coach Elliott is probably a great OC, but it doesn't seem like he was quite ready for taking over the HC position at a DI school and trying to compete with the Dakota schools, UNI, Illinois State, etc. If we don't see things improve much in the fall (like you said, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for that), I think it's time to move on and try someone else.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000