Fire Coach Elliott

huskie

xman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 am Watched the 7:00PM game Saturday night and lighting was fine for the telecast on ESPN+, the commentating by our students or whoever is absolutely horrible. The same can be said for the students running the cameras, not very sharp. Anyways, its a resources and funding issue like with everything else. ;)
It's not the lack of funding, it's the lack of instruction. There is no reason students can't in their first year learn to pan, tilt, zoom in and out, follow the action with out making the audience puke. They need to get instructors that actually know how to teach instead of the ones they have.
leatherneckcountry

huskie wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:49 am
xman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 am Watched the 7:00PM game Saturday night and lighting was fine for the telecast on ESPN+, the commentating by our students or whoever is absolutely horrible. The same can be said for the students running the cameras, not very sharp. Anyways, its a resources and funding issue like with everything else. ;)
It's not the lack of funding, it's the lack of instruction. There is no reason students can't in their first year learn to pan, tilt, zoom in and out, follow the action with out making the audience puke. They need to get instructors that actually know how to teach instead of the ones they have.
I was a sports broadcasting major and when i took sports production which is the class that you had be in to do all that stuff. One of the 1st things we learned was the pan tilt zoom. I can always understand a few mistakes early in the 1st game but it shouldn't take long to figure it out.
GV Dad

I can live with the camera angles, not perfect but not horrible. But the announcers are just brutal!! At least know the rules of the game. Maybe they should have a student doing play by play but bring in someone else to do color. A former player maybe?
sealhall74

The broadcast crew needs practice just like the guys on the field. No exhibition games in football to iron out the kinks with like in basketball. How about a scrimmage prior to the first fall game with all the bells and whistles of a real game. Invite fans, have concessions, the whole nine yards. I would show up for it. Intrasquad scrimmages can be very competitive from my limited playing experience which was back in Junior High. I was only a 2nd string QB but holy cow did me and the other 2 deeps want to win that Saturday morning scrimmage against the first-teamers. IIIRC, we had a 7-0 half time lead. Thne the HC chewed out the 1st stringers and I think they ended up winning. Oh, those were the good ole days. ;)

Oh, I forgot to mention after said scrimmage, the AD needs to publish and AAR and deal with the observed shortcomings.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Every board needs a fire (this guy) thread. Nobody want's to start it. I did and I felt bad, of course. Somebody has to do it.

Elliot is not up to the task, I don't really think anyone is debating that. I would say that I am surprised that the ESPN associated platforms have no standards. It is irresponsible to just have students on an ESPN feed. There needs to be a try out, yes like getting a role in a play. That student then gets partnered with a Veteran broadcaster. The stuff that we have had to endure does no one a service. It makes a mockery of our institution, and there isn't any professional level footage that can be gleaned to advance any of these hapless wannabes. The ridicule i hear on other boards is warranted.

Oh yeah, I got off track, so we got a shitty coach and a shitty team, and shitty facilities and we are the laughing stock of the conference.

Money, yes, Also goodbye to our current Athletic Director(DS) and our current Football coach(JE). We can find other people to lose less for the same money, or not

Listen, I assure you there is some hungry Mother ahhh lover out there that is jonesing for a chance. DS and JE.....thank you for your professionalism.
Western_101

I said we have a shitty team, I could have edited that out under Lawson Laws.

I should not have said that, yet I did. Western Illinois forever was the bridesmaid to UNI(football) and Valpo(basketball). Always a bridesmaid never...

You know what we wern't? We were (emphases on past tense) not an embarrassment to ourselves or to the league we are charter members in both leagues/conference!

I feel Elliot was put in a bad position by Charlie, Charlie reaped bennefits that Nielson left him. The administration was reeling from getting short timed (read not fullfilling their contract) by two consecutive coaches, all while The Govenor at the time was not funding Western. So there is that.
HoosierNeck13

Let's see what happens this year. I'm sure he knows on the hot seat. If we have another bad year, he goes.

Maybe I was spoiled but I grew up with successful teams. First game was '94 or '95, and followed them for years. I remember the powerhouse teams of the late '90's, early 2000's.

We need to be successful in our $ sports. Not worried about either basketball team.
GV Dad

Can we let this thread die until at least October?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

HoosierNeck13 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:03 am Let's see what happens this year. I'm sure he knows on the hot seat. If we have another bad year, he goes.

Maybe I was spoiled but I grew up with successful teams. First game was '94 or '95, and followed them for years. I remember the powerhouse teams of the late '90's, early 2000's.

We need to be successful in our $ sports. Not worried about either basketball team.
That's pretty much my thought as well...Coach Elliott knows what's up and that he has to have a much better season if he wants to hope to stick around.
I also came up in the same timeframe. Marching band from '96-'00...one of the best 5-year spans in our program's history (only the early '50s under Vince DiFrancesca was better).

I agree, this thread can pretty much be put on hiatus until we have a better idea of what this team is likely to do this year.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:Can we let this thread die until at least October?
What he said…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk