Fire Coach Elliott

leatherneckcountry

LeatherCy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:00 pm No, You can't blame Coach Nielson for leaving for a program that commitment from the President on down plus new and improved facilities. Chalk this up to another result of Jackie Thomas's horrible impact he left on WIU. Coach Nielson tried for two years to gain a meeting with Jackie to discuss his commitment to the program. Jackie never had time to meet.
Well Nielson will probably be available pretty soon.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:19 pm
LeatherCy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:00 pm No, You can't blame Coach Nielson for leaving for a program that commitment from the President on down plus new and improved facilities. Chalk this up to another result of Jackie Thomas's horrible impact he left on WIU. Coach Nielson tried for two years to gain a meeting with Jackie to discuss his commitment to the program. Jackie never had time to meet.
Well Nielson will probably be available pretty soon.
NO....just....no.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
SouthsideNeck

Heard the game today was rescheduled because lights didn’t work and they weren’t willing to repair. If that’s the case then I think it’s clear one of the reason for the lack of success is in the lack of the universities willingness to back the program. If lights can’t be repaired then what else are they skimping on? Elliott is young and think he has a learning curve, but no one with a good resume is coming without support from the university. What’s our succession plan if we fire Elliott?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

SouthsideNeck wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:11 pm Heard the game today was rescheduled because lights didn’t work and they weren’t willing to repair. If that’s the case then I think it’s clear one of the reason for the lack of success is in the lack of the universities willingness to back the program. If lights can’t be repaired then what else are they skimping on? Elliott is young and think he has a learning curve, but no one with a good resume is coming without support from the university. What’s our succession plan if we fire Elliott?
Just to be clear, it's not just the football program that they're having to cut back on. The university in general doesn't really have much money to spend anywhere right now.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

SouthsideNeck wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:11 pm Heard the game today was rescheduled because lights didn’t work and they weren’t willing to repair. If that’s the case then I think it’s clear one of the reason for the lack of success is in the lack of the universities willingness to back the program. If lights can’t be repaired then what else are they skimping on? Elliott is young and think he has a learning curve, but no one with a good resume is coming without support from the university. What’s our succession plan if we fire Elliott?
Every time I drive by they seem to be working fine.
sealhall74

Even when they ARE working, don't we still have an issue with them not really being good enough for broadcast quality. Or maybe I am mistaken. But did not Musco Lighting have to come and setup addtional lighting for us sometime in the past?
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

SouthsideNeck wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:11 pmHeard the game today was re-scheduled because lights didn’t work, and they weren’t willing to repair.
If that's true, they have one week to get them repaired. Next week's game has a 7:00 PM start time.
LeatherCy

I was told my member of the Athletic Dept Friday that when our electrical crew looked at the box it appeared lightening had hit. If I remember correctly our crew fixed it after MUSCO had been called. We let UNI know right away just to be safe before we found the cause of the problem.
xman

Watched the 7:00PM game Saturday night and lighting was fine for the telecast on ESPN+, the commentating by our students or whoever is absolutely horrible. The same can be said for the students running the cameras, not very sharp. Anyways, its a resources and funding issue like with everything else. ;)
sealhall74

xman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 am Watched the 7:00PM game Saturday night and lighting was fine for the telecast on ESPN+, the commentating by our students or whoever is absolutely horrible. The same can be said for the students running the cameras, not very sharp. Anyways, its a resources and funding issue like with everything else. ;)
Then you add in our radio guys having to announce what they are seeing (or trying to see) from inside Horrabin Hall or wherever they are, the situation can still be entertaining and even comical at times. Sometimes you are happy to just be entertained (e.g. give me some Bill Walton color commentary on an east coast game from his home in San Diego every day of the week).

Regarding lighting, I thought the cameras were a little dim early in the game at dusk but they heated up (or the lights did) as the night grew dark. But I agree, our broadcasts are a total embarrassment for a D1 program. If people did not have a radio feed option to sync with, no one would tune in, period. Once every blue moon, you find some students up to the challenge at hand (e.g. Beau and Danny Frey). Scott Kornberg was also very good, not sure if he was a full-time student. Something needs to be done to fix this problem. The fix may be the same as for making the rest of the things (scoreboard operator, PA announcer, chain gang crew, ...) work. Rely on local town folk who will hopefully be around long enough to get good at the job.
Embrace the pace of the race.