Fire Coach Elliott

WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:
meganeck wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pm
vatusay wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:36 pm I think there would be many well qualified coaches putting their hat in the ring. I can’t remember if there was even a search last time. IIRC wasn’t there a scuttlebutt over that process not following proper procedure with Elliot?
Also do we know how players aren't playing in the Spring. I think it has been the mentioned the RB transfer from Auburn hasn't played are their others we know of.
9 of the 22 players that would have started last Fall are out for the Spring season either from injury or Opting out.
Are you saying all 9 players have moved on from WIU football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

No, the 3 Opt outs have.
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:No, the 3 Opt outs have.
So, we should have 6 additional starters this fall?

GV Dad

So, we should have 6 additional starters this fall?

[/quote]

Unless the kids getting the experience now earn the job in the Fall. Either way, should create improved depth.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:56 pm Unless the kids getting the experience now earn the job in the Fall. Either way, should create improved depth.
That's good to hear, thanks for the updates. Hopefully things are able to get back to something close to normal in the fall and we can find ourselves at least a couple more wins. I feel bad for the players, putting in all the work, doing their best, being flexible in making the best of the current situation...but not really getting much of a reward out if it (in the way of winning games).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

GV Dad wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:23 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:10 pm
GV Dad wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:44 pm

9 of the 22 players that would have started last Fall are out for the Spring season either from injury or Opting out.
So the 64K question then is how does these numbers compare to the numbers for other teams in the conference. That, and if you a kid does opt out for the spring season, what does that mean. Does he spend more time in the weight room or less?
I have no way of knowing that. I did hear that ISU had similar issues. All our Opt outs were Seniors that left the team and moved on with life. Jobs, med school, etc.
thanks for that update GV Dad, that is interesting, that is why I'm not considering this a "real season". Hopefully things get settled down (Virus wise) which looks like it might. They can have a somewhat normal offseason and a normal regular season and evaluate things after the Fall season. I am probably in the boat of a coaching change is needed, but definitely think it needs to wait until after the Fall season.
LeatherCy

Never impressed with Charlie and you;re right his recruiting sucked. Starting a Fire Coach Elliott thread
does no on any good.
LeatherCy

No, You can't blame Coach Nielson for leaving for a program that commitment from the President on down plus new and improved facilities. Chalk this up to another result of Jackie Thomas's horrible impact he left on WIU. Coach Nielson tried for two years to gain a meeting with Jackie to discuss his commitment to the program. Jackie never had time to meet.
LeatherCy

Found out yesterday while on campus the RB transfer from Auburn is academically ineligible. I asked if he was currently enrolled in classes. I was told he was but the emphasis as on "enrolled." inferring that he wasn't always going to class!! How damn many chances do you need!!!
LeatherCy

Found out yesterday while on campus the RB transfer from Auburn is academically ineligible. I asked if he was currently enrolled in classes. I was told he was but the emphasis as on "enrolled." inferring that he wasn't always going to class!! How damn many chances do you need!!!