Let's talk Football

letsgonecks

GV Dad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 am
letsgonecks wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:43 am Been bothering me that I left off Taylor, so guess I'm going top 11 and adding Brett.
LOL, ya Brett was a stud! If you and your son get to a game this year would love to have you both stop by our tailgate! Message me when you decide which game.
Will do. Hoping to make 2 games. One with kids and one on a party bus for my 40th. Did a bus 10 years ago with 20 friends/alumni and it was a blast, minus our team being pretty bad in 2011. Hudson threw a pick 6 inside the MSU 10, with about 2 minutes left and down 7.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:10 am...once paid like $70 for the only option pay-per-view against Missouri in 2011. Basically paid a dollar for every point they beat us by (69 to 0).
I was at that game. That was a rough one...pretty embarrassing.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:10 am
GV Dad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 am
letsgonecks wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:43 am Been bothering me that I left off Taylor, so guess I'm going top 11 and adding Brett.
LOL, ya Brett was a stud! If you and your son get to a game this year would love to have you both stop by our tailgate! Message me when you decide which game.
Will do. Hoping to make 2 games. One with kids and one on a party bus for my 40th. Did a bus 10 years ago with 20 friends/alumni and it was a blast, minus our team being pretty bad in 2011. Hudson threw a pick 6 inside the MSU 10, with about 2 minutes left and down 7.
I like the party bus idea. With the lack of hotel rooms in Macomb, it's really hard to plan any large groups to a game. I have a lot of friends and family in KC that want to come to a game. So we're going to charter a bus to the next game in Springfield.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:51 pm Link to Spring FCS stats

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs ... eam/698/p2
I like using the NCAA extended stats page. Gives you lots of details, but also a nice breakdown of where a team (and their top players) ranks in each stat category.
Here's a pdf version of Western's stats from last spring: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_ ... mary_id=-1

You can get to that information by going to ranking summary: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary then pick football, the year, and FCS...then under Select Team, pick Western (or whomever you want to take a look at).
Western_101

I'm just looking forward to a "normal" season.

Fav. player? that's tough. Receiver Jaelon Acklin transformed into an all league all-star his Senior year, absolutely astounding!

Letsgonecks named some good ones.

I have love for the Russ Michna, Reggie Gray, Travis Glasford, Jason Williams. Seems like we had a run of years with really solid Linebackers and Running backs. My memory betrays me, I will look at the "book" and perhaps chime in later.

I thought Russ was the best WIU QB until Mcguire, both could have easily started for any number of FBS squads. Aaron Stecker has to be the best RB talent, however my memories of him are sparse and sporadic those were my on campus frat days.

I don't dissect the game the way the experts do. So my appoligies to the un-sung heros of the O-line. Typically people remember the "playmakers". I think we have all seen what happens when we don't have an adequate line.
sealhall74

I will go with HOFer O-Lineman Don Greco as fav player. Short career in NFL with the Lions (I assume because of injury issues?), started the vast majority of games he played in so he had to be top-caliber from the get-go, went on to coach at the HS ranks in the St. Louis area and when he got tired of that, authored a book or two. IIRC, I had 2 classes with him (one in education dept and the other in the Phys Ed. area). Some people you share a class with you never forget. My other one was Mary Matalin. Add Brad Dunn to the list too. ;)

https://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journ ... ad965.html

As for games, I should be able to attend all of the home games. Montana trip would be a nice one but probably wont happen. I did Montana State game a few years ago and combined with a Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Park City, Utah trek. Nice little getaway.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

Let's keep talking. Who's your top all-time WIU QB?

My firsthand knowledge starts in 2000, so only know of players stats prior.

I'm going the following:

1. Michna, 2. McGuire, 3. Barr

Barr and the 2010 offense was the most exciting, but McGuire beats him with the 3+ years of solid play. Russ was probably the best passer, so he takes the cake.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:49 pm 1. Michna, 2. McGuire, 3. Barr

Barr and the 2010 offense was the most exciting, but McGuire beats him with the 3+ years of solid play. Russ was probably the best passer, so he takes the cake.
I think I pretty much agree with you. It's really close between 2 and 3 for me though.

I was only in on the tail end of the Jeff Hecklinski era. He was quite good, but the strength of the team at that point was the defense and our run game (Brian Knuckles then Aaron Stecker). Nobody was putting up anything close to 1000+ receiving yards in a season in that time frame.
Someone else to keep in mind (but was before my time) was Paul Singer. Before McGuire came along, Singer held most of the career records for QB, having played all 4 years, and had a couple of phenomenal seasons in '87 and '88.
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:05 pm
letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:49 pm 1. Michna, 2. McGuire, 3. Barr

I think I pretty much agree with you. It's really close between 2 and 3 for me though.

I was only in on the tail end of the Jeff Hecklinski era. He was quite good, but the strength of the team at that point was the defense and our run game (Brian Knuckles then Aaron Stecker). Nobody was putting up anything close to 1000+ receiving yards in a season in that time frame.
Someone else to keep in mind (but was before my time) was Paul Singer. Before McGuire came along, Singer held most of the career records for QB, having played all 4 years, and had a couple of phenomenal seasons in '87 and '88.
Yeah, Singer would have to be one of the all-time great WIU QB's. 4 year starter, lots of stats, Conference POY, some All-American honors, and only WIU QB ever drafter in the NFL, that I'm aware (8th round). We've had some really good QB's over the years, but I think the only starter to ever play in a regular season NFL game is Frisman and that was obviously as a WR. Hoping McGuire wins the starting job for Winnipeg, puts up huge numbers and gets his shot at the NFL.