Headphones for QB?

sealhall74

Technology keeps getting better and football benefits.  College QBs now have headphones in their helmets to get the play calls from coach/coordinator right?  So can the QB still get instructions from "Headquarters" as he is calling the signals or does the communication basically end prior to or once inside the huddle.  Inquiring minds like me want to know.  If an OC can quickly survey the defensive setup and adjust the call on the fly and QB can relay that call to his players, it seems to be a huge benefit.  Do I have this right?

Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:58 pm Technology keeps getting better and football benefits.  College QBs now have headphones in their helmets to get the play calls from coach/coordinator right?  So can the QB still get instructions from "Headquarters" as he is calling the signals or does the communication basically end prior to or once inside the huddle.  Inquiring minds like me want to know.  If an OC can quickly survey the defensive setup and adjust the call on the fly and QB can relay that call to his players, it seems to be a huge benefit.  Do I have this right?

That is only happening in the NFL and not in college.  In the NFL, the microphone turns off with 15 seconds left on the play clock and turns back on after the play.

sealhall74

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:06 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:58 pm Technology keeps getting better and football benefits.  College QBs now have headphones in their helmets to get the play calls from coach/coordinator right?  So can the QB still get instructions from "Headquarters" as he is calling the signals or does the communication basically end prior to or once inside the huddle.  Inquiring minds like me want to know.  If an OC can quickly survey the defensive setup and adjust the call on the fly and QB can relay that call to his players, it seems to be a huge benefit.  Do I have this right?

That is only happening in the NFL and not in college.  In the NFL, the microphone turns off with 15 seconds left on the play clock and turns back on after the play.

Damn internet.  Do a google on "ncaa quarterback radio helmet rule" and you get a mix of results.  I could swear I watched a college game sometime this year when the QB was putting his hands over the earholes of his helmet doing what I thought was trying to hear the radio communication better.  College coaches running a hurryup offense would not be impacted by the 15 second rule.  Even if it is not allowed in game situations, I still see huge value in practice scenarios.

http://www.gsc.us.com/college-features

Nice video of it in action during practice.  

Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

I'd hate to take away in game jobs for low level assistance and 3rd string QB's.  Some are pretty funny.