WIU Men's Basketball History: Happy Thanksgiving On The Road

beauspencer

As I share WIU men's basketball history tidbits, spreading stories from different eras on this forum is the plan. However; utilizing the Timehop app has brought back some good memories during my three-year run traveling with the team. Today's Timehop (November 22) flashed back to 2012, when Thanksgiving fell on this day, and it was a travel nightmare for those on the trip with men's basketball to Savannah, Georgia.

The Leathernecks met at Western Hall on Thanksgiving Day for a holiday meal at Red Ox Restaurant. A Thanksgiving buffet was on the menu that holiday and the team had a private room downstairs. Following the meal, WIU bused to St. Louis and stayed overnight. An early morning flight was on the itinerary with a 4:45 a.m. wake up call to bus over to the airport for a 6 a.m. flight.

It was no easy flight from St. Louis to Savannah, Georgia. A three-hour layover in Atlanta separated the team from its destination. The team finally arrived at their hotel in Savannah, Georgia around 4 p.m. Friday afternoon. The game would be played the following morning at 11 a.m. Game play was as tired as the team. The teams combined to score 77 points as Savannah State squeaked out a 39-38 win. It was the seventh lowest scoring game of the 2012-13 college basketball season, and the 50 combined possessions ranked eighth lowest in Division I for the year.
sealhall74

Beau, I listened to that one while watching the UCF Womens Tournament in Orlando. I was one of about 50 people there so it was quiet enough I had no trouble following your call.
Embrace the pace of the race.
beauspencer

Haha! Hopefully I didn't put you to sleep. That game was the cure for insomnia!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

If I remember correctly, didn't we play them again later in the year back here in Macomb...and the score was just about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
beauspencer

If I remember correctly, didn't we play them again later in the year back here in Macomb...and the score was just about the same.
Yes! In fact, it was worse! The score at Western Hall was 39-35 in favor of WIU. It ranked as the 5th lowest scoring game of the 2012-13 season. As an aside, Savannah State had a pretty rough trip to Macomb as well. They missed their flight and had to drive four hours to catch a different flight out of Charlotte, NC.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

151 points total in two games of a H&H series. That's like Jr high basketball type scores....but nope, just a Molinari defense ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000