2020-2021 Season Scheduling

wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:54 pmThis year, the Leatherneck Sports Network has a new home online on Mixlr.
You have to pay to get Mixlr

The Athletics Web Site does not mention if the games will still be on WRMS, WJEQ, and WMQZ as they have been in past years.
wiu51

I was told by an employee of the athletic dept that the only radio will be online streaming.
wiu712

wiu51 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:31 pmI was told by an employee of the athletic dept that the only radio will be online streaming.
This seems like a big step backward.

According to the press release, only the home games will be live-streamed. No mention about the road games.

Western needs to move the games back to WIUS-FM. The university owns that station.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:01 pm
wiu51 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:31 pmI was told by an employee of the athletic dept that the only radio will be online streaming.
This seems like a big step backward.

According to the press release, only the home games will be live-streamed. No mention about the road games.

Western needs to move the games back to WIUS-FM. The university owns that station.
From what I see here, Macomb does not have ANY radio station that reaches out more than 12 miles. That is crazy. Times have changed I guess. I can remember listening to Larry Derry on WKAI in my home town of Alexis (about 45 miles north) way back in the day.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locat ... b&state=IL
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Those listed Signal Ranges do not appear to be very accurate.

For example, WKAI (100.1 FM) is listed as 11.1 miles.

But this is their posted coveage area according to Radio-Locator:
Last edited by wiu712 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:53 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:54 pmThis year, the Leatherneck Sports Network has a new home online on Mixlr.
You have to pay to get Mixlr

The Athletics Web Site does not mention if the games will still be on WRMS, WJEQ, and WMQZ as they have been in past years.
You have to pay to broadcast using Mixlr. It doesn't look like you need to pay to listen to Mixlr though (I was just able to listen to a station out of Jamaica for free: https://mixlr.com/suncity-1049fm). I haven't downloaded it yet, but it looks like the Mixlr app is free to download (on iOS, at least) and you only need to register to listen. If you want to be able to broadcast live, you need a paid account though.

I am disappointed that radio isn't an option, but if the audience numbers that they were getting for radio stations aren't good enough to warrant the stations continuing to carry the games, then there's not much they can do about that. I am surprised they're not broadcasting on WIUS/88.3 though. Coverage isn't great (pretty much just within McDonough County), but they do also broadcast online through their website and through Tune-In, which also has an app and is a bit more "universal" than Mixlr.

On the plus side, Mixlr has an integrated chat that we could use for games if you guys want to do that.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:12 am From what I see here, Macomb does not have ANY radio station that reaches out more than 12 miles. That is crazy. Times have changed I guess. I can remember listening to Larry Derry on WKAI in my home town of Alexis (about 45 miles north) way back in the day.

The numbers under Dist./Signal are showing the distance from the location you put in to the transmitter. That's why it's showing such small numbers for the Macomb stations. Like, the center of Macomb is 2.3 miles from the WIUM broadcast tower, which is actually located just a bit south of town.

If you look at WJEQ, it says 4.3 miles, because the tower is down US67 a few miles towards Industry. But WJEQ is a 10,000 watt station that you can pick up pretty easily most days as far as Galesburg, Beardstown, Canton, or Burlington, and on good days, as far as Quincy, Jacksonville, Peoria, or Aledo.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Not having the games on local radio is a big deficit for Western Athletics.

The university owns two radio stations: WIUM and WIUS. The games have been on WIUS in past years.

Eastern Illinois University broadcasts their games on their own radio station WEIU-FM. They even televise some of their games on their own television station WEIU-TV.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:14 am
sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:12 am From what I see here, Macomb does not have ANY radio station that reaches out more than 12 miles. That is crazy. Times have changed I guess. I can remember listening to Larry Derry on WKAI in my home town of Alexis (about 45 miles north) way back in the day.

The numbers under Dist./Signal are showing the distance from the location you put in to the transmitter. That's why it's showing such small numbers for the Macomb stations. Like, the center of Macomb is 2.3 miles from the WIUM broadcast tower, which is actually located just a bit south of town.

If you look at WJEQ, it says 4.3 miles, because the tower is down US67 a few miles towards Industry. But WJEQ is a 10,000 watt station that you can pick up pretty easily most days as far as Galesburg, Beardstown, Canton, or Burlington, and on good days, as far as Quincy, Jacksonville, Peoria, or Aledo.
My bad for misinterpreting the data. Now that that is straightened out, Danielle needs to work things out with WJEQ to get the games broadcast on that station in the future. And just who is this fellow named Fletcher Ford who owns that station and a few others.

https://www.illinoisnewsnow.com/news/lo ... -workflow/

Running a radio station is almost a peopleless operation these days with all of the syndicated content they pull in.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Having to buy the air-time and / or selling local advertising is the big issue when dealing with a commercial radio station.

Western Athletics would not have that worry if they were to use one of their owned-and-operated radio stations to broadcast the games.