2018 Summit League Tournament

LocalYokelFan

I don't think Sioux Falls is a problem. Nice venue, well attended, seems like the players and coaches are well taken care of. If you're the best team, you can win there, even if you are traveling 500 miles -- see WIU WBB last year. Sure the Dakotas have dominated recently - but they are also the most well funded and resource affluent athletic departments in The Summit right now. I know it's different, but UMich just won the Big10 Tourney 600 miles from home; if you're the best, go win.

I really hope we get to see this team a few more times, they've done so much for this program and the school. Clemens, Blumer, Braun, Farrow, Hanneman... what a Sr. class!? Think about what they've accomplished! I hope they can win a few more before they're done.

Last point, Mallory Boyle might be, in my humble opinion, one of the most under appreciated players by a fan base in college basketball. Her length, athleticism, and defensive/rebounding abilities were sorely missed this season. I know JD and Seth's system is guard oriented, but they do need a bit more length and athleticism to get back competitive with the SDs. Boyle was that player who made this team go from really good to special.
Tere North

LocalYokelFan wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 am Mallory Boyle might be, in my humble opinion, one of the most under appreciated players by a fan base in college basketball. Her length, athleticism, and defensive/rebounding abilities were sorely missed this season. I know JD and Seth's system is guard oriented, but they do need a bit more length and athleticism to get back competitive with the SDs. Boyle was that player who made this team go from really good to special.
My prediction is that is what you will see out of Grace Gilmore next year. Just from the little she played this year, she is far more athletic than the other players, especially vertically, and with speed.
wiu712

South Dakota State beat South Dakota 65-50 in today's championship game. Both teams now have a 26-6 record.

Attendance for today's championship game = 8,704.
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:56 pm South Dakota State beat South Dakota 65-50 in today's championship game. Both teams now have a 26-6 record.

Now be interesting to see if South Dakota gets in the NCAA tournament, I say probably not, I think South Dakota St had a better chance getting in if they lost.
leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm
wiu712 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:56 pm South Dakota State beat South Dakota 65-50 in today's championship game. Both teams now have a 26-6 record.

Now be interesting to see if South Dakota gets in the NCAA tournament, I say probably not, I think South Dakota St had a better chance getting in if they lost.
There home loss to Tulsa will really hurt them I think they should get in I'm just not sure they will.
meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:22 am
meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm

There home loss to Tulsa will really hurt them I think they should get in I'm just not sure they will.
i agree, I think they should get in, but don't think they will
wrj

I will never argue that having the tournament in Sioux Falls is not an advantage for my team. I have seen references to the Denny as "Frost South" (Frost Arena being the SDSU home basketball arena).

I saw one post suggesting the tourney over three days utilizing the Pentagon for the lower seed quarterfinals. Keep in mind that the old arena where Sioux Falls first hosted the Summit League Tourney is still in existence and is part of the same complex as the Denny so it could all be played in one building, simultaneously, in two separate arenas.

I don't know the answer for the other schools. I hear the questions every year. I live about 375 miles from the Premier Center and with the Saturday through Tuesday format I find myself using five of my vacation days when I am able to attend. I have only done that three times over the years. I do live in South Dakota.

I asked about the central location after having seen the same discussion from USD fans. When they dropped Fort Wayne, since some rumors have them departing for the Horizon, and added Grand forks, and maybe another school or two, it placed the central location almost in Vermillion. I don't know if any, or all, of those dominoes will ever fall. It appears that the future could place even more geographic argument, in addition to fiscal argument, in keeping the tournament right where it is forever.
A proud lifelong fan of the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State University.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wrj wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am I will never argue that having the tournament in Sioux Falls is not an advantage for my team. I have seen references to the Denny as "Frost South" (Frost Arena being the SDSU home basketball arena).

I saw one post suggesting the tourney over three days utilizing the Pentagon for the lower seed quarterfinals. Keep in mind that the old arena where Sioux Falls first hosted the Summit League Tourney is still in existence and is part of the same complex as the Denny so it could all be played in one building, simultaneously, in two separate arenas.

I don't know the answer for the other schools. I hear the questions every year. I live about 375 miles from the Premier Center and with the Saturday through Tuesday format I find myself using five of my vacation days when I am able to attend. I have only done that three times over the years. I do live in South Dakota.

I asked about the central location after having seen the same discussion from USD fans. When they dropped Fort Wayne, since some rumors have them departing for the Horizon, and added Grand forks, and maybe another school or two, it placed the central location almost in Vermillion. I don't know if any, or all, of those dominoes will ever fall. It appears that the future could place even more geographic argument, in addition to fiscal argument, in keeping the tournament right where it is forever.
I'd forgotten that the building still has the old arena there on the other end. That would make a lot more sense to have it there.
I could easily see them having half the first round games in each arena simultaneously to condense the first round down to one day. You couldn't really make a 3-round tournament into 2 days without making teams play two games in one day, but you could make it a Friday-Sunday thing or maybe a Saturday-Monday thing...either would be easier for travelers.

I don't really have a problem with the location. It's always going to be somewhere...and that somewhere is always going to be close to some schools and not close to other schools...it's just how it works. It just so happens that the South Dakota schools have really good basketball teams right now, but I don't think that moving the tournament is going to do much about that. Sioux Falls is relatively close to the "center" of the conference now, and they obviously put on a good tournament that is well attended...so there's no reason to move it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:35 am
wrj wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am I will never argue that having the tournament in Sioux Falls is not an advantage for my team. I have seen references to the Denny as "Frost South" (Frost Arena being the SDSU home basketball arena).

I'd forgotten that the building still has the old arena there on the other end. That would make a lot more sense to have it there.
I could easily see them having half the first round games in each arena simultaneously to condense the first round down to one day. You couldn't really make a 3-round tournament into 2 days without making teams play two games in one day, but you could make it a Friday-Sunday thing or maybe a Saturday-Monday thing...either would be easier for travelers.

I don't really have a problem with the location. It's always going to be somewhere...and that somewhere is always going to be close to some schools and not close to other schools...it's just how it works. It just so happens that the South Dakota schools have really good basketball teams right now, but I don't think that moving the tournament is going to do much about that. Sioux Falls is relatively close to the "center" of the conference now, and they obviously put on a good tournament that is well attended...so there's no reason to move it.
You would have to give up the fan fest with all of the pep rallies and shooting games going on in the old arena right now, at least for the one day. I think the smaller scale and newer Pentagon would be better suited for the quarters than the "Old Barn". The NBA D-League team (actually they call it the "G-League" now to get some Gatorade bucks) also plays in the Pentagon so would have to work around their schedule to make it happen.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm You would have to give up the fan fest with all of the pep rallies and shooting games going on in the old arena right now, at least for the one day. I think the smaller scale and newer Pentagon would be better suited for the quarters than the "Old Barn". The NBA D-League team (actually they call it the "G-League" now to get some Gatorade bucks) also plays in the Pentagon so would have to work around their schedule to make it happen.
Do they use the exhibit halls in the convention center between the two arenas during the tournament?
They could probably set up most of that stuff in those rooms if they weren't using them.
http://www.siouxfallscc.com/media/2279/ ... t-2016.pdf
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000