2021 Offseason Roster Changes

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Found an article online that lists all the women who have entered the transfer portal this school year. It lists two players for us:
Grace Gilmore (grad transfer) - this winter was technically her 4th season playing for us, but since this season doesn't actually count against eligibility, she can play one more season.
Maddie Mock (freshman) - played in 16 games this season, averaging 5.1 minutes per game and 1.1 ppg.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Ugh, that stinks on both accounts... Grace was one of their better players. i wonder if she will try to take a "step up" for her last year.

Mock was a "big" that I thought could be become a very good player for them.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:16 am Ugh, that stinks on both accounts... Grace was one of their better players. i wonder if she will try to take a "step up" for her last year.

Mock was a "big" that I thought could be become a very good player for them.
Yeah, I hate to see really good players leave, especially in their last year, but at least with Gilmore, she might be going somewhere else because she wants a grad degree at a school that's highly-ranked for her major. If that's the case, I can't fault her for doing what's best for her future career opportunities.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Gilmore is going to Nova Southeastern University for her last year of eligibility and to get her Masters degree. NSU is a Private (nonsectarian) DII school in Davie, FL with over 24k students that plays in the Sunshine State Conference. Gilmore was a Physical Therapy major and NSU is heavily focused in health care and related research, so it sounds like a pretty good school for her area of focus (sounds like she'll be getting her grad degree in Nutrition with a concentration in sports nutrition). Also, with as good as she is, she should do really well at the DII level.

letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:16 pm Gilmore is going to Nova Southeastern University for her last year of eligibility and to get her Masters degree. NSU is a Private (nonsectarian) DII school in Davie, FL with over 24k students that plays in the Sunshine State Conference. Gilmore was a Physical Therapy major and NSU is heavily focused in health care and related research, so it sounds like a pretty good school for her area of focus (sounds like she'll be getting her grad degree in Nutrition with a concentration in sports nutrition). Also, with as good as she is, she should do really well at the DII level.

Yeah, hell of a get for Nova. Good for her and maybe she can come back and work with WIU athletics.
leatherneckcountry

A really nice school I had a buddy that transferred there and played for there men's team for 2 yrs.
wiu712

WIU Women’s Basketball Team Adds Two Transfers.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/48151/sports ... transfers/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not a player, but we've added Coach Ashley McGee to the staff as an assistant coach: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2021/7/ ... staff.aspx
Previously HC at Jefferson College (Hillsboro, MO...just a bit south of St. Louis) and originally from Milwaukee, WI.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:58 pm Not a player, but we've added Coach Ashley McGee to the staff as an assistant coach: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2021/7/ ... staff.aspx
Previously HC at Jefferson College (Hillsboro, MO...just a bit south of St. Louis) and originally from Milwaukee, WI.
Looks like she is replacing Kennedy.