What happened to David Beauchem, track coach

trackguy

can someone on here speculate on why David Beauchem was let go as the WIU track coach, guy is a pretty good coach, so something pretty bad must have happened for him to be fired??
sealhall74

Was he let go or did he step down to maybe take a step up? From way out east, it appears that the current track programs (both men and women) are not even close to being able to compete with the *Dakota* teams in the Summit League. We do have a star or two shining at the moment but not much else to speak about.
Embrace the pace of the race.
trackguy

I heard from a good source Dave was indeed fired, although the release states his contract was not renewed. I competed against Dave in college, and like I mentioned he's had success coaching in the past and has become involved in USA track and field. So something had to have happened here.

Not sure if WIU will be able to compete with the western schools in the conference, not even sure if WIU fully funds the men's and women's track/cc teams?
LocalFan

I too heard he was let go and also that few of the athletes were sad to see him go. Apparently, he still lives in Peoria and wasn't around much and didn't seem committed to the program. Perhaps it just wasn't a good fit for him and WIU. Best of luck to him in the future.
trackguy

thanks for that info, that's too bad he went out that way, Dave seems like a good guy and a good coach, he'd have had WIU doing well had he been able to hang around a few more years. I wonder if he just wanted his family to stay in Peoria?
LocalFan wrote:I too heard he was let go and also that few of the athletes were sad to see him go. Apparently, he still lives in Peoria and wasn't around much and didn't seem committed to the program. Perhaps it just wasn't a good fit for him and WIU. Best of luck to him in the future.
Neckfansince71

Welcome home Coach Stevenson! ;) jc
trackguy

Dave was hired by SIU after Sparks bolted for Notre Dame

http://www.siusalukis.com/sports/c-xc/m ... 17435.html

apparently a runner from WIU had transferred to SIU a couple years ago, so must have known something was up?
Tere North

Seems rather odd, like each step of the way he is moving down - though he has not ended up at his alma mater.

Coaching Career (1993-Present)
University of Illinois (Assistant Coach, 1993-94)
Bradley University (Head Coach, 1994-2010)
Western Illinois University (Head Coach, 2010-14)
Southern Illinois University (Head Cross Country, Assistant Track, 2014-Present)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A couple of other things though:

The Assistant Coach position at the U of I was a volunteer position, so wasn't really paid probably.
SIU is where he went to school and where he ran track, so it's possible that his primary goal was to gain experience and once a job opened up to coach there, he'd take it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000