Western's National Championships

wiu712

While at the the basketball games on Saturday, I noticed a plaque in the front lobby of Western Hall that honors the 1964 and 1965 NAIA Men's Gymnastics National Championships.
leatherface

Thanks for passing this along. I remember Western having a strong program when I was a freshman in 64. In fact, I believe LSU even came to Western for some type of meet- might be wrong on location. However, I remember Western competing against them and other top programs in the country. We have had some national championships, too bad they were so long ago in another time and another place oh so far away!!!! :)
leatherface

I actually made myself older than I am :oops: I was a freshman in HS in 64, a freshman at Western in 68. However, everything else I noted stands. Strong program with national competition;however, I'm not sure when gymnastics was dis-continued. About the same time as wrestling, and I believe it could have had to do with Title 9 requirements.
Neckfansince71

Have the 1959 and 1962 NAIA National Championships in men's golf been mentioned? ;) jc
leatherface

Nope- another championship. So far we have: golf,water polo,gymnastics as team sports along with fishing and bowling as club sports? Swimming a fourth place national team finish. Anything else? In this age with folks getting excited when one of our teams make the conference tourney, it's good to look back at our accomplishments. Football has always been our bell cow- even in the lean years. :)
wiu712

I was at the Rec Center today. There are 6 National Championship banners hanging from the rafters over the basketball courts.

Three are for the Water Polo NAIA National Championships in 1968, 1969, and 1970.

The other three for the Men's Bowling Team Inter-Collegiate National Championships in 1999, 2001, and 2002.
wiu712

Just noticed another national championship banner hanging at the Rec Center.

It is for 2010 Disc Golf Doubles National Championship.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

When I was at the women's basketball game today, I noticed the plaque for the NC gymnastics team, so I shot a photo for you guys to take a look at. If you want to take a look at it in person, it's in the west-side (right if you're looking at the front of Western Hall) entryway, on the east-side (left) wall, a bit to the right of the women's bathroom entrance.

Anyway, here it is:

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Interesting to note that the NAIA does not even have Gymnastics as a sport today.
Embrace the pace of the race.