New Front Page

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 9:08 am Will get you the embed stuff. Also, you know about this little Google sheet magic, right? Put the following formula in a sheet cell and you can import any html TABLE. They also have a way to import XML (=IMPORTXML(URL, query)). I am not too good at that one but I have used it.

=IMPORTHTML("http://www.goleathernecks.com/calendar. ... ,"table",3)

Did not want that to turn into a link, but you get the idea
Hmmm....ok, I'll have to take a look at that. See if it gets me anywhere near where I need it to be. I mostly use php to parse through stuff like xml or json, since they've got some nice built-in functions for that (for example: http://php.net/manual/en/function.xml-p ... struct.php), but things like ical/webcal feeds can be tricky at times. I don't really have an easy way to scrape a table though, so maybe that'll make things easier. Might also help with my player data spreadsheet. Usually I just copy the table and throw it into google docs, and I've then I've got formulas that draw up some charts showing players at each position that are at each "eligibility year", so I can fairly easily see who we're going to be losing/graduating after the season, and which positions are young and which are experienced.

Thanks for the info.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

Looks great. Very nice. Is it possible to replace the Macomb webcam with a Western webcam?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherface wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:56 am Looks great. Very nice. Is it possible to replace the Macomb webcam with a Western webcam?
If you know of a Western webcam, then I'd be glad to. As far as I'm aware, the downtown Macomb one is the only one that is running.
leatherface

No, I don't know of a Western webcam. It was a simple non threatening question.
sealhall74

I think we need to start up a GoFundMe for one of these bad boys on top of Sherman.

https://www.surveillance-video.com/came ... oCxQnw_wcB

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Well, I'm not going to say you can't do something like that, but you could probably go with something significantly cheaper (like, under $200) for a good quality indoor IP camera. The conference room right next to my office has windows that face north from the 3rd floor of Seal Hall. The window furthest to the east in that room is right next to a power outlet and a network port (if it's a wired IP camera) connected to our local wireless router (if it's a wireless IP camera). Plug it in, connect it up to a website, stick it in the window, and we're good to go with a view essentially like this (just shot this with my iphone...the weather is beautiful here today...perfect for graduation and having everyone's family and friends in town).

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:24 pm Well, I'm not going to say you can't do something like that, but you could probably go with something significantly cheaper (like, under $200) for a good quality indoor IP camera. The conference room right next to my office has windows that face north from the 3rd floor of Seal Hall. The window furthest to the east in that room is right next to a power outlet and a network port (if it's a wired IP camera) connected to our local wireless router (if it's a wireless IP camera). Plug it in, connect it up to a website, stick it in the window, and we're good to go with a view essentially like this (just shot this with my iphone...the weather is beautiful here today...perfect for graduation and having everyone's family and friends in town).

Think BIG ST. With the more expensive one, you might be able to catch those clowns ripping off letters from in front of the Alumni House. For those 5K runs which start and stop in front of Sherman, you might be able to use it for photo finishes. ;)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:44 pm Think BIG ST. With the more expensive one, you might be able to catch those clowns ripping off letters from in front of the Alumni House. For those 5K runs which start and stop in front of Sherman, you might be able to use it for photo finishes. ;)
Hey, with my budget, $200 is "thinking big".
sealhall74

Suggestion for a cosmetic change to front page:

Use different background colors for the "Recent Results" and "Upcoming Schedule" items.
Could also use the same colors in the title as a sort of legend.
Maybe a light red (stop) for recent results and a light green (go) for upcoming schedule?
Or a light blue (cold) for recent and a light red (hot) for upcoming schedule?
Another approach would be to put a separator bar between the two groups.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 am Suggestion for a cosmetic change to front page:

Use different background colors for the "Recent Results" and "Upcoming Schedule" items.
Could also use the same colors in the title as a sort of legend.
Maybe a light red (stop) for recent results and a light green (go) for upcoming schedule?
Or a light blue (cold) for recent and a light red (hot) for upcoming schedule?
Another approach would be to put a separator bar between the two groups.
Yea, I'm still tweaking it, trying to figure out the best way to handle the schedule. I'm not 100% happy with the way it currently is either, but figured it was better than nothing. Ideally/eventually, I want to just have two separate sections. One for "recent scores/results" and the other for "upcoming schedule".