Forum update

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I've embedded that iframe in a page that is viewable here: http://www.leathernecknation.net/pickem.php
I noticed that the template width is narrower than the pickem window is formatted, so you'd have to scroll to the side. So, I put in a "standalone" version...button that opens a window with just the pickem and a google ad down at the bottom.

The standalone version should look, to most people, pretty much how it looked last year, just with the ad. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Also, just fyi, the picture that is supposed to show up under the MVFC title on the right side of the page, it shows up as broken for me (and I assume, for most other people). I think that if you have that image loaded into your google drive, you should be able to change the permissions on it so that anyone with a link can view it and it should show up (you can test it by opening up the pickem link in an incognito window). If not, then I could host a copy under the leathernecknation.net domain and you could link to it from there maybe.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:12 pm I've embedded that iframe in a page that is viewable here: http://www.leathernecknation.net/pickem.php
I noticed that the template width is narrower than the pickem window is formatted, so you'd have to scroll to the side. So, I put in a "standalone" version...button that opens a window with just the pickem and a google ad down at the bottom.

The standalone version should look, to most people, pretty much how it looked last year, just with the ad. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Also, just fyi, the picture that is supposed to show up under the MVFC title on the right side of the page, it shows up as broken for me (and I assume, for most other people). I think that if you have that image loaded into your google drive, you should be able to change the permissions on it so that anyone with a link can view it and it should show up (you can test it by opening up the pickem link in an incognito window). If not, then I could host a copy under the leathernecknation.net domain and you could link to it from there maybe.
Scott, this page setup seems good to me. Regarding broken image, what browser are you using? MS Edge browser does appear to be a problem child. The image is on my Google drive and shared to anyone with link.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:17 pmScott, this page setup seems good to me. Regarding broken image, what browser are you using? MS Edge browser does appear to be a problem child. The image is on my Google drive and shared to anyone with link.
I usually use Chrome, but let me check the others....

Ok, here's what I see when I load it in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Chrome on iOS:

Chrome:

Firefox:

Edge:

Chrome on iOS:

And, when I try to open that specific image directly, I get the following error:

The issue appears both on my work computer and home computer (both running Windows 10, btw).

Let me know if there's anything else you want me to do on my end to see what's going on with it. Also, I'd appreciate anyone else who's visited the test page linked above to let us know if you see the image there or not. That might help us narrow it down to if it's a problem with the location of the file, entirely on my end, or just something in between.
sealhall74

Scott, I opened up the file and containing folder to Public view. I also added the image to the sheet in two ways (cell formula under the "MVFC" and insert image which I can position wherever I want). I see both on the page when I go to it. Hopefully you see the same. If you dont, I will just give you the image to put on your server and we can see if that approach works.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am Scott, I opened up the file and containing folder to Public view. I also added the image to the sheet in two ways (cell formula under the "MVFC" and insert image which I can position wherever I want). I see both on the page when I go to it. Hopefully you see the same. If you dont, I will just give you the image to put on your server and we can see if that approach works.
Ok, I'm seeing the image on the right side of the page under MVFC, but it is not showing up on the left side (I can see the box and broken image link where it's supposed to be). So, whatever you did for the one on the right, that's the one that's working for me.

We can still put it on the server if you want to do that, but it's up to you.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 am
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am Scott, I opened up the file and containing folder to Public view. I also added the image to the sheet in two ways (cell formula under the "MVFC" and insert image which I can position wherever I want). I see both on the page when I go to it. Hopefully you see the same. If you dont, I will just give you the image to put on your server and we can see if that approach works.
Ok, I'm seeing the image on the right side of the page under MVFC, but it is not showing up on the left side (I can see the box and broken image link where it's supposed to be). So, whatever you did for the one on the right, that's the one that's working for me.

We can still put it on the server if you want to do that, but it's up to you.
I will go with the approach on the right for now. I used that one long time ago but gave up on it when Google moved to their new sheets a year or two back. It was not working for me but I guess they have fixed it or it was a permission issue. I will try to have schedule and everything in place in next week so I can kick it around a bit.
sealhall74

Scott, I have installed everything (I think). Not ready to go live yet though. Could you login as Guest and tell me whether or not you see the "Circled i" in each game box which allows you to get the Massey Matchup info when you hover on it. Seems like occasionally that image does not get rendered for me and I just see a box with word "Info" next to it.

Thanks
sealhall74

ST, I think we are ready to go live. I will send out email to past users with details tomorrow and will announce on other MVFC bulletin boards on Friday.

I guess we need a top level tab button to the pickem page. The link to the app that I give out in the announcement will be to that page. Some users might still use the old direct link to my published spreadsheet. I dont think I can prevent that.

BTW, my nickname in the game will no longer be sealhall74. Going with ZZStop74. I needed a nickname near end of alphabet to overcome a problem with Google pivot tables. By keeping everyone else ahead of me, I am the only one that has to experience that Google bug.
Pivot table ranges do not get automatically extended when new rows are added at end of sheet. I found no programmatic way to handle it.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm ST, I think we are ready to go live. I will send out email to past users with details tomorrow and will announce on other MVFC bulletin boards on Friday.

I guess we need a top level tab button to the pickem page. The link to the app that I give out in the announcement will be to that page. Some users might still use the old direct link to my published spreadsheet. I dont think I can prevent that.

BTW, my nickname in the game will no longer be sealhall74. Going with ZZStop74. I needed a nickname near end of alphabet to overcome a problem with Google pivot tables. By keeping everyone else ahead of me, I am the only one that has to experience that Google bug.
Pivot table ranges do not get automatically extended when new rows are added at end of sheet. I found no programmatic way to handle it.
Don't ya just love crazy bugs like that ;)

Ok, the tab is set up. I assume you're going to go mention something on AGS about it too, or do you want me to go do that?
Probably this thread would be best for it: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ey-s-Pizza
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:53 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm ST, I think we are ready to go live. I will send out email to past users with details tomorrow and will announce on other MVFC bulletin boards on Friday.

Don't ya just love crazy bugs like that ;)

Ok, the tab is set up. I assume you're going to go mention something on AGS about it too, or do you want me to go do that?
Probably this thread would be best for it: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ey-s-Pizza
If you don't mind doing on AGS, I think that would be better as you have a lot more "rapartee" going there than I do. FYI, three game picks during the opening weekend and none are MVFC. I didnt really want to include them but my program chooses the best non-MVFC matchups and those just happened to be it so it is what it is.