2019 Week 1 - Western Illinois at North Alabama (8/29/19)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western Illinois Leathernecks at North Alabama Lions
Image @ Image

Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 7:00 PM Central

Radio: Leatherneck Sports Network, Lions Sports on 97.1 WBCF
TV : ESPN+

Game Notes & Preview:
Western Illinois
North Alabama

History: WIU and UNA have never played each other before (this is UNA's first year playing a full DI schedule).
WIU in 2018 - 5-6 overall, 5-5 against FCS teams, 4-4 against MVFC teams
UNA in 2018 - 7-3 overall, 3-2 against FCS teams

Weather Prediction: Upper 70's, 65% humidity, 0% chance of precipitation, wind under 5 mph.
Current Weather Predictions for all WIU games this season.

Odds:
Massey Ratings - 97% chance of WIU win, predicted score of 35-7
Sagarin Ratings - ~16 point win for WIU predicted
5dimes.eu - ~20 point win for WIU predicted, O/U of 49.5 (their odds are suggesting about a 45-15 win for WIU)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Assuming we sent UNA our 2 deep and this is what we'll show, but a lot popped out at me. First off, did we move to a 4-3?

We've had plenty of 2 deeps over the years where that's not how the game started or who sees the most snaps, but a bunch of young guys showing up. I'll wait and see what we come out with, but some youngins out there.

FR Ousely and rFR Williams at CB - Both long bodies which would be nice, but thought we'd see Smith and maybe Wahee. Maybe their later arrivals put them behind a bit.

rFR Malkow starting, rFR Williams backing up Hopp, FR Rowland and O'janovac both backups - Is Mike Ross injured or did he get beat out?

Thought we'd see Thompson on the chart at RB, but sure we'll see all three getting carries.

Whyte at FB behind Ratko and not Drake.

Figured Benton had a chance to start at LB. Not shocked by Barkalow as the backup TE, but wonder if Angel will eventually move into the 2 deep.

12 Freshman and 8 Soph's on the 2 deep and that doesn't include the returners. If this plays fairly true and this team puts together some decent wins, the future looks really bright!!!!!
BobLovely

I am going to be conservative with my prediction. This team is unknown to us and it is a road game:

Western Illinois 31
North Alabama 22

Bob
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

BobLovely wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:34 pm I am going to be conservative with my prediction. This team is unknown to us and it is a road game:

Western Illinois 31
North Alabama 22

Bob
That's my thought too. Too many question marks at this point. I still think we'll most likely win, but not the blowout that most places seem to be predicting.
Western_101

Thanks for doing this every year Lawson. These are 11(12) favorite threads every year!

Heat and humidity will be an advantage to the Alabama boys (oops sorry I mean gentlemen, can't call women girls... extremely offensive/degrading).

Good news is its a late start maybe some of the energy zapping H&H will have diminished somewhat. I would say the Necks are 17 point fave. Home field gives the lions three points the heat gives them two more.

I expect this to be a fight in the sense that UNA believes they can win and will make the 'Necks curse and hurt and sweat for 3 hours.
Western_101

I assume Western Is Flying down to Florence. If not it would be a brutal 10 hour bus ride. Team would leave 1 day earlier but this is not a good formula for D-I road success. It still appears Western values D-I football so.... when does the flight leave from Quad City?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Thanks for doing this every year Lawson. These are 11(12) favorite threads every year!

Heat and humidity will be an advantage to the Alabama boys (oops sorry I mean gentlemen, can't call women girls... extremely offensive/degrading).

Good news is its a late start maybe some of the energy zapping H&H will have diminished somewhat. I would say the Necks are 17 point fave. Home field gives the lions three points the heat gives them two more.

I expect this to be a fight in the sense that UNA believes they can win and will make the 'Necks curse and hurt and sweat for 3 hours.

I don't think the weather is going to be an issue. It's supposed to be in the 70s by kickoff and humidity isn't any worse than it is in Macomb this week.

EDIT - just checked and at kickoff, it's supposed to be the exact same temperature in Macomb as it is in Florence, AL. Also, about 10% points less humidity in AL than it will be in Macomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu51

I just heard they are not flying.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu51 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:03 am I just heard they are not flying.
Just under 9 hours (plus meals and other stops). I've done most of that drive in one day before with two kids in the car, but it wasn't much fun.
wiu712

WIU Football begins game-week prep.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... -week-prep

New faces look to lead the Leathernecks to a big season.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/44854/sports ... ig-season/