2019 Week 3 - Western Illinois vs Montana State

sealhall74

First WIU football game I have missed in person or online listening/watching since I dont know when. That is what a Honeydo list will do to a guy.
Embrace the pace of the race.
BobLovely

BobLovely wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:33 pm Well, I guess it is time for my prediction:

Montana State 34
Western Illinois 21

At present, we are no match for a quality FCS program...

Bob
I was close enough with my prediction. It was positive to see "some" improvement. A "work in progress" at best...

Bob
sealhall74

Only thing I got to go on is the boxscore. We rush the ball 30 times and pick up only 81 yards. Therein lies the problem IMHO. Hope the studs return sooner rather than later.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:40 am Only thing I got to go on is the boxscore. We rush the ball 30 times and pick up only 81 yards. Therein lies the problem IMHO. Hope the studs return sooner rather than later.
Still fairly young O-Line: In the 2-deep from last Saturday's game, there's 0 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, 3 redshirt freshmen, and 2 true freshmen. We have only 1 senior listed on the O-Line roster at all, and that's the Duke transfer, Reno Rosene, who is either injured and we haven't heard about it, or hasn't earned a spot in the 2-deep at this point.

Plus, what feels like anyone capable of running the ball is injured. We have only one player averaging (barely) over 50 yards per game, and that's Kendon Walker who didn't play against Montana State.
I don't have any idea when Max Norris, Vic Johnson, or Kendon Walker are supposed to be back, how severe their injuries might be, or even if we'll see them this season. My hope is that if the injuries are serious enough to keep guys like Norris and John Brunner out for most or all of the season, that they're able to get medical waivers from the NCAA to get another shot at their "Senior" years.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:04 am
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:40 am Only thing I got to go on is the boxscore. We rush the ball 30 times and pick up only 81 yards. Therein lies the problem IMHO. Hope the studs return sooner rather than later.
Still fairly young O-Line: In the 2-deep from last Saturday's game, there's 0 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, 3 redshirt freshmen, and 2 true freshmen. We have only 1 senior listed on the O-Line roster at all, and that's the Duke transfer, Reno Rosene, who is either injured and we haven't heard about it, or hasn't earned a spot in the 2-deep at this point.

Plus, what feels like anyone capable of running the ball is injured. We have only one player averaging (barely) over 50 yards per game, and that's Kendon Walker who didn't play against Montana State.
I don't have any idea when Max Norris, Vic Johnson, or Kendon Walker are supposed to be back, how severe their injuries might be, or even if we'll see them this season. My hope is that if the injuries are serious enough to keep guys like Norris and John Brunner out for most or all of the season, that they're able to get medical waivers from the NCAA to get another shot at their "Senior" years.
I did notice Brunner was in a walking boot so I’m guessing he might be out awhile
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:23 pmAttendance at Hanson Field = 4,728.
Kinda sad, but if you want to call this good news, this number is actually higher reported attendance than any home game last year. Last year's high was Homecoming at 4,532.

rocki

At least in the pictures I've seen, the home side looked pretty well populated.

Not saying we don't have a long way to go, but it was more attended than a lot of games I saw last year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:42 pm At least in the pictures I've seen, the home side looked pretty well populated.

Not saying we don't have a long way to go, but it was more attended than a lot of games I saw last year.
Technically it was more attended than any of the games you saw last year ;)

You're right though...the west side seemed pretty decent. Almost nobody except the band and some MSU fans on the east side though.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:21 pmThe west side seemed pretty decent. Almost nobody except the band and some MSU fans on the east side though.
The Student Section was moved back to the west side last year.

Long-time Western fans will remember that the students sat on the west side through the 1970 season. The student section was moved to the east side in 1971.

Leathernecks edged out 23-14 by Montana State in home-opener.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/45176/sports ... me-opener/
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:18 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:21 pmThe west side seemed pretty decent. Almost nobody except the band and some MSU fans on the east side though.
The Student Section was moved back to the west side last year.

Long-time Western fans will remember that the students sat on the west side through the 1970 season. The student section was moved to the east side in 1971.

Leathernecks edged out 23-14 by Montana State in home-opener.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/45176/sports ... me-opener/
Honestly the students are going to sit wherever they want I almost always sit on the east side but with how hot it was I sat on the west side Saturday.