Summit League and Area Teams in Postseason Tournaments

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
leatherneckcountry

Loyola coach Porter Moser to Oklahoma is picking up steam.
leatherneckcountry

Arizona pulls off the upset over UCONN tonight and will play conference rival Stanford in the Championship.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

#3 Arizona falls in the Women's championship game, 54-53, to #1 Stanford
Sam Thomas played 37 minutes, had 7 rebounds and 1 steal.

Also, regarding Oral Roberts run in the NCAA tournament, not sure if you all realize this, but it means a bit of extra money for Western. The NCAA distributes money from the tournament to the conferences through a complicated system of "units"...conferences earn units for tournament wins. Essentially, Oral Roberts winning two games and making it to the Sweet 16 gets the conference a bit over $4M extra, distributed over 6 years and split among the 9 Summit League teams. What it means for Western is essentially an extra (roughly) $75k per year for 6 years going into our athletics budget that we were not expecting to have available. It's not a ton of money, but I bet it helps to ease the financial stress that this last year has caused...at least a little.

Here's an article that digs into the details a bit: https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zon ... mit-League
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:38 am #3 Arizona falls in the Women's championship game, 54-53, to #1 Stanford
Sam Thomas played 37 minutes, had 7 rebounds and 1 steal.

Also, regarding Oral Roberts run in the NCAA tournament, not sure if you all realize this, but it means a bit of extra money for Western. The NCAA distributes money from the tournament to the conferences through a complicated system of "units"...conferences earn units for tournament wins. Essentially, Oral Roberts winning two games and making it to the Sweet 16 gets the conference a bit over $4M extra, distributed over 6 years and split among the 9 Summit League teams. What it means for Western is essentially an extra (roughly) $75k per year for 6 years going into our athletics budget that we were not expecting to have available. It's not a ton of money, but I bet it helps to ease the financial stress that this last year has caused...at least a little.

Here's an article that digs into the details a bit: https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zon ... mit-League
I wondered about this as I heard it mentioned for other conferences when they won their first round games, that they got extra money for the win that it would mean a lot to the conference. I'm sure the extra 75K will really come in handy to WIU coffers, esp. this year.
I wonder if it works that way on the women's side, Neither team won their 1st round game, but they did get 2 teams in this year. So does that get the conf any extra money?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:18 pm I wondered about this as I heard it mentioned for other conferences when they won their first round games, that they got extra money for the win that it would mean a lot to the conference. I'm sure the extra 75K will really come in handy to WIU coffers, esp. this year.
I wonder if it works that way on the women's side, Neither team won their 1st round game, but they did get 2 teams in this year. So does that get the conf any extra money?
Looks like the answer can be found here: https://www.sportico.com/leagues/colleg ... 234625281/
The relevant bits are: Men's tournament makes ~$850 million from CBS and Turner; Women's tournament makes $41.8 from ESPN.
And:
If No. 1 seed Stanford wins the women’s NCAA Tournament, the Pac-12 won’t get a single penny for it. Unlike the men’s version, there’s no compensation for participation from the NCAA for either Stanford or its athletic conference. Women’s March Madness appearances aren’t factored into the NCAA’s annual distributions the way participation in the men’s tournament is.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

John wood qualified for the njcaa division 2 tournament after winning there district championship today.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:24 pm
meganeck wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:18 pm I wondered about this as I heard it mentioned for other conferences when they won their first round games, that they got extra money for the win that it would mean a lot to the conference. I'm sure the extra 75K will really come in handy to WIU coffers, esp. this year.
Looks like the answer can be found here: https://www.sportico.com/leagues/colleg ... 234625281/
The relevant bits are: Men's tournament makes ~$850 million from CBS and Turner; Women's tournament makes $41.8 from ESPN.
And:
If No. 1 seed Stanford wins the women’s NCAA Tournament, the Pac-12 won’t get a single penny for it. Unlike the men’s version, there’s no compensation for participation from the NCAA for either Stanford or its athletic conference. Women’s March Madness appearances aren’t factored into the NCAA’s annual distributions the way participation in the men’s tournament is.
Ok thank you Scott.