Let's talk Football

GV Dad

It's a boring Thur night, let's talk some football. Three topics...

1) Which games are you going to attend this Fall? Or, which gams are you most looking forward to watching on TV?
2) What do you feel is the biggest question mark coming into the Season?
3) Favorite Leatherneck Football player(s) of all time?

My answers-

1) I'm looking forward to all games obviously, but 2 really stand out for me. At Montana and home vs SIU. Montana for the atmosphere, and SIU because there is a TON of bad blood between these 2 teams right now.
2) Offensive Line, specifically OT. There is a lot of young talent on the OL, and I'm hoping they continue to grow. In my opinion, always the most important positions on the team after QB.
3) Haven't been around WIU for very long, but my pick is Sean McGuire. One of the best leaders I have ever been around.

Hopeful to see some posts! From the regulars for sure, but would love to see some new posters!
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:It's a boring Thur night, let's talk some football. Three topics...

1) Which games are you going to attend this Fall? Or, which gams are you most looking forward to watching on TV?

My answers-

1) I'm looking forward to all games obviously, but 2 really stand out for me. At Montana and home vs SIU. Montana for the atmosphere, and SIU because there is a TON of bad blood between these 2 teams right now.
2) Offensive Line, specifically OT. There is a lot of young talent on the OL, and I'm hoping they continue to grow. In my opinion, always the most important positions on the team after QB.
3) Haven't been around WIU for very long, but my pick is Sean McGuire. One of the best leaders I have ever been around.

Hopeful to see some posts! From the regulars for sure, but would love to see some new posters!
My answers

1. I’m looking forward to all the game and I plan on going to: @ Ball State and hopefully Illinois state.

2. Offense line. I think we have the playmakers to make noise and our OL hasn’t done our QB any favors. Hoping his senior year is his year to shine.

3. Herb Donaldson, loved watching him play and Brett Taylor. Great guy and absolute stud linebacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

What position was Herb Donaldson? Also, have to give a shout out to my boy Brian "Spottsy" Spotts! LB class of 1904 I think? :lol:
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:What position was Herb Donaldson? Also, have to give a shout out to my boy Brian "Spottsy" Spotts! LB class of 1904 I think? :lol:
RB. I believe he played for the Rams (St Louis) on the practice squad for a little. I would also guess he holds all of our RB records. But, I could be wrong

leatherneckcountry

I just missed herb offense Matt Barr Defense Zach Glisan biased on that one But also really enjoyed Saunders and Kyle Glazier. I always look forward to the game against that comes from BloNo. Biggest question is for sure both lines to me. Really hope that we can clean up the stupid penalties as well.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 pm 1) Which games are you going to attend this Fall? Or, which gams are you most looking forward to watching on TV?
1. Planning on all the home games, and maybe getting to Northern Iowa in November. When our OOC schedule was getting put together a few years back, I was hoping that I'd be able to make a trip out to Montana for that game and to get to see their stadium, but the last year has really thrown off our vacation plans, so it's not going to work out.

2. O-line...and a bit of the run game. Obviously those two things are fairly closely related. I don't know if our lack of running production has been because the o-line hasn't been opening up holes and getting the d-line pushed back enough, or if the RBs we have just don't have "it". My feeling is it's more on the o-line, but that's just a guess.

3. Mike Scifres, because I had a couple of classes with him when he was an undergrad and he ended up having a fairly long and successful NFL career. I remember seeing him absolutely clothesline a punt returner who'd broken through the defenders and had "only the punter" to beat...I was at the UNIDome when he made "The Kick" (56 yarder that was his first FG attempt in college and is still tied for the #1 longest kick in WIU history) to beat UNI and win the conference championship in 2000...and I was watching the 2009 NFL wild card playoff game where he was integral to the Chargers win, averaging 51.7 yards on 6 punts (including a 67-yarder), finishing with a 52-yarder that pinned the Colts at their own 1 yard line. Khalen Saunders is a close second though.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:34 pm What position was Herb Donaldson? Also, have to give a shout out to my boy Brian "Spottsy" Spotts! LB class of 1904 I think? :lol:
WIU2DC wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:39 pm
GV Dad wrote:What position was Herb Donaldson? Also, have to give a shout out to my boy Brian "Spottsy" Spotts! LB class of 1904 I think? :lol:
RB. I believe he played for the Rams (St Louis) on the practice squad for a little. I would also guess he holds all of our RB records. But, I could be wrong
Donaldson was on the practice squads for the Saints (2009), Cowboys (2009), and Titans (2010-2011).

His college records include:
- school's rushing leader in 2006, 2007, and 2008
- had 7 games where he topped 200 rushing yards, including having the only two 300+ yard games in Leatherneck history (328 against Indiana State in '06, and 314 against Missouri State in '07).
- In that '06 ISU game, he also scored 6 TDs, which is the best a WIU player has ever done against DI competition and is tied for #1 in the conference.
- #2, #5, and #6 best rushing seasons, averaging over 5.5 yards per carry in each of those seasons.
- #2 and #4 most rushing TDs in a season
- Career #1 for rushing yards (4,746), yards per carry (5.73), TDs (50), 100+ yard games (23), and 200+ yard games (7)
- In the MVFC, his career numbers set the record for most rushing yards (has since been eclipsed by 2 other players) and ranks 5th in the MVFC for the most rushing TDs.
- was the conference offensive player of the year in 2008

So, he pretty much tops nearly all WIU career rushing record lists, and if it weren't for Stecker's incredible 1997 junior season (2,293 yards, 6.265 ypc, 27 TDs), Donaldson would be at the top of the list in most categories for best season as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Dona ... _football)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Last year was the first time since 1999 I haven't watched the Leathernecks play in person, so going to happen, just not picked yet. The plan is to take my 9 year old football crazy son to his first WIU game. I look forward to watching them all on TV and once paid like $70 for the only option pay-per-view against Missouri in 2011. Basically paid a dollar for every point they beat us by (69 to 0).

OL improved as the season went along and Choquette might end up being a stud, so going DL. We had a bunch of new faces last year, but saw limited action from them and now we have more new faces, so not even sure what we actually have. Would prefer we played a 4-3 and went big early downs against run teams.

This is tough, have to many, so will narrow down to top 10. Probably go Michna, Hartwell, Donaldson, Lenior, Lito Senatus, Lee Russell, Jason Williams, Saunders, Glazier, and McGuire.
letsgonecks

Been bothering me that I left off Taylor, so guess I'm going top 11 and adding Brett.
GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:43 am Been bothering me that I left off Taylor, so guess I'm going top 11 and adding Brett.
LOL, ya Brett was a stud! If you and your son get to a game this year would love to have you both stop by our tailgate! Message me when you decide which game.