Work on the scoreboard/video board

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Video board was going up this morning. Looked like a good portion of it was up when I left for lunch. I'll try to get a photo later today and post it so you guys can take a look.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Current video board status (as of around 4:45 PM today). Click for larger version.
I'm not sure the video part is really that much bigger, but hopefully the technology is improved so that they can do replays and stuff during the game (and the addition of speakers to the board would be nice).

wiu712

Looks like they have flipped the set-up.  The video board is on the top, and the scoreboard is on the bottom.
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:54 pm Looks like they have flipped the set-up.  The video board is on the top, and the scoreboard is on the bottom.

Yeah that would probably be my only complaint.

Neckfansince71

The old board was kinda 50/50 as far as score board versus digital board which included the top cornice of Western Illinois University. It was the best Tommy Bell could do at that moment in time.  I have a picture that was sent to me that has one of the large speakers being installed at the top of the new board all across the top in fact.  I would say now the ratio is 20/80, scoreboard vs. digital and it looks great.  Speakers are hid behind the Title at the top.  

Now, here is hoping that the old boards get hung in a position to include them more in the game instead of hung like pictures on a wall.  They had to do that so they could easily transfer them back to Hanson.  No need to do that any more.  Also, let me know when the new boards for softball and soccer go up at each venue please?

Women obliterated Columbia which is not really a surprise.  I am excited about the men tonight and this entire season! ;)
 jc
letsgonecks

Assuming the video board will function with all the standard scoreboard info while not showing footage.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I can confirm that the speakers on the new scoreboard work.

From my wife who works in Sherman Hall: "I can hear it in my office over my headphones listening to a meeting"

Recorded from my office in Seal Hall, facing the stadium, this afternoon...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U6ZRpGzuPwtM34R27

Western_101

Whoa! Scott that is some impressive sound! I would estimate where you are standing to be aprox 1/4 mile from scoreboard. Not a huge fan of "Smashmouth" that got a lot of heavy rotation play back in '98 Hahahahaha.

Didn't you used to be on the 3rd floor of Seal Hall? 

Thank you for posting the pictures of the videoboard/scoreboard. Thank's for the video confirming that that mofo can crank out some sound!

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:13 pm Whoa! Scott that is some impressive sound! I would estimate where you are standing to be aprox 1/4 mile from scoreboard. Not a huge fan of "Smashmouth" that got a lot of heavy rotation play back in '98 Hahahahaha.

Didn't you used to be on the 3rd floor of Seal Hall? 

Thank you for posting the pictures of the videoboard/scoreboard. Thank's for the video confirming that that mofo can crank out some sound!

Pretty much exactly 1/4 mile from the location of the scoreboard to the windows of my office. I used to be on the 3rd floor (with a great view of the football field), but in January they moved us down to the first floor and they're getting money from the state to house an IDHS (Illinois Department of Human Services) Family Community Resource Center there. They weren't playing Smashmouth for long, just a minute or so. Most of what they had going was Eminem and AC/DC...really just testing it out with whatever they had on hand.
Western_101

I say that Sh*t just clownin' 

"Stan" was huge in '98 or '99 I had my first apartment after College in Schaumburg  8th floor Valley Lake Drive.

Seriously, I hope this NICE bit of upgrade and maybe whatever music fuels the team is a bit of a driver for a win.  Also make it loud at the right times, Also, yes it is cliche, but we need the ominous Intro of Hell's Bells on every 3rd down.