Khalen's opinion of the Transfer Portal

GV Dad

GV Dad

Khalen always has a way of putting things into perspective   :D

I'm not a fan of the Portal personally, but it's here to stay.  So, let's use it to our advantage, and also keep our guys happy so they don't want to look elsewhere.  I would like the Portal to be limited to Freshman or Graduated players personally.  I also think Covid has a lot to do with the high numbers in the portal.  Most kids couldn't take official visits to really be able to make an informed decision.  Hard to do that virtually.  Not impossible, but definitely a disadvantage over previous classes.  

What do you guys think about the Portal?
sealhall74

It would be very interesting to know how many D1 kids sign on the dotted line without a campus visit or at least a coach-led virtual tour of the campus on the kitchen table inside the kid's home.  Phone calls and texts only get you so far in life.

But I do think there are a certain element of players who just want to play.  They were stars in their little HS from day one.  Probably never had to work too hard to maintain that status.  When they get to college, they are suddenly just another average Joe.  Very risky recruiting that kind of kid.  Oh sure, talk to their HS or AAU coach, and they are "can't miss" prospects but what else would you expect them to say.

I don't think you should ever sign a kid without seeing him perform in a game situation, live and in person.  To do that, you really need a couple of dedicated recruiters on your staff, guys who can drive or fly around the country for the Friday night lights matchups.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:47 am Khalen always has a way of putting things into perspective   :D

I'm not a fan of the Portal personally, but it's here to stay.  So, let's use it to our advantage, and also keep our guys happy so they don't want to look elsewhere.  I would like the Portal to be limited to Freshman or Graduated players personally.  I also think Covid has a lot to do with the high numbers in the portal.  Most kids couldn't take official visits to really be able to make an informed decision.  Hard to do that virtually.  Not impossible, but definitely a disadvantage over previous classes.  

It's a mixed bag...players have more options available to them, which is good, but like Khalen said, some have a tendency to jump at the first sign of adversity. It's hard being a fan of a team that loses a lot of guys to the portal, but there's also a much larger pool of athletes there that might be interested and we have benefited somewhat from that ourselves. I agree that COVID had a lot to do with it really ramping up the last couple of years and hopefully things will settle down a bit over the next year or two, but it's not going anywhere. Really though, I think it's less that the portal exists and more that players are allowed to transfer anywhere without having to sit out, which is what's causing so many to look at transferring.

I like your suggestion of limiting it to Freshmen or Graduated players, but I think I'd go with it this way:
If you are a freshman (4 years of eligibility remaining...you either haven't played yet, or have only played 4 or fewer games in a "redshirt" year) or graduating senior, you can transfer anywhere without sitting out a year.
If your team has undergone a HC change, you can enter the transfer portal after 1 week following the new coach being hired. This would give the new HC a chance to talk with the players first...then if they still want to leave, they can. This transfer can also happen without sitting out a year.
If you are a sophomore, junior, or senior (as in, you have 2+ years of eligibility remaining and this is at least your second season on the team), you can transfer, but you have to sit out a season.

I feel like this would be a good balance that would allow:
  • young players who didn't really know what they were getting into a chance to find a better place for them to be
  • players who have finished their undergrad degrees the opportunity to go to another school to work on a secondary degree
  • an option for players who see a major change in the coaching staff to meet the new coach and then make their decision
  • an "emergency out" for players who are mid-career and for whatever reason the situation has become untenable. Making them sit out a year would make this option much less utilized, but available if it was absolutely neccessary

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

No IMMEDIATE eligibility for same level transfers else the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  Immediate OK for dropping down a level like it used to be.  Does not need to be a sit out a full year.  I would go with a graduated sit out period.  If you transfer to a school which did not do so good previous year, you sit out less time, maybe none.  As a math major, I could come up with the formula but you get the idea.  This solution promotes balance and parity.

Last edited by sealhall74 on Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

It should be like it used to be. Sit for a year A to A. You get to play immediately if it’s A to AA. Do you want to play or not. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
meganeck

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:47 am Khalen always has a way of putting things into perspective   :D

Another reason for the high numbers of transfer is probably because of the extra year players are getting. The guy that was 2nd on the depth chart thinking next yeatri should be the starter and boom said guy decides to come back for another year and the second stringer decides he doesn't want to sit on the bench another year. Also with all the coaching changes, players are transferring because the coach they signed to play is now not there.

I don't like it, it is basically free agency in college. They need to adjust it somehow, I don't mind players being able to transfer but this isn't it.

GV Dad

It looks like the NCAA is going to waive the 25 "initial count" rule for the next 2 years.  For FBS schools, you could only have 25 scholarship players per class, and a total of 85 scholarship players on the roster each season.  There were other rules and loopholes involved as well that I don't really understand.  But dropping the IC rule for 2 years is going to allow schools to sign more players in the portal.  So there should be a lot of movement in the coming weeks.  Could also see some de-commits from G5 and FCS schools as the Power 5 schools will have more spots to fill.  Going to be a crazy summer!  

WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:It looks like the NCAA is going to waive the 25 "initial count" rule for the next 2 years.  For FBS schools, you could only have 25 scholarship players per class, and a total of 85 scholarship players on the roster each season.  There were other rules and loopholes involved as well that I don't really understand.  But dropping the IC rule for 2 years is going to allow schools to sign more players in the portal.  So there should be a lot of movement in the coming weeks.  Could also see some de-commits from G5 and FCS schools as the Power 5 schools will have more spots to fill.  Going to be a crazy summer!  

For the kids that signed their intent, do they have to play one season before they can join the transfer portal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

That used to be the requirement, I haven’t heard that has changed.