1/20/22 - vs South Dakota

Neckfansince71

Like you said a while back, "move!" ;)
 jc
vatusay

The lane violation after missed free throw and lane violation with chance to tie the game were real bummers. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu712

South Dakota won the game 75-72.

Luka Barisic led the Western scoring with 18 points.  Trenton Massner had 17.  Colton Sandage had 15.  Tamell Pearson had 10.

Western was 7 for 13 on free throws.  South Dakota was 14 for 17.

Next game will be at Western Hall on Saturday (Jan 29) vs Saint Thomas.  Game time is 2:00 PM.

South Dakota basketball holds off Western Illinois at buzzer in 75-72 win, extends win streak to five.
From the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader:
https://www.argusleader.com/story/sport ... 202141002/

Curent Summit League Standings:

South Dakota State  8-0
Oral Roberts  7-2
South Dakota  5-3
North Dakota State  4-3
Kansas City  4-3
Denver 4-5
Western Illinois  3-5
Saint Thomas  2-4
Omaha  2-7
North Dakota  0-7

sealhall74

This might be the most balanced the Summit League has been for a long time.  There are no games you can expect to win handily without bringing your best game.  Outcomes are determined by a lucky bounce here, a dumb mistake there, etc.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

There were several timeouts during the last 2 minutes of the game.  But we never heard the Western Pep Band play anything during those timeouts.  

That would have been the perfect time for the band to play the Fight Song and "Let's Go 'Necks"  --  something to involve and engage the crowd.

Instead, we heard "Crazy Train" over the PA system.   :shock:  :shock:

sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:15 am There were several timeouts during the last 2 minutes of the game.  But we never heard the Western Pep Band play anything during those timeouts.  

That would have been the perfect time for the band to play the Fight Song and "Let's Go 'Necks"  --  something to involve and engage the crowd.

Instead, we heard "Crazy Train" over the PA system.   :shock:  :shock:

I was not there last night but was there on Saturday.  I was very disappointed with the overall atmosphere then.  I was expecting some sort of student section, Purple Platoon, whatever.  Absolutely nothing to be found.  Is this yet another Chicken and Egg story?  During warmups, the players see what I see, and dont catch that needed spark to fuel the fire in their bellies? Or is it the students staying away because for the last X number of years, there was not much for them to cheer about? Truth is its never just one thing but a combination of many.  Probably team chemistry has a lot to do with it too.

I have said before I like to get to game about a half hour before tip and see what kind of warmup routines are in use, what players are sinking shots, especially from deep, etc.  I walk in a little later like maybe 15 minute mark, our guys are practicing their dunks (even saw a guy throw it off the board to himself and stuff it back in), the Jacks are concentrating on 3 point shots.  I think Arians hit like 8 or 9 in a row when I was counting.  Nice and easy, nothing to it.  Honestly, that game was over before the tip.  Just frustrating as hell to watch it all transpire.

Update: I had to fix the spelling Arians name.  We pay attention to detail around here, I think.

wiu712

There was a group of Men's Soccer players sitting near me.  They were yelling at the Pep Band to "play the Fight Song" at one of the timeouts during the last 2 minutes of the game.  We heard nothing from the band.

The game-time atmosphere is certainly lacking this year.

sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am There was a group of Men's Soccer players sitting near me.  They were yelling at the Pep Band to "play the Fight Song" at one of the timeouts during the last 2 minutes of the game.  We heard nothing from the band.

The game-time atmosphere is certainly lacking this year.

I had the luxury of watching George Mason for quite a few years living back in Virginia.  Every Pep Band needs that signature song which you save until just the right time during the game.  For them, it was Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer.  It only came once during the game but always well-timed, long media timeout in play, 2nd half when team needed a lift to get over the hump.  It was a spectacle to see how the crowd would react.  The players no doubt felt that energy.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 amI was not there last night but was there on Saturday.  I was very disappointed with the overall atmosphere then.  I was expecting some sort of student section, Purple Platoon, whatever.  Absolutely nothing to be found.  Is this yet another Chicken and Egg story?  During warmups, the players see what I see, and dont catch that needed spark to fuel the fire in their bellies? Or is it the students staying away because for the last X number of years, there was not much for them to cheer about? Truth is its never just one thing but a combination of many.  Probably team chemistry has a lot to do with it too.

It's also possible people are staying away because of the pandemic still going on. I know that's a big part of why I've only been to one game this season and it was while the students were gone. I don't really have any explanation for what the pep band was doing (again, it was February 2020 the last time I actually played with the pep band).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Pep Band is responsible for our home stand losses clear as day!

:D