OVC Expansion

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
WIU2DC

Sycamorefan96 wrote:I've been seeing a rumor a couple of different places that WIU wants to join the OVC, but that WIU doesn't want to pay an entrance fee, and that the OVC and WIU can't come to an agreement on that. Anybody on here know anything about that?

Seems stupid if true. OVC needs another football school and they are collecting several million dollars combined in exit fees already. How much money do they really need?
God, I hope that isn’t true. Football needs to stay in the MVFC. All other sports can go there IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neckfansince71

Once again, let me repeat, this move to the OVC is "dead" at the present time.  You never know what the future may bring but..... ;)
 jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:02 am Once again, let me repeat, this move to the OVC is "dead" at the present time.  You never know what the future may bring but..... ;)
 jc

I will believe it when I hear it from the top.  Silence is defintely not golden in this kind of matter.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

I fear OVC will not be OK with discontinuing sponsoring football. I think they have their sites set on Grand Valley St. and Ferris St.

I have no issues with either school (would rather play them in all sports than the Dakota 4) however if this happens OVC football membership will be at 7 and even if TSU leaves for the SWAC they can still keep their AQ with the 6. 

In my view this is not beneficial to Western. We all would like to stay and compete in the MVFC and many/most would be OK to move Olympic sports to the OVC. So if OVC is able to keep football alive there is no way they would allow Western to join but not bring their football. Yes Western is a bit down in football, however, it is our main sport, and OVC is interested in Western primarily/entirely because they need football members. I feel like the Summit travel is killing us. I don't know what the answer is.
sealhall74

I looked at the record book for Mens Basketball.  In the nearly 40 history of our D1 participation, looking at only D1 teams which we have played 20 or more games (assumed to be teams in the MidCon/Summit), there are only 4 teams we have a winning record against:  NIU, Chicago State, Eastern Michigan, and Youngtown State.  Those were teams from way back when.  We were fairly competitive against the best in the league (Valpo) during the 90s with an overall record of 23-30.  Against the best in the Summit (SDSU), we are something like 5-30.  I dont see much light at the end of the Summit League tunnel in MBB or any other programs for that matter.

Embrace the pace of the race.