T&F/Cross Country

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

New HC, originally from the Macomb area (his linkedin page says Raritan)...past gig was women's XC coach and assistant T&F coach at Akron. His fiancée (I think) is also from Illinois (Normal) and is a professional runner and an assistant track and XC coach also at U of Akron. Wonder if she'll be on staff here pretty quickly.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

This is the perfect hire as far as the Leathernecks are concerned. He is an experienced recruiter with a very good knowledge of the athletes in Iowa and Illinois. He gets Macomb and is very very happy to return. His wife worked with him at Akron and I am sure she will fill one of the coaching roles. Once again, a fantastic hire. jc
meganeck

Like mentioned in another thread, would be nice to know what happened to the previous coach.
Neckfansince71

Numbers of athletes out for track&field/CC had taken a dive. I am sure that had something to do with it in my opinion. We were not recruiting except in the middle distances and that seemed to be due to the Assistant who headed to Wake Forest after a big year. Those are my thoughts. Trey Brokaw is coming happily back to west central Illinois. He has the connections to put some good athletes on the track or course. Need a jump coach and weight coach too. ;) jc
4EverPurple&Gold

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:26 pm This is the perfect hire as far as the Leathernecks are concerned. He is an experienced recruiter with a very good knowledge of the athletes in Iowa and Illinois. He gets Macomb and is very very happy to return. His wife worked with him at Akron and I am sure she will fill one of the coaching roles. Once again, a fantastic hire. jc
Couldn't agree more! Great hire for so many reasons. I saw the last XC coach/Track assistant is at Wake Forest, can't blame him for taking the job there. Seems like his is going to be a head coach somewhere big soon. Good to see we are hiring positions, hopefully they fill other ones asap!
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Seems like Brokaw is really knocking it out of the park with T&F. Couple of times a month there's an article about athletes putting up numbers/times that are getting them in the school's Top 10 list for their respective events.
Just wanted to mention that in case anyone hasn't been paying attention.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Freshman Toriano Tate was named a Summit League Indoor Field Athlete of the Year: https://thesummitleague.org/news/2023/3 ... eiled.aspx

Also, didn't realize this, but Tate is the younger brother of former Leatherneck Football WR, Tony Tate.
Tere North

Coach Brokaw continues to do great things with Track and Field.

Podium Finishers from the Drake Relays
  • Zion Caruthers, Lucas Burmeister, Richard Brown, and Lucas Hofer took 1st place in the Sprint Medley Relay, with a time of 3:23.36.
  • Briza Dure, Aliyah Adams, Nakeita Kessling, and Zwandi Harrison too 2nd place in the 4 x 400 Relay, with a time of 3:51.54.
It's a young and growing team that saw multiple personal bests continue, despite being underfunded in terms of scholarship potential.

Let's get this team fully funded. That still only 30 scholarships, but would be an 50% improvement over where they are now.

Last edited by Tere North on Mon May 01, 2023 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
4EverPurple&Gold

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:51 am Coach Brokaw continues to do great things with Track and Field.

Podium Finishers from the Drake Relays
  • Zion Caruthers, Lucas Burmeister, Richard Brown, and Lucas Hofer took 1st place in the Sprint Medley Relay, with a time of 3:23.36.
  • Briza Dure, Aliyah Adams, Nakeita Kessling, and Zwandi Harrison too 2nd place in the 4 x 400 Relay, with a time of 3:51.54.
It's a young and growing team that saw multiple personal bests continue, despite being underfunded in terms of scholarship potential.

Let's get this team fully funded. That still <30 scholarships, but would be an 50% improvement over where they are now.

This is awesome!! 

I looked on the athletics website and there is no coverage of this! I feel bad for the kids. Seems like only program that is doing well