News from Around the Summit League

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
sealhall74

That was one great display of basketball in Brookings tonight from both teams.  Credit the Midco production crew for a job well done. 
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

South Dakota State beat UCLA 62-59 in a Women's NIT Semi-final game tonight.

Attendance at South Dakota State = 5,227

The South Dakota State women's basketball team is heading to the WNIT Championship.

South Dakota State will host Seton Hall on Saturday, April 2, at 2 p.m. CT. The game will be televised on the CBS Sports Network.

Seton Hall advanced to the championship thanks to a 74-73 win over Middle Tennessee State. Seton Hall led by as many as 22 points against MTSU but saw the lead slip away until reclaiming it with three seconds left to seal the victory.

Attendance at Middle Tennessee State = 4,022

OldHare

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:13 pm That was one great display of basketball in Brookings tonight from both teams.  Credit the Midco production crew for a job well done. 

This was a very physical game.  The calls for "casual" contact were minimal.  I will need to watch replay to verify the idea of non-calls.  It was nearly as exciting as the Alabama game Sunday.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Jackrabbits win 82-50 in the WNIT championship game. Absolutely incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:55 pm Jackrabbits win 82-50 in the WNIT championship game. Absolutely incredible.

Impressive without a doubt.  I can only imagine what that noise was like today.  I was amazed at my lone visit there several years ago. 
How do you beat these Dakota teams?  To borrow some words from former USD football coach Joe Glenn (talking about the NDSU football program), "You don't out-recruit them".  Very much truth IMO.  You have to develop the kids you have, make them physical (as UCLA was) and hope they can shoot the ball a little.

Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Attendance for today's Women's NIT Championship game at South Dakota State = 5,263

OldHare

wiu712 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:33 pm Attendance for today's Women's NIT Championship game at South Dakota State = 5,263

This must have been a difficult environment for the Pirates.  They averaged 655 for regular season home contests and they had a bit over 500 for their 3 home WNIT games.  The 6300 against UConn was a big loss early in season as the opponents averaged 1467 on the road.  This Seton Hall team was not as quick or physical as UCLA & Alabama.  This tournament was a fun end to the season for the Jackrabbit team.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Even UCLA was only averaging somewhere around 1,000 for their home games. Had a bit more than 2k for their game against Stanford, but 5k+ must have seemed absolutely insane for most teams heading to Brookings.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
OldHare

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:35 pm Even UCLA was only averaging somewhere around 1,000 for their home games. Had a bit more than 2k for their game against Stanford, but 5k+ must have seemed absolutely insane for most teams heading to Brookings.

Seton Hall has a gym that holds around 1300 for the WBB.  It is the WNIT format to bid games for hosting.  The final charged $27 for reserved seating and $22 for general admission which was a $5 bump from the semifinal.  I have no idea what the bids would have been, but the numbers should have been in Jackrabbit favor.  Alabama had hosted Houston which brought 739 fans at $5 each.  The Tide were a bit surprised at Frost as well.  The overall down side of the WNIT is that the participants are footing the bills for all travel and hosting.

leatherneckcountry

Former summit coach